Maryland Post Game Thread

KDB

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

I totally understand where you are coming from and definitely have reservations but definitely hoping a change is made because if not this may be a HUGE rebuild where almost everyone leaves.

If those rumors of how unhappy the players are is true…it would be a huge rebuild either way. Not sure I believe all those either.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If those rumors of how unhappy the players are is true…it would be a huge rebuild either way. Not sure I believe all those either.

Yes I’m sure some are false but I do think your top guys who could get persuaded with money if unhappy would absolutely leave.

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Actually I didn’t read anything from BTB so I had zero idea he said it. I hope it’s true too

He said something like that our first choice is good to go and our backup plan is as well. He said that our next coach could be coaching in the final four sober might have to wait.

What and where did you hear something 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, we are...

Experience means something in college basketball... 

XJ 6 years

Galloway 4 years

Leal 4 years

Walker 4 years

Ware 2 years

Reneau 2 years

Gunn 2 years

MM 1 year

Cupps 1 year

These are the players who played today and to me that is a lot of experience 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

If we could just bottle that up for two halves we could beat the top half of the B1G. Very good win…but let’s have some consistency next year hopefully.  Back to back wins for the first time since December that’s just not good.

We really need to find a special point guard in the portal next year…one that can knife up a defense like sashimi. It’s all I want a IU…a few 3pt shooters…a rim protector, and a point guard that can break down his man. Let’s get to work after the season…its all I want for my birthday.

I agree, and hopefully one that could potentially stick around longer than a year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

XJ 6 years

Galloway 4 years

Leal 4 years

Walker 4 years

Ware 2 years

Reneau 2 years

Gunn 2 years

MM 1 year

Cupps 1 year

agreed.  with the new college game of NIL and transfer portal roster turnover is gonna dictate a lot of new faces every year.  young team just can't be an excuse any more.  

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

XJ 6 years

Galloway 4 years

Leal 4 years

Walker 4 years

Ware 2 years

Reneau 2 years

Gunn 2 years

MM 1 year

Cupps 1 year

<Sigh>

If you look at starting lineups, this year our prevailing starting lineup is Cupps, Galloway, Ware, Mgbako, and Reneau and with that lineup, we're 8-8...That group is also our top 5 this year in minutes played per game...they combine for 173 starts at the D1 level...

The team we played yesterday's starting lineup had 414 starts at the D1 level...Purdue? 397...Illinois? 445...

Even Ohio State's most prevalent lineup has 302 starts under their belt...

Leal and Walker are bit players, but I know you threw them in to prop up your argument...But it doesn't...

So the facts say, yes, we're an inexperienced group...But don't let facts get into the way of the "Fire Woody" argument...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Not rumors that are swirling around today apparently 🤷🏻‍♂️

Damn, that means both Billy Donovan and then Brad Stevens already washed out at Indiana. We really might be cursed.

• Haha 1

Much like the "recruiting gurus", you can't believe 99% of the garbage provided online. It's just attention wh0res looking to see who will run with their supposed inside information.

What you have to understand and accept is today's teams anticipate losing multiple players every offseason win or lose. Rebuilding is college basketball. College basketball is rebuilding. The portal is destroying the game but that's how it is.

More important, do you want some of these kids back if they can't get on the floor for a team that has already lost 13 games? I like all the kids on the team but there are some who really need to move on if they want to play and that's been part of the game for decades. Nothing new.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

<Sigh>

If you look at starting lineups, this year our prevailing starting lineup is Cupps, Galloway, Ware, Mgbako, and Reneau and with that lineup, we're 8-8...That group is also our top 5 this year in minutes played per game...they combine for 173 starts at the D1 level...

The team we played yesterday's starting lineup had 414 starts at the D1 level...Purdue? 397...Illinois? 445...

Leal and Walker are bit players, but I know you threw them in to prop up your argument...But it doesn't...

So the facts say, yes, we're an inexperienced group...But don't let facts get into the way of the "Fire Woody" argument...

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

agreed.  with the new college game of NIL and transfer portal roster turnover is gonna dictate a lot of new faces every year.  young team just can't be an excuse any more.  

