Illinois Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Unfortunately, this IU team is the worst combination. The media narrative and to the casual CBB fan they appear to be a team of punks. In reality, they're soft, especially mentally soft, so opposing teams know they can bait them into dumb responses. 

you are probably right

Loosing is taking a toll on this team and there confidence. The way they have lost is weighing on them as well. You can see it in their body language and faces when the other goes on a run. 

Need to find some in the court leadership fast. 

On 1/21/2024 at 1:30 PM, IUFLA said:

I think if it's not Shannon, it'll be Domask...He's legit...Not the best 3 point shooter, but he'll back you down and he has a great fadeaway once he gets you down there...Good dribble drive game as well...

Coleman I've always described as a billion dollar airport with a $5 control tower :) 

And maddingly inconsistent... 

Coleman's been great and pretty consistent this year. Should be B1G DPOTY but Edey will probably win it. The defensive efficiency numbers with/without him are ridiculous. And he's limited his 30' heat check 3 pointers to 1 per game. 🤣

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What's up with Ware, injury?

Illini should have freshman big man Amani Hansberry back, he's dressing for Wednesday's game after missing a couple of weeks with back spasms. Fits the system better than Dainja but not sure he'll play much.

1 minute ago, BruceDouglas said:

What's up with Ware, injury?

That quote from Woodson is about the extent of what we know. A 7’er with a bad ankle never seems like a great thing though.

If he is out I really hope they play Malik at the 5 instead of Sparks, but I’m not confident we will do that. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That quote from Woodson is about the extent of what we know. A 7’er with a bad ankle never seems like a great thing though.

If he is out I really hope they play Malik at the 5 instead of Sparks, but I’m not confident we will do that. 

We already struggle defensively.  Putting Malik on Coleman would be a nightmare.  

Just now, IU_Realist said:

We already struggle defensively.  Putting Malik on Coleman would be a nightmare.  

We are going to struggle no matter what on defense, especially if Ware is out. Malik is going to have to guard somebody and Walker helps us more against Illinois than Sparks does IMO. 

• Like 2

The fix is simple. All Woodson has to do is tell all the players it’s ok to be good again! Just like he told Rob P two years ago. It’s ok to be good again? Why would you tell a player that? Someone please explain that. 

• Confused 1

As Hummel said, this is a must win for IU to have any hope of getting into the conversation for the NCAAT. Home wins won't be enough.

Last night, then #73 NET Northwestern beat then #11 Illinois at home. NW only moved up from 73 to 69. Home wins over WI and MSU, while currently quad 1, wouldn't be enough to move the needle. 

With IU at NET 100 and no quad 1 wins, they will need to win at least two of three at Illinois, at Purdue and at OSU to move into the conversation. Winning at PSU, MN and MD, just won't matter if they don't get two or three signature road wins. 

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

As Hummel said, this is a must win for IU to have any hope of getting into the conversation for the NCAAT. Home wins won't be enough.

Last night, then #73 NET Northwestern beat then #11 Illinois at home. NW only moved up from 73 to 69. Home wins over WI and MSU, while currently quad 1, wouldn't be enough to move the needle. 

With IU at NET 100 and no quad 1 wins, they will need to win at least two of three at Illinois, at Purdue and at OSU to move into the conversation. Winning at PSU, MN and MD, just won't matter if they don't get two or three signature road wins. 

It sucks to be us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

It sucks to be us.

Yeah, unfortunately if this is another double digit loss then the season is effectively over unless everyone's  excited about whether IU can play its way into the NIT. That's barring a miracle run through the BTT. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, unfortunately if this is another double digit loss then the season is effectively over unless everyone's  excited about whether IU can play its way into the NIT. That's barring a miracle run through the BTT. 

I prepared for that eventuality a few games ago.  The season is effectively over for anything we care about from a post season or accomplishment perspective.  Only thing team is likely playing for at this point is pride and that isn't the type of thing I think is going to move the needle much.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Does NIT stand for Not In Tournament? Just asking for a friend. 

• Haha 4

On 1/22/2024 at 1:11 PM, IU Scott said:

One of the best college players I have ever seen but he was p###k

The rest is history for every  guy who plays for Duke that fits his mold of personality of the bad boy image. 

Edited by Coach1K

3 hours ago, ForHumanity said:

Woody says X needs to find himself. Sorry, X isn't the answer, but rather the problem.

After 5 1/2 years is it possible?

The train has left the station...Choo-choo...

Have you ever thought (rhetorical question) that being a 5 1/2 yr  super duper senior in itself can F**k with someones head who had dreams of more? In college life, he's James Garner reading the notebook of IU MBB over.... well his entire life.

And a Jordan River runs through it.

• Like 1