2024 Transfer Portal

On 4/4/2024 at 10:03 AM, Zlinedavid said:

"The way it has become" is "the way it's always been" for decades.  It just wasn't talked about openly.  These amounts of money have always been tossed around in college athletics. 

Correct. The veil has been pulled back to bring out for public viewing. All wrapped in a cute little package called NIL. Oh, the fans will love it because of this or that. How it is perceived, and intent are 2 different things. College sports viewership will begin to drop. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom White said:

I'm fine. I just get tired of people making blanket statements about coaches or players when it appears they have not looked at the record. I've never been a huge fan of Penny, but take a look at how his team performed this past season. Is that the sign of a sh*tty coach? I don't think so.

I get it, but it’s totally opinionated. Record alone doesn’t speak to the quality or lack of quality from a coach. 

22 hours ago, Tom White said:

I'm fine. I just get tired of people making blanket statements about coaches or players when it appears they have not looked at the record. I've never been a huge fan of Penny, but take a look at how his team performed this past season. Is that the sign of a sh*tty coach? I don't think so.

This is the last time I address you on this or any other subject.  Consider this season:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/memphis/men/2024-schedule.html

I see a weak finish and a soft schedule.  Penny managed to beat Vanderbilt at home by a bucket.  Congratulations.  Peaked at #10 and finished the season unranked with no tournament invite.  This is not a first for Penny despite getting some lottery-caliber commits.  He's gotten 2 tournament invites in six seasons and gone 1-2.  No one ever said he couldn't recruit talent.  On the contrary...he gets plenty of talent and he's had seven NBA players in his six years at Memphis.  Unfortunately, he's not accomplished much with all of that talent.  If I'm a player looking for growth, development and team success, I'm not choosing Penny Hardaway.

...and with that, I'm done.  If you don't like my hot takes, you're free to ignore them.  Since this is a portal thread, I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

How long until Furst puts his name in?

Has he shown any real development?  What little i saw of him this year, he pretty much looked the same as he did when he arrived at Turdue. 

5 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

How long until Furst puts his name in?

What would be the point? He'd be at least a year too late. Furst didn't transfer when Edey was coming back, and stuck around to play fewer minutes as a junior than he did as a freshman. If he's happy with that, why wouldn't he stick around to back up Will Berg?

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

HSN local Purdue guys were saying he's done playing and going to focus on medical studies...? something like that.

I'm surprised unless he qualifies for an academic scholarship.  The family pretty flush?

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

just pointing out numbers. yes 4 star players dont matter.😃

Come on now...We lost 3 kids who were riding the bench for most of the season, and a kid who probably vaulted himself into the first round of the draft...

They lost 2 starters...

For what it's worth, the 4 we lost, including Ware, played 1700 or so minutes...The 2 they lost played over 1900

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Come on now...We lost 3 kids who were riding the bench for most of the season, and a kid who probably vaulted himself into the first round of the draft...

They lost 2 starters...

For what it's worth, the 4 we lost, including Ware, played 1700 or so minutes...The 2 they lost played over 1900

flight all you want. yes 4 star players not improving you made my case. ha.

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

flight all you want. yes 4 star players not improving you made my case. ha.

Well, not quite...Your "case" was that they lost 2, and we lost 4...But boiled down to playing time that didn't pan out for ya...

Both CJ and Kaleb had chances to increase their playing time, and they simply didn't...And I'm not sure Sparks, as nice as a kid as he was, was ever P6 material...

As far as improvement goes, Ware seemed to make quite a jump...Agreed?

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1