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

XJ 6 years

Galloway 4 years

Leal 4 years

Walker 4 years

Ware 2 years

Reneau 2 years

Gunn 2 years

MM 1 year

Cupps 1 year

If anyone subscribes to KenPom (I don't anymore) they could settle this by looking at the age (or experience category can't remember the name) that weighs the experience by minutes played and ranks the teams.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

<Sigh>

I think that this is a loaded topic. To your point it's better to be analyzing minutes played vs. how many years they were on a college roster.

However, this can also be easy to cherry pick teams to fit a narrative. Teams like Purdue and Wisconsin who don't recruit highly ranked player and have great development will rarely have an inexperienced roster. Teams like Kentucky and Duke who are able to get 5 star recruits every year will naturally have inexperienced rosters (for most seasons). 

I'd think as a coach, there is a risk/reward when you go big game hunting, you'll have to deal with the woes of having a younger roster. If you're not going after 5 stars then you may need to deal with a lack of athleticism that can create mismatches in March. Bottom line though: you need to build your roster accordingly.

I'm not advocating one strategy over another. I will say if you want to have a roster with 300+ starts, you better be developing the underclassmen you recruit straight from high school. If you're going to constantly be working with an inexperienced roster, you better consistently be recruiting high school players and transfers who can come in, and are ready to play on day 1. 

All that said, if the goal is to play experienced players with starts under their belt, is the future that bright for us? Banks and Gunn are likely transfer candidates who have no starts under their belt. Jakai is obviously injured this season. I'm excited about Cupps, but he has a long way to go still and I can't imagine him starting over a portal PG (fingers crossed). And we only have ONE high school recruit coming in so far. If Mgbako stays, we may eclipse that 300 starts mark late next season, but what about the year after that when Gallo is gone and MM is most likely gone? 

I know you and I disagree...and that's okay...I enjoy the debate. You put more importance (than me) on what Woody has done when he has an experienced roster. I think it's a fair point, but I just don't know how he's going to get back to that success. I personally am unable to see the path, when I factor what we have coming in next year (so far).

I also have concerns about if another systematically inexperienced roster can run Woody's system the way he envisions it being ran. I mean, this is one of the main reason we aren't playing well this year, right? 

To me, it looks like the house is being built on stilts right now. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

<Sigh>

This is why the unused 13th scholarship is such an issue 

Bring in a grad transfer to compete 

With the experience & talent of last years team maybe they underperformed?  They beat down a young Purdue team & a clueless Illini defense….

• Like 2

So, after I thought about it, and realized I'd spent $28 dollars on my wife and I at Grab N Go Tacos yesterday :) I spent the $22 bucks to get all access to Kenpom...

Here are the Big 10 experience rankings...I had to copy and paste it into a spreadsheet

...Higher, of course, in the first column means more experience..2nd is where the team ranks overall

image.png.c5e0dbd1421ef36d6dcebbe422fb5df7.png

Of ALL the teams in D1 basketball, we're 225th...

Of the P6 (B10, B12, ACC, SEC, Big East, and Pac 12) only these teams have less experience than we do...

image.png.b640f7496381ea0ddac8dc7c8b7cc54d.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

This is why the unused 13th scholarship is such an issue 

Bring in a grad transfer to compete 

With the experience & talent of last years team maybe they underperformed?  They beat down a young Purdue team & a clueless Illini defense….

Why do you feel the need to get involved? We know what you think about the NIL and paying players, even though the Polly Purebreds at Purdue think they don't...

Worry more about your team getting past the first round...

• Sad 1

back on subject.....

I didn't get to see the game until last last night. I think that run in the second half was the most fun I had watching IU play this season. It looked like out guards were hunting for shots, rather than hunting feeds into the post. 

XJ, Gallo and MM had 33 shot attempts

Ware and Malik had 16 shot attempts

I like that balance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

If anyone subscribes to KenPom (I don't anymore) they could settle this by looking at the age (or experience category can't remember the name) that weighs the experience by minutes played and ranks the teams.

We are at 1.66 and the average is 1.83. But we also have more talent than the average.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1