2024 Transfer Portal

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, not quite...Your "case" was that they lost 2, and we lost 4...But boiled down to playing time that didn't pan out for ya...

Both CJ and Kaleb had chances to increase their playing time, and they simply didn't...And I'm not sure Spark, as nice as a kid as he was, was ever P6 material...

As far as improvement goes, Ware seemed to make quite a jump...Agreed?

Look Bud. I dont really care that much

50 minutes ago, Indykev said:

flight all you want. yes 4 star players not improving you made my case. ha.

Let's look at this case by case.  I'm leaving out draft entrants and graduates/out of eligibility, so just the transfers that went to another school. 

Year 1 was Lander, Phinisee, Stewart and Durr. Year 2 was Geronimo, Bates and Duncomb.

• Lander averaged 10/8 minutes, 2/3 points and 1/1 assists in his two years at IU.  He averaged 11/23 minutes, 3/9 points and 1/2 assists at WKU.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring. 
  • Phinisee averaged 18 minutes, 4 points, 2 assists, 1 steal and 2 rebounds his last year at IU.  At UC, he averaged 16 minutes, 2 points, 2 assists, 1 steal and 2 rebounds.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring.
  • Durr averaged 7 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebound and 0 blocks in his one year at IU.  He averaged 21 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds and 1 block at UCF.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring.
  • Stewart averaged 24 minutes, 6 points, 1 assist and 2 rebounds in his one year at IU.  Those numbers are also comparable to what he averaged at Pitt.  At UT-Martin, he averaged 31 minutes, 16 points, 2 assists and 4 rebounds.  These are comparable numbers to his previous year at UTM.  His numbers improved, but what all 4 years tell me is that he does better against lesser competition. 
  • Duncomb retired due to injuries and never played for Xavier. 
  • Geronimo averaged 12 minutes, 4 points, 2 rebounds and 1 block his last year at IU.  He averaged 23 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds and 1 block at Maryland.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring.
  • Bates averaged 20 minutes, 6 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal in his last year at IU.  He averaged 27 minutes, 13 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal at Mizzou.  That's a noticeable improvement against comparable competition. 

So out of Woodson's 6 voluntary transfers (not counting Duncomb): 4 clearly did not improve, 1's "improvement" was due to lower competition and 1 clearly did improve.  So 1/6, or 16% of Woodson's transfers improved under a different coach. 

I know your agenda is anti-Woodson, but of the players that transferred out under Woodson, they haven't exactly been lighting it up either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Let's look at this case by case.  I'm leaving out draft entrants and graduates/out of eligibility, so just the transfers that went to another school. 

Year 1 was Lander, Phinisee, Stewart and Durr. Year 2 was Geronimo, Bates and Duncomb.

• Lander averaged 10/8 minutes, 2/3 points and 1/1 assists in his two years at IU.  He averaged 11/23 minutes, 3/9 points and 1/2 assists at WKU.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring. 
  • Phinisee averaged 18 minutes, 4 points, 2 assists, 1 steal and 2 rebounds his last year at IU.  At UC, he averaged 16 minutes, 2 points, 2 assists, 1 steal and 2 rebounds.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring.
  • Durr averaged 7 minutes, 2 points, 1 rebound and 0 blocks in his one year at IU.  He averaged 21 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds and 1 block at UCF.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring.
  • Stewart averaged 24 minutes, 6 points, 1 assist and 2 rebounds in his one year at IU.  Those numbers are also comparable to what he averaged at Pitt.  At UT-Martin, he averaged 31 minutes, 16 points, 2 assists and 4 rebounds.  These are comparable numbers to his previous year at UTM.  His numbers improved, but what all 4 years tell me is that he does better against lesser competition. 
  • Duncomb retired due to injuries and never played for Xavier. 
  • Geronimo averaged 12 minutes, 4 points, 2 rebounds and 1 block his last year at IU.  He averaged 23 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds and 1 block at Maryland.  Didn't improve significantly after transferring.
  • Bates averaged 20 minutes, 6 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal in his last year at IU.  He averaged 27 minutes, 13 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal at Mizzou.  That's a noticeable improvement against comparable competition. 

So out of Woodson's 6 voluntary transfers (not counting Duncomb): 4 clearly did not improve, 1's "improvement" was due to lower competition and 1 clearly did improve.  So 1/6, or 16% of Woodson's transfers improved under a different coach. 

I know your agenda is anti-Woodson, but of the players that transferred out under Woodson, they haven't exactly been lighting it up either. 

For past several years, the number one issue has been recruiting. This issue has exacerbated any insufficiencies/deficiencies in coaching and/or scheme. We have not done a good job with scouting/player evaluation. This lines up with IU simply not having an overall program/team identity, at least from the outside looking in.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

For past several years, the number one issue has been recruiting. This issue has exacerbated any insufficiencies/deficiencies in coaching and/or scheme. We have not done a good job with scouting/player evaluation. This lines up with IU simply not having an overall program/team identity, at least from the outside looking in.

