Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why do you feel the need to get involved? We know what you think about the NIL and paying players, even though the Polly Purebreds at Purdue think they don't...

Worry more about your team getting past the first round...

He's freaking right though!! 

If Woodson dumps one of Gunn or Banks (think what Crean did finding Nick Zeisloft)---- fills the empty scholly with a guard of some sort---just for freaking depth and so we didn't have to run Cupps through the wringer as a FR... 

Our season could have been a lot different. Orrrrr... just developed Banks as a 4, not taken Walker's transfer, and filled that spot with a wing. 

But I'm telling you right now--- the optics are that the staff was lazy and decided to sit on their hands. Again, the optics.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If Woodson dumps one of Gunn or Banks (think what Crean did finding Nick Zeisloft)---- fills the empty scholly with a guard of some sort---just for freaking depth and so we didn't have to run Cupps through the wringer as a FR... 

Our season could have been a lot different. Orrrrr... just developed Banks as a 4, not taken Walker's transfer, and filled that spot with a wing. 

But I'm telling you right now--- the optics are that the staff was lazy and decided to sit on their hands. Again, the optics.

Exactly! And this roster is far from devoid of talent. A few tweaks to the roster, a few tweaks to the style of play, and this team is squarely in the talk for a decent seed. This staff completed failed. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Spot on

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Depends on who we could have grabbed...The name I heard most was Nick Timberlake...Look at his stats this year and tell me he would have helped...

As far as "optics" goes, I'm not a big fan of either "optics" or "perception." I'm more of a real world/truth kinda guy...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Depends on who we could have grabbed...The name I heard most was Nick Timberlake...Look at his stats this year and tell me he would have helped...

As far as "optics" goes, I'm not a big fan of either "optics" or "perception." I'm more of a real world/truth kinda guy...

I can understand that, but then.. win... and you don't have to deal with people wondering... 

My issue is that the only name floated. Why? There were 4 billion people in the transfer portal. And yes NT would have helped us plenty, he gets mins on a Top 10 basketball team. Timberlake > Gunn by A LOT.... you go get NT, and another PG for depth.. and this season looks a lot different. 

• Like 5

Just now, btownqb said:

I can understand that, but then.. win... and you don't have to deal with people wondering... 

My issue is that the only name floated. Why? There were 4 billion people in the transfer portal. And yes NT would have helped us plenty, he gets mins on a Top 10 basketball team. Timberlake > Gunn by A LOT.... you go get NT, and another PG for depth.. and this season looks a lot different. 

Disagree with that...I don't think Timberlake makes much of a difference for us this year...

Not much to say Timberlake over Gunn...

image.thumb.png.001b93815828bc4bbdca06ced66ed81d.png

Haven't watched enough of Kansas to see Timberlake on the defensive end, but I'm not sure Timberlake is a better defender...He's definitely struggled from distance against better competition...

Now Knecht is a different story...But he opted to go elsewhere...it happens...

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Caleb Love got floated and was apparently ours to lose, then somehow the two butted heads on something and he isn't here. If it had anything to do with play style, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Caleb Love was right about now liking what he heard. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

Disagree with that...I don't think Timberlake makes much of a difference for us this year...

Haven't watched enough of Kansas to see Timberlake on the defensive end, but I'm not sure Timberlake is a better defender...He's definitely struggled from distance against better competition...

Why do you think IU couldn't pull in more impactful players? Is it something wrong with IU or something wrong with how they were pitched? Or did we just not cast a wide enough net? Something else? 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My theory, even though I don't know anything.... 

I truly think that Woody wanted to delegate tasks, similar to how you would in the NBA - thinking it'd be more efficient. I don't think it was laziness....maybe naive, but not lazy. 

I think how he utilized the transfer portal last year again was not laziness, but a huge error in judgement (I'm sure this is something that he'd HAVE to admit privately). The mistake was big enough to possibly bring him down. 

The question is: can he dig himself out of the hole he finds himself in? This spring will tell us all we need to know...his back is against the wall. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Do you think CJ Gunn gets 14mpg and 4 starts at KU!?!? 

Timberlake was just the example. The lack of other names is the issue!! It was LAZY!!

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I truly think that Woody wanted to delegate tasks, similar to how you would in the NBA - thinking it'd be more efficient. I don't think it was laziness....maybe naive, but not lazy. 

Let's just assume this is true for a moment....

It underscores the problem with the entire experiment in the first place. We hired an unsuccessful, life-long NBA coach that had no clue about the college game because one of his buddies is President of the BoT, who also has no relevant college basketball experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Do you think CJ Gunn gets 14mpg and 4 starts at KU!?!? 

Timberlake was just the example. The lack of other names is the issue!! It was LAZY!!

I don't know...But neither do you...I'm just showing you in the time they have gotten, there's not a wide statistical difference...Except in 3 point shooting, which most cite as our biggest deficiency...

Glad we got the win yesterday. Was able to listen to whole second half. This was a game that we should have won even with the struggles all year.  The season looks a lot differently if we had not dropped those winnable games at home. we have to much talent to be in the bottom half of a very weak league. Finish strong the next 2 and see what happens in the BTT

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...But neither do you...I'm just showing you in the time they have gotten, there's not a wide statistical difference...Except in 3 point shooting, which most cite as our biggest deficiency...

I can 100% answer that CJ Gunn gets ZERO mins on any top 10 teams. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd rather have Timberlake on the bench than an empty chair. 

Regardless, I think that pigeon holing us into a reality where Knecht, Timberlake and Love were our only options is not accurate. That's just who we went after. There were hundreds of guards in the portal.

