2024 Transfer Portal

All the athletes wanted was a piece of the pie.  $500 a month?

But the establishment wanted to keep the free labor as they destroyed conferences for the sake of football đź’°

Same old codgers who ran the Olympics & AAU for a hundred years….

They could have collectively bargained some guard rails but here we are 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I get it. my problem does not lie within the players chasing money. When someone calls it greed, I just hope they are not hypocritical. 

And they usually are.  99 times out of 100, whenever anyone scorns someone about money or blames something on "the rich", it's never about principle.  They'd do the exact same thing they're talking down to the other person about if the shoe was on the other foot.  What it all boils down to is.....there's money involved, and they're not getting any of it, plain and simple. 

26 minutes ago, Tom White said:

Bingo! If the original intent were enforced and money limited to that, the whole landscape would be much better. The way it has become is sickening.

"The way it has become" is "the way it's always been" for decades.  It just wasn't talked about openly.  These amounts of money have always been tossed around in college athletics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yep. So make them employees and they can have money based on how well they perform, they shouldn't just be handed anything. 

If you transfer, you're paying some of it back. 

If you don't perform, you're paying some of it back/having your "scholly" pulled. 

Can't handle public criticism, you're out too. 

Real-world, much more cutthroat, I'm all about it, but I am not necessarily sure that's truly what the players want. 

In other words - performance driven like most jobs, but I doubt that’s what they want either.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

even before the money involvement, there was greed in transferring in the form of more playing time. 

Yeah, but before the rules changed players made a sacrifice too, because they had to sit a year before they could play at a new school unless they got a waiver. 

• Like 1

So I saw on BTB they saw a rumor that Conwell’s dream school was IU. 1, I hope it’s actually true and 2. I really hope IU pursues him. If these are both true do you take him over KC or do you convince them both to come? Also is Rice or KC a point guard? I see they are just boat listed as guards. Conwell I’m pretty sure is a shooting guard.

50 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Penny's Son transferring 

A kid with 3 years of eligibility left transferring OUT of his dad’s program? 🤔

It’s Memphis, so the answer is “probably”, but is that a sign that fit is about to hit the shan in Memphis?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

It’s Memphis, so the answer is “probably”, but is that a sign that fit is about to hit the shan in Memphis?

It's probably just a sign that dad is a sh*tty coach.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

It's probably just a sign that dad is a sh*tty coach.

Do you have any idea about their team? Have you even looked at their record, or did you just decide to spout off like a 14 year old trying to impress his friends?

Sometimes it is difficult for family to work together. Hard to separate personal from business, so to speak. Other players might have a hard times speaking freely around the son, if they happen to get t'ed off at the coach. Makes it uncomfortable for everyone.

Edited by Tom White
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I could see these coaches kids being told by Dad to go out and see how much you can get paid. There’s probably some political pressure around maxing out the coach’s kid

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom White said:

Do you have any idea about their team? Have you even looked at their record, or did you just decide to spout off like a 14 year old trying to impress his friends?

Sometimes it is difficult for family to work together. Hard to separate personal from business, so to speak. Other players might have a hard times speaking freely around the son, if they happen to get t'ed off at the coach. Makes it uncomfortable for everyone.

You okay? Pretty aggressive reply to a respectable poster over a simple possibility. 

4 hours ago, Tom White said:

5ab80b7731e4a_Lightenup.jpg.486a58d468788fd7bd0f9d01b849d2a0.jpg

Penny recruits a lot of talent...never seems to do much with it to be honest.  Yes, I looked at his record and his body of work.  Considering he plays in the AAC and gets a lot of talent, no...I'm not impressed with what he's accomplished.  His approach looks a lot like the old AAU roll the ball out and let em play.  I don't see much coaching or developing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

Penny is 133-61 in six years.

His son didn't play very much.  Maybe transfer to a lesser school, get pt and build that body of work.  

Would you be happy with that in the AAC?  He gets a lot of talent, but IMO, consistently underperforms that talent pool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You okay? Pretty aggressive reply to a respectable poster over a simple possibility. 

I'm fine. I just get tired of people making blanket statements about coaches or players when it appears they have not looked at the record. I've never been a huge fan of Penny, but take a look at how his team performed this past season. Is that the sign of a sh*tty coach? I don't think so.