Minnesota Post Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree fundamentally, but it does lead to excitement at the end of games and for the most part the team hacking/behind doesn't win. 

I totally get the point, but the.. uniqueness and the excitement it can add makes me love it, tbh.  I get why others don't.  It also infuriates me when IU misses the front end, which I will die on my hill saying they must do more than any other team in CBB

12 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I totally get the point, but the.. uniqueness and the excitement it can add makes me love it, tbh.  I get why others don't.  It also infuriates me when IU misses the front end, which I will die on my hill saying they must do more than any other team in CBB

They also seem to be on the brunt end of career nights for bench guys and desperation threes. I swear every game some guy who averages 6.7 points hits 6 threes and scores 25 points, canning sh*t from the parking lot or banking it in with a second left on the clock. But yes. Please make FTs. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

13 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

MM looked... very good, IMO.  Minny ain't incredible, but this isn't non-conference play.  If he can elevate his game, that starts to alleviate a lot.  Agree with someone above that running more thru TG can open this up. XJ off-ball is an interesting idea, opportunities to kick and he cuts when the defense is off balance.  All I know is a couple bong rips and this team was waaaaay more enjoyable to watch

Yes! If he asserts himself more like tonight he will be a force.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Tonight we saw players pass up decent 2s for good 3s for the first time this year. The Galloway play midway through the 2nd half was a great example of this.

And I am here for that all day long. Gotta get comfortable taking them to make a little bit easier to make them when you really need 'em.

• Like 1

Regarding X, I’d like to see Cupps start and get that uptempo established.  I agree with earlier comments that X stands around too much deciding what to do. A 6 yr guy ought to be ablr to quickly initiate a play.  That helps keep our offensive moving, and doesn’t allow the defenders to set up.   Cupps, as a 1yr guy, usually does this better than X imo. 

• Like 2

Happy with the win.

I tried to try to keep up with how much we our scored them when all 5 starters were on the court together.

First half we only played 8 minutes with the starting 5 and outscored them by 15.

Second half I think they played like 10 minutes together and we outscored them by 8

We just need to get more production from the bench plus the PG position 

31 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Does X get the start or should he earn it back?

He needs to earn it back but to be honest I think IU might be better off with Cupps running the point in the first group from a ball movement and consistency stand point. The most consistent thing about X is being inconsistent. 

• Like 6

On thing I noticed about us fans is when the other team misses 3's it is because they just missed them but if they hit them it is always our poor defense. Why if they miss them we don't say it was because we played good defense 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On thing I noticed about us fans is when the weather there team misses 3's it is because they just missed them but if they hit them it is always our poor defense. Why if they miss them we don't say it was because we played good defense 

Because it’s not a saying. Was he in his grill when he missed or made a three? It’s an action. 

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On thing I noticed about us fans is when the weather there team misses 3's it is because they just missed them but if they hit them it is always our poor defense. Why if they miss them we don't say it was because we played good defense 

Think it’s more-so that we just don’t guard the three well, and haven’t all year.  OSU and Minny missed A LOT of open looks. I wouldn’t say that the majority of time we force the misses. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because teams shoot a lot of uncontested threes against IU. Some hit them and others miss them. Against OSU, Gayle and Thorton were 0-12 and most were wide open

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Because teams shoot a lot of uncontested threes against IU. Some hit them and others miss them. Against OSU, Gayle and Thorton were 0-12 and most were wide open

Just looked at our season stat and the opponents are hitting .337 from 3 and we are shooting.332. so we are a terrible 3 point shooting team and a bad 3 point defensive team because of .005% difference 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Think it’s more-so that we just don’t guard the three well, and haven’t all year.  OSU and Minny missed A LOT of open looks. I wouldn’t say that the majority of time we force the misses. 

Well it’s 3 straight games where our opponent didn’t shoot the 3 well, with two of those games coming against good three point shooting teams. At some point our defense has something to do with it.

If you’re an analytical person, kenpom has a series where he talks about whether defenses or offenses control certain statistics. Three point percentage was 83% controlled by offenses. So this just seems like regression to the mean more than anything.

Here’s the article if you’re interested: https://kenpom.com/blog/offense-vs-defense-3point-percentage/

Edited by Kdug

Good bounce back win. I honestly have few complaints about the performance other than FTs and rebounding, specifically in the last 5+ minutes. 

Mac proved tonight what he is capable of. Hope to see more of this from him going forward.  

It also seems that our staff heard the complaints because the substitution patterns were much better and our team flowed much better and controlled momentum for pretty much the entire game. 

Edited by Hoosierdave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just looked at our season stat and the opponents are hitting .337 from 3 and we are shooting.332. so we are a terrible 3 point shooting team and a bad 3 point defensive team because of .005% difference 

I don’t think most argue that we’re bad at it. I think most of us argue that we don’t shoot them enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ForHumanity said:

Does X get the start or should he earn it back?

No.  He didn't show anything in that game that said he should start.  The tie up he had that had him running halfway down the court before he "helped" the player from Minnesota was because of him doing a hook and hold.  If you are the staff I don't see hoe you trust him.  It is Russian Roulette.  Then to add to that, the offense didn't flow with him in.  I know people always say that he is a great on ball defender and all of that but right now that isn't enough to outweigh the negatives.  Head case, lazy with the ball on offense, doesn't facilitate offense...but he may slow the other team's point guard a bit.  No thanks, we have a rim protector back there.  He would get really small doses of time until I felt he was truly positively contributing.

• Like 2