Minnesota Post Game Thread

KDB

Good win. We responded to every run/mini-run from Minnesota.

We played a tighter rotation and it worked. Props to the coaches for looking at the analytics and making adjustments.

I think in terms of guard play we have to hand the keys to Trey. None of the others are dependable game to game and Trey seems to play better with a clear role that he knows.

Definitely have benefited from some poor shooting the last two wins. Hats off to the fans for creating an atmosphere that’s tough to play in. Even when our fans are unhappy, and the boos say they were, they still show out and show what being a fan is all about.

Gotta lock in for Purdue now. That’s going to take an effort we haven’t had all year to get a win, but it could be something to turn the season around. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

Got a good start. Second half was pretty choppy. MN couldn’t hit open shots. That’s been the formula for IU wins against P5 teams. 
Ware, Mgbako and Reneau were good on offense. Gallo distributed well. Everyone else was a no show. XJ is a punk. Lucky he wasn’t called for hook and hold

Edited by 13th&Jackson

Good win. Little sloppy here and there down the stretch but that happens. We see that Mackenzie aggressiveness along with the consistency of KW and MR we'll be just fine. Xavier will be fine too. He's an emotional competitor who has been out and wants this so bad he has to realize he has to slow down to speed up. 

7 assists for Trey. Of course the FT stuff is an issue. 

For now. Let's see if our team/program and staff can get lucky enough to beat Purdue for the 4th time in 5 games. 

• Like 6

Good response to a bad game. Thought we struggled keeping them off the offensive boards and struggled with free throws again, but everything else was solid. Minnesota isn’t a great team, but they were 3-1 in the Big Ten before this, so not a pushover either. We also controlled the game and got a much needed double digits margin of victory.

Ultimately these next 3 games will tell us a lot about what to expect the rest of the year.

• Like 5

MM looked... very good, IMO.  Minny ain't incredible, but this isn't non-conference play.  If he can elevate his game, that starts to alleviate a lot.  Agree with someone above that running more thru TG can open this up. XJ off-ball is an interesting idea, opportunities to kick and he cuts when the defense is off balance.  All I know is a couple bong rips and this team was waaaaay more enjoyable to watch

• Like 6

I'd really like to see college basketball get rid of the one-and-one. It's too onerous on the offense, and too often ends up benefiting the defense that committed the infraction. I saw two instances tonight where a missed front end led to a quick run out and basket for the other team. Traditionalists will say make your free throws, but to that I say defend without fouling. The bonus should be two shots every time.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

I'd really like to see college basketball get rid of the one-and-one. It's too onerous on the offense, and too often ends up benefiting the defense that committed the infraction. I saw two instances tonight where a missed front end led to a quick run out and basket for the other team. Traditionalists will say make your free throws, but to that I say defend without fouling. The bonus should be two shots every time.

Agreed. Might be getting off topic, but they should just copy the format that the women use. Men’s college basketball is the only level of basketball that has halves and the 1 and 1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I agree fundamentally, but it does lead to excitement at the end of games and for the most part the team hacking/behind doesn't win.