Your Take on the State of Things

Your Take on the State of Things  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you with regards to the state of the program?

• Things are just fine. Why are we talking about changing coaches?
    • Things aren't good but I believe CMW can turn it around.
    • Things suck and I have my doubts about CMW but am willing to see how next season plays out.
    • Things suck and am convinced CMW will not be able to turn things around so we need to make a change.
    • Don't care. I'm a Purdue troll or just here for the snacks

I’m between 3-4. I’m thinking he MIGHT deserve another year and prob gets another year, but I’m leaning towards the fact he shouldn’t get another year. I am teetering bc I don’t know what’s best for next year. 

Sorry, just giving a reason for why I voted the way I did. I won’t debate it. 😂

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m between 3-4. I’m thinking he MIGHT deserve another year and prob gets another year, but I’m leaning towards the fact he shouldn’t get another year. I am teetering bc I don’t know what’s best for next year. 

I’m in the same boat. I don’t really want him to come back… I’d rather make a switch this offseason. BUT, I think it is possible he can turn the team around next season… I just don’t have a ton of confidence in him to be able to do that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

The thing I don't get is that he deserves another season or it's fair for him to get one.

What is fair to Mike Woodson very well may not be fair to the players, the fans, the alumni, the boosters, or anyone else in the program. When you're a highly compensated executive, you don't get the same runway or the same level of "fair". The question really should be every single season, is XYZ coach the best person to lead us forward IMO.

In the case of Woodson, that pretty clearly is 'no'.

• Like 5

If we have a guy in mind, I hope it is Pearl.  His style is dynamic and will play well here.  

Beard would have been great because of the style of play and personality on both sides of the court.  But his incident probably disqualifies him with the decision makers.  

I am a huge May fan.  I watched his run last year closely and saw them beat Arizona on a neutral court this year.  I think he would easily be an upgrade today.  Love the offense.  My concerns are the defense, but I can’t say if that’s personnel related or would he need a defensive coordinator.   He’s just not as proven as Pearl who simply wins at every stop.  

Nate Oats, Scott Drew, the guy at So Carolina ….impressive for various reasons.  Scherz: I like him but he may be one stop short on production.  

• Like 2

I was not a fan of the hire, but was holding out hope and was generally supportive of CMW until the Northwestern/Nebraska debacles. My fear is that things turn really ugly next season if he is back and we lose out on the talented 25 recruits as well.

That being said, I am all for hiring Beard, Oats, Scott Drew, Bennett, or Pearl. I would probably be good with May as well.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The thing I don't get is that he deserves another season or it's fair for him to get one.

What is fair to Mike Woodson very well may not be fair to the players, the fans, the alumni, the boosters, or anyone else in the program. When you're a highly compensated executive, you don't get the same runway or the same level of "fair". The question really should be every single season, is XYZ coach the best person to lead us forward IMO.

Very good points and I can’t disagree. You’re right, it shouldn’t be about what’s fair to him. It should be about, is he the right guy to move us forward? I’m just on the fence, given the fact he did make the last two NCAA tournaments (certainly have my own opinion, similar to many others why he did, but that’s debatable at best) does he deserve another year to prove he his? On the other side, every part of the game has deteriorated over the last three years, along with his stubbornness to adjust, I have zero faith he’s the right guy. 

I think I said I wasn’t going to debate in this thread. 😂🥴

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

If you’re going to hire Dusty May you almost have to fire Mike Woodson this year. May has 4-5 contributors all with a Covid year remaining and I sense there’s a good possibility a good chunk of that core would follow him. 

Keeping Woodson an additional season simply to delay the inevitable could be a potential death sentence for May before he coaches a game. This current staff isn’t going to land a recruit in the 2025 class and there’s a real possibility the entire roster is turned over after the next season once guys like Leal, Galloway, and Sparks exhaust their eligibility. Maybe Cupps comes back for his junior season? Either way, tasking May with having to potentially bring 10+ guys in his 1st season has disaster written all over it.  Mike Woodson has failed this program miserably. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Exactly. I like Woodson as a person, but he doesn’t deserve anything in terms of coaching into the future. All of that is earned, and he’s heavily compensated to be the coach.

I’ve said it in a different thread or earlier in this thread, but ultimately Dolson needs to do what’s best for the program. You see it in pro sports all the time where a coach gets fired who didn’t “deserve” to (I.e. the Cubs and David Ross), but those teams are doing what they think is in their best interest. With how much money goes into IU basketball, they need to start acting like a big time/pro organization.

• Like 3

it's just hard to understand the 2 who voted they think he can turn it around.  would like to hear their reasoning.  then add to it 9 who think he deserves another year.  do they think he can turn it around or they just think it's fine to have it be a nightmare season then go ahead and fire him?

• Haha 1