But if you want to use Timberlake as an example: we were never really in good shape with him anyway. He made his decision relatively early, and we had a ton of time to identify more guards to plug into this roster. We didn't. It's just the cold hard truth.

I just hope the lesson was learned. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'd rather have Timberlake on the bench than an empty chair. 

Regardless, I think that pigeon holing us into a reality where Knecht, Timberlake and Love were our only options is not accurate. That's just who we went after. There were hundreds of guards in the portal.

But if you want to use Timberlake as an example: we were never really in good shape with him anyway. He made his decision relatively early, and we had a ton of time to identify more guards to plug into this roster. We didn't. It's just the cold hard truth.

I just hope the lesson was learned. 

I simply used Timberlake as ONE example...there could have been better choices, but also could have been worse...And I'm not going to cover every guy we were (supposedly) on...

But that's all Monday morning QBing...and I'm not real big on that...You make the decisions, and you live with the results...

15 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I agree, and hopefully one that could potentially stick around longer than a year.

This is a very important part about building a program…and a culture. You can’t build a culture when a majority of your players are from the portal every year. If we are only bringing in 1-2 freshman a year than pretty quickly the majority of your team will be leaving every year and your starting from scratch. Woody has to understand that. The season isn’t long enough to figure out how to get over the hump.

Portal may be like free agency in the nba but that’s about as far as it goes. You can’t sustain a program on that alone. You can fill a hole but to bring in all these different personalities and agendas and marry them up from one year to the next with no continuity…that ain’t going to work. Its why I’m really worried about next year…1 HS recruit…and that kid projects as a one and done possibly….how the he!! Are you suppose to build a program on one year kids from the portal and HS. IU still has no identity…it doesn’t have to be all or nothing but you need to stack some classes of recruits with the DNA you are trying to build and I see none of that. As bad as things were with Archie he brought in tough minded kids that would play defense and rebound….once woody lost Archie’s core what has he replaced it with???

Edited by dgambill

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I simply used Timberlake as ONE example...there could have been better choices, but also could have been worse...And I'm not going to cover every guy we were (supposedly) on...

But that's all Monday morning QBing...and I'm not real big on that...You make the decisions, and you live with the results...

Yeah, but it’s not Monday morning QBing if you bring it up Sunday before the game. I remember having discussions with you back in the summer about picking up one more player to fill that last roster spot. You were ultimately right because you didn’t think we were going to fill that spot and I did. (Not that you were against filling that last spot) I just thought that there could be no way the roster was complete because we needed another guard.

I also remember @BGleas saying that in this day and age of the transfer portal, you simply can’t not leave a roster spot open. There were many more forewarning this sentiment. 

And then once we accepted that spot wasn’t going to be filled, as good fans we tried to justify it. (Now, bringing up these points is Monday Morning QBing - haha):

- Gallo shot over 40% last season!
- Gunn and Banks are having amazing workouts!
- Cupps was a great shooter in high school and he’s starting the ‘Breakfast Club’
- WHY ISN’T XJ PRESEASON ALL BIG TEN! WHO’S BETTER THAN HIM? Lol
- Malik and Ware are not Race and Trayce because Ware will play out on the perimeter. 
- The guys putting out preseason rankings are under estimating us!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

- Gallo shot over 40% last season!
- Gunn and Banks are having amazing workouts!
- Cupps was a great shooter in high school and he’s starting the ‘Breakfast Club’
- WHY ISN’T XJ PRESEASON ALL BIG TEN! WHO’S BETTER THAN HIM? Lol
- Malik and Ware are not Race and Trayce because Ware will play out on the perimeter. 
- The guys putting out preseason rankings are under estimating us!

Point 1 is 100% valid...I'm not sure anyone thought Trey would regress so badly...

Point 4 was kinda interrupted by injuries, no? Did you watch the game yesterday? Did XJ make a difference? 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Point 1 is 100% valid...I'm not sure anyone thought Trey would regress so badly...

Point 4 was kinda interrupted by injuries, no? Did you watch the game yesterday? Did XJ make a difference? 

Huge difference AND we still need another guard. haha. 

but even healthy i'm not sure he's consistent enough for first or second team all B1G. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Huge difference AND we still need another guard. haha. 

but even healthy i'm not sure he's consistent enough for first or second team all B1G. 

2021-22 XJ was honorable mention All Big 10...I don't think it's a giant leap of faith to think he could elevate that...

He has struggled with consistency, but always seemed to have an interruption, injury or self inflicted :) just when he was rolling...

Honest question...Do you believe that this season would be different if XJ was healthy all year?

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

2021-22 XJ was honorable mention All Big 10...I don't think it's a giant leap of faith to think he could elevate that...

He has struggled with consistency, but always seemed to have an interruption, injury or self inflicted :) just when he was rolling...

Honest question...Do you believe that this season would be different if XJ was healthy all year?

Definitely. I think we'd maybe have another 3 wins. Mainly because he can pressure the ball. I still don't believe we are a tournament team with a healthy XJ though. And this has to be the bar. 

I don't see Woody running the offense differently with XJ in the lineup - and I don't think the way we play inside out is sustainable in CBB, let alone fun to watch. And I don't think his presence hides our roster construction issues. 

I also think XJ getting injured was why so many were right when they were calling for another guard in the portal. There wasn't a contingency plan in place. It was always a risk banking on an injury prone player to start every game of the season. 

Edited by tdhoosier

Saying we have a young team is one thing and I don't necessarily disagree with that statement but it doesn't excuse being a barely Top 100 team this season. I expect more improvement over the course of the season. Which, maybe we are finally seeing that now but barring a miracle BTT run it is far too late.

• Like 5