I don’t think it’s poor recruiting but more poor roster construction…and more importantly at the positions that have the biggest impact on the floor (PG ) but guards in general and having shooters that can space the floor or a dynamic athlete that can break down the defense and get to the rim. When we have had guards like that..we’ve been successful…we just haven’t had many of late.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So if my math is correct Indiana St is losing all 5 starters and several bench guys? Good luck to the new coach. Limited NIL $ in a tough conference...see them down the road.

Just another day in the life of a mid major.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

My only point in posting the breakdown of transfers was to shoot down the idea that players are only struggling and not developing here, not to try and address any other issues that the program may have. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My only point in posting the breakdown of transfers was to shoot down the idea that players are only struggling and not developing here, not to try and address any other issues that the program may have. 

I agree, but that was kinda of my point. Most guys that struggle here, struggle elsewhere; they are/were not very good. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think it’s poor recruiting but more poor roster construction…and more importantly at the positions that have the biggest impact on the floor (PG ) but guards in general and having shooters that can space the floor or a dynamic athlete that can break down the defense and get to the rim. When we have had guards like that..we’ve been successful…we just haven’t had many of late.

But I think roster construction has a lot to do with recruiting. And the recruitment of guards is what I am referring to. We've had plenty of talented big men. If we would've hit on as many guards as we did big men, we would have won a lot more. There have been quite of few reaches as far as the group is concerned. I like what we're trying to do in the portal and if we land who we're hearing, we're going to see improvement and quickly. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

But I think roster construction has a lot to do with recruiting. And the recruitment of guards is what I am referring to. We've had plenty of talented big men. If we would hit on as many guards as big men, we would have won a lot more. There have been quite of few reaches as far as the group is concerned. I like what we're trying to do in the portal and if we land who we're hearing, we're going to see improvement and quickly. 

I am with you. I would like to see more emphasis on skills in our recruitment.  You need complementary talent.  

This is not a shot at Woody but something I feel IU has lost for 20 plus years:  being savvy with in-state assessments.   Athleticism and measurables are great and you need some of that.  But really good scouting involves a deep dive into understanding the talent, projecting them, looking at skills, and building a roster of complementary players.   We’ve got to do a better job looking under the hood, understanding a kid’s makeup, motor, toughness.  These are all hallmarks we’ve got to return to IMO.   This is a program issue, not a Woody issue.  You have to look at your built in advantages and find inefficiencies in the market in recruiting.  Indiana has better high school coaching and competition. Kids play in front of 10k like it’s nothing.  Indiana develops sound kids who are skilled, can shoot etc.   We keep launching teams without those attributes.  Not saying we need a small and unathletic team of shooters.  But look at how many mid major players come kick ass at the bigger levels.  Two started for Connecticut.  Take some of those guys and match them with the Wares and Rices etc. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am with you. I would like to see more emphasis on skills in our recruitment.  You need complementary talent.  

This is not a shot at Woody but something I feel IU has lost for 20 plus years:  being savvy with in-state assessments.   Athleticism and measurables are great and you need some of that.  But really good scouting involves a deep dive into understanding the talent, projecting them, looking at skills, and building a roster of complementary players.   We’ve got to do a better job looking under the hood, understanding a kid’s makeup, motor, toughness.  These are all hallmarks we’ve got to return to IMO.   This is a program issue, not a Woody issue.  You have to look at your built in advantages and find inefficiencies in the market in recruiting.  Indiana has better high school coaching and competition. Kids play in front of 10k like it’s nothing.  Indiana develops sound kids who are skilled, can shoot etc.   We keep launching teams without those attributes.  Not saying we need a small and unathletic team of shooters.  But look at how many mid major players come kick ass at the bigger levels.  Two started for Connecticut.  Take some of those guys and match them with the Wares and Rices etc. 

Some of the biggest "misses" have been Indiana kids, both who we've passed on and who we've recruited. But don't get tunnel vision. You can't just take an Indiana kid to appease people. It's not where their from but the "Indiana" intangibles that matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Some of the biggest "misses" have been Indiana kids, both who we've passed on and who we've recruited. But don't get tunnel vision. You can't just take an Indiana kid to appease people. It's not where their from but the "Indiana" intangibles that matter. 

Purdue is loaded with Indiana players, but Edey has covered a lot of flaws. Caleb Furst was a can’t miss prospect who’s a bust. Malik has been much better than Trey Kaufman Renn. Other than 3 point shooting, Gallo’s stats are better than Loyer’s. Would Braden Smith be the same player with Zed Key or Dain Dainja at center? 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Purdue is loaded with Indiana players, but Edey has covered a lot of flaws. Caleb Furst was a can’t miss prospect who’s a bust. Malik has been much better than Trey Kaufman Renn. Other than 3 point shooting, Gallo’s stats are better than Loyer’s. Would Braden Smith be the same player with Zed Key or Dain Dainja at center? 

Edey has covered tons of flaws. Braden Smith is a great player, but no low post threat allows guards to focus on their man. Can you imagine and Edey-less Purdue team playing against Houston or Auburn? 

That being said, Painter put guys around Edey that could make double teams pay. Credit to him.

Edited by ephul
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 10:35 AM, ledies22 said:

HSN local Purdue guys were saying he's done playing and going to focus on medical studies...? something like that.

Posted that 2 weeks ago 

it makes sense 

He has a ton of talent but like Morton or TG the confidence in his shot is gone