Illinois Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe…

Have you read the game threads lately? 

When I’ve watched live, haven’t gone back and read games I watched later such as Wisconsin.

I’m not sure game threads impact our teams performance quite the same as coaches and players. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

When I’ve watched live, haven’t gone back and read games I watched later such as Wisconsin.

I’m not sure game threads impact our teams performance quite the same as coaches and players. 

Yeah, no doubt. Just saying that the fans on here have not done a good job. Myself included 

• Like 1

This was from Don Fischer's radio show interview with Coach Cignetti... I think it's applicable to our basketball team...

"you bought into this process of practicing this way day. One spring fall camp and it carries over to the game. Is. In these tight games, you're not affected by the circumstances of the game. Looking at the scoreboard, you're just doing your job and that's the key 11 guys doing their job.

It'll work out. Not some guy saying, i got to make a play. And which is what happens with losing teams" 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s a road game but our fans are about the only thing you can count on consistently showing up and doing a good job. 

Yeah, we aren't Louisville yet

Attendance at Louisville men's games was 129,205 during the 2022-23 season, down 7% from the prior year and a drop of 71% from the highest annual attendance listed in the report: 443,320 in 2015-16.

That's announced attendance. Tickets scanned are about half of announced. 

35 minutes ago, Coach1K said:

That last one hasn't happened in a long time and seeing the video on that UK got screwed out a title.

If you are talking about Laettner kicking the UK player, then UK would have lost the next game to IU

This game should be interesting and full of thuggish actions. For Illinois we have a charged rapist and for IU we have the cheap shot artists. Hopefully no one gets raped in this one but a couple nut crackers pointed elbows to the melon could make things heated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Not sure why everything thinks the IU team is full of punks. Yes X has acted like it on several occasions and will have to deal with that label. Gunn has one instance and no one else in team has any that I can think of. Gunn reacted poorly and didn’t throw anything with force

2 guys a lot of fans would take as our coach. Fife and Michael Lewis played hard a little dirty  Yet we treat them like heroes

Back to Gunn. I’m Ok with a a F2 or F1. Could have been called nothing. X deserved a F2 for the nut shot. But the Nebraska player should have gotten a F2 also. the play wasn’t blown dead till have he dropped X. if the refs decided not to throw him out because he got hit first than the same logic could have applied to gunn and just left it a foul. Again i think a F2 was Ok and the right call. But it wasn’t extreme contact and could have been dealt with differently. Sparks F1 was a hook and hold but not sure it should have called an F1. He got bulldozed by Edey and both players hooked and held. Sparks was falling down and was the second to let go. That could have and should have stayed a regular foul.  Could have easily went against Edey because he created contact and dislodged sparks. Kaufman-Renn got hooked and held by Iowa when trying to jump and got pulled to the ground by Perkins and it was only called a foul and not reviewed. It was blatant and not even reviewed

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

How great would it be if CMW was in the locker room…..reading posts 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

Not sure why everything thinks the IU team is full of punks. Yes X has acted like it on several occasions and will have to deal with that label. Gunn has one instance and no one else in team has any that I can think of. Gunn reacted poorly and didn’t throw anything with force

2 guys a lot of fans would take as our coach. Fife and Michael Lewis played hard a little dirty  Yet we treat them like heroes

Back to Gunn. I’m Ok with a a F2 or F1. Could have been called nothing. X deserved a F2 for the nut shot. But the Nebraska player should have gotten a F2 also. the play wasn’t blown dead till have he dropped X. if the refs decided not to throw him out because he got hit first than the same logic could have applied to gunn and just left it a foul. Again i think a F2 was Ok and the right call. But it wasn’t extreme contact and could have been dealt with differently. Sparks F1 was a hook and hold but not sure it should have called an F1. He got bulldozed by Edey and both players hooked and held. Sparks was falling down and was the second to let go. That could have and should have stayed a regular foul.  Could have easily went against Edey because he created contact and dislodged sparks. Kaufman-Renn got hooked and held by Iowa when trying to jump and got pulled to the ground by Perkins and it was only called a foul and not reviewed. It was blatant and not even reviewed

honestly i agree.  i don't think this is a particularly bad group of kids.  i'm not even totally convinced X is a bad kid.  i just think the consequences haven't been enough to set the tone.  that's tough to do in today's culture without losing kids.  i get it.  at the same time, there just doesn't seem to be accountability on this team.  if kids don't havr that, they are gonna make bad decisions.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 94hoosier said:

Unfortunately, this IU team is the worst combination. The media narrative and to the casual CBB fan they appear to be a team of punks. In reality, they're soft, especially mentally soft, so opposing teams know they can bait them into dumb responses. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Unfortunately, this IU team is the worst combination. The media narrative and to the casual CBB fan they appear to be a team of punks. In reality, they're soft, especially mentally soft, so opposing teams know they can bait them into dumb responses. 

this i can definitely see