Minnesota Post Game Thread

KDB

6 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t think most argue that we’re bad at it. I think most of us argue that we don’t shoot them enough.

Yes, we’re last in the B1G in both three point shots allowed (8.6) and threes made (5.1). That’s actually an improvement. We were about 3.5 made per game earlier in the year. 

We’re also last in the B1G in FT%, so that creates a lot of pressure to make up scoring on two point baskets

• Like 2

The one thing i really liked in this game was it seemed we really concentrated on early offense in the first half. When Minny made their run late in the second half, it appeared to me we slowed ourselves down, but early we attacked and took good, fairly quick looks. Hope that continues. I see what most say about Johnson slowing things and pounding the ball too much.

• Like 1

so most importantly we won.  i truly don't know how the metrics work.  did we win by enough points to make it a "good win?" huge to see Mtaco looking like what we need.  if he can be anywhere near that consistently, we still may have a chance to be good.  what can you even say about XJ?  he's just not what we need.  that said, as far as him "wanting" to hit that dude or "thinking" about hitting him, i actually think he deserves credit for having the control to not do it.  i also think it is crappy for the home crowd to cheer when he sat.  is that really what they did?  i think i fell asleep at that point.  i want to win Tues so badly and could actually see it.  please let it happen.  tough part is we have 2 auto losses coming right after it, so if we lose Tues which also wouldn't surprise me, things are gonna get rough.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so most importantly we won.  i truly don't know how the metrics work.  did we win by enough points to make it a "good win?" huge to see Mtaco looking like what we need.  if he can be anywhere near that consistently, we still may have a chance to be good.  what can you even say about XJ?  he's just not what we need.  that said, as far as him "wanting" to hit that dude or "thinking" about hitting him, i actually think he deserves credit for having the control to not do it.  i also think it is crappy for the home crowd to cheer when he sat.  is that really what they did?  i think i fell asleep at that point.  i want to win Tues so badly and could actually see it.  please let it happen.  tough part is we have 2 auto losses coming right after it, so if we lose Tues which also wouldn't surprise me, things are gonna get rough.  

In the NET, Minny moved down 6 spots to 86. We moved up 6 spots to 95. 

I really have a distain for Peacock. As long as the public gives into paying to watch a game, the more games are going to go to this format. It's a cash cow! We pay for TV as is but are now paying for more TV. Is this to cover for the NIL $. By not giving into this system, they will have no reason to continue to force the public to pay this tax to watch games.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

I really have a distain for Peacock. As long as the public gives into paying to watch a game, the more games are going to go to this format. It's a cash cow! We pay for TV as is but are now paying for more TV. Is this to cover for the NIL $. By not giving into this system, they will have no reason to continue to force the public to pay this tax to watch games.

Sometimes I miss cable instead of this DLC format. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MSHoosier said:

The one thing i really liked in this game was it seemed we really concentrated on early offense in the first half. When Minny made their run late in the second half, it appeared to me we slowed ourselves down, but early we attacked and took good, fairly quick looks. Hope that continues. I see what most say about Johnson slowing things and pounding the ball too much.

This! They play sooooo much better when they get into the offense early. Push the ball!! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, IUskim said:

Not going to go as far as to say that it turned the season around or anything but a double digit win is nice no matter who it’s against. 

13 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Coaches made a nice adjustment against the zone to put Ware in the high post. Communication among the frontline players was really good

A few good things happened here.  They threw that zone and it did slow us down a few minutes but then we recognized/adjusted and were able to control it.  Had Gunn nailed that three on the first zone possession I would have been out of my seat.  It was just a little hard.  

Also.  With X back, we are again, unpressable.  They tried and even got him into a tight double team but fouled him. 

Going forward, positive that we can handle zones and pressure.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I get the joke.  But to your point.  How are we going to keep Edey from scoring 40 if Payne did whatever he wanted?  

He's never scored 40 in a game in college :) 

But I hear you. He'll get his. I think we might see Sparks in for a while to get physical with him...Nebraska held him to 15 points by limiting his shots (10)...And shooting 61% from 3 didn't hurt :) 

But it's the other kids that we can't let have great games...Check Loyer, Smith, and Jones, and we can win...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I get the joke.  But to your point.  How are we going to keep Edey from scoring 40 if Payne did whatever he wanted?  

If there’s one thing Woody is good at, it’s game planning for Purdue. 

Hopefully Malik’s and Ware’s outside shots will be falling that night and we can try and pull Edey out of the paint. On the defensive end, we know that Purdue doesn’t like bigger guards, so hopefully X and Gallo are keyed in so we can get them uncomfortable and the offensive out of rhythm. 

I don’t have high hopes, but am always excited to watch the match up. We will miss JHS. 

• Like 2

I loved this post game from Mac...The writers keep talking about his offense, but he guides almost everything back to defense, and his progression on that end...I think if he sticks for at least another year, he'll be really special for us...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Kdug said:

Well it’s 3 straight games where our opponent didn’t shoot the 3 well, with two of those games coming against good three point shooting teams. At some point our defense has something to do with it.

If you’re an analytical person, kenpom has a series where he talks about whether defenses or offenses control certain statistics. Three point percentage was 83% controlled by offenses. So this just seems like regression to the mean more than anything.

Here’s the article if you’re interested: https://kenpom.com/blog/offense-vs-defense-3point-percentage/

Yeah but what about the eye test?

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I’m worried about that too after watching the game. I don’t think we’ve really doubled anyone this season have we? My memory might be off on that but I think we may see some of that against Edey. I could see Cupps being a pest and coming up with a couple of steals that way.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But I hear you. He'll get his. I think we might see Sparks in for a while to get physical with him...Nebraska held him to 15 points by limiting his shots (10)...And shooting 61% from 3 didn't hurt :) 

But it's the other kids that we can't let have great games...Check Loyer, Smith, and Jones, and we can win...

I agree on Sparks… I was actually gonna mention I’m surprised  that we didn’t see any of him last night. I’m certainly not gonna complain about the shortened rotation but I thought he could’ve battled with Payne down low.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree, Edey will get his, but Sparks should provide needed relief for Ware. We just need to limit the other guys. We did a great job on Loyer and Smith last year, and in my opinion that’s the key again this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, we’re last in the B1G in both three point shots allowed (8.6) and threes made (5.1). That’s actually an improvement. We were about 3.5 made per game earlier in the year. 

We’re also last in the B1G in FT%, so that creates a lot of pressure to make up scoring on two point baskets

The FT issues are much more worrisome in my opinion.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

Watching Wisconsin: The Conner kid is wasting away on the bench. I hope he enters the portal and IU takes a good hard look at him. From Fort Wayne area.

My understanding is he's not playing due to defensive inefficiencies.  If that's the case, I'm not sure he would be a good fit for coach Woodson.  

• Like 3