2024 Transfer Portal

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

At this point, it’s almost easier to list the players that haven’t entered the portal

I pretty much assume any player could leave each year. And getting less and less interested in following HS recruiting. Just wait until the portalling is done and see what the roster looks like in August.

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

I pretty much assume any player could leave each year. And getting less and less interested in following HS recruiting. Just wait until the portalling is done and see what the roster looks like in August.

I think the long term successful formula is 8 returning players, 2-3 HS recruits and 2-3 portal players every year.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sorry i don't ever go to the recruiting board.  I thought we would talk about it in the transfer portal thread.  Oh well

That's a 48-page thread that's less than a month old.  You're missing a lot of action by skipping the recruiting page.  It's added SEVERAL pages just today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think the long term successful formula is 8 returning players, 2-3 HS recruits and 2-3 portal players every year.

I doubt many programs are going to be able to retain 8 each season. Even those programs that don't emphasize adding via the portal are going to have to try and retain their bench guys.

This NIL and portal stuff is really becoming a concern. I don't think NCAA Championships will be a part of the equation any longer. We have seen how ISU has been devastated by the transfers. Have we ever witnessed anything like that? All those donors who threw into the NIL have nothing, now. History of programs will become an afterthought. It becomes programs with the highest bidder. Loyalty has been shot through the heart. The 1-year commitments will become common place. $$ has become the focal point. Once the public can't relate to the players, interest will wane. $$ will rule. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, ForHumanity said:

This NIL and portal stuff is really becoming a concern. I don't think NCAA Championships will be a part of the equation any longer. We have seen how ISU has been devastated by the transfers. Have we ever witnessed anything like that? All those donors who threw into the NIL have nothing, now. History of programs will become an afterthought. It becomes programs with the highest bidder. Loyalty has been shot through the heart. The 1-year commitments will become common place. $$ has become the focal point. Once the public can't relate to the players, interest will wane. $$ will rule. 

Unfortunately, teams will live and die by NIL and the portal. There will be a few exceptions here and there, but not many.

1 hour ago, ForHumanity said:

It’s been that way for decades, going all the way back to John Wooden. It’s just legal to talk about today. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ForHumanity said:

ISU was devastated by transfers because the coach who brought those players to Terre Haute left Terre Haute. A majority of them are following him. Has next to nothing to do with NIL.

Edited by IndyResident16

5 hours ago, ForHumanity said:

ISU LIKE UK had a coach leave. had nothing to do with NIL.

• Like 1