2024 Transfer Portal

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Confuses me. To each their own. 

I understand, but I think if the day in day out game plan is to have MM, Goode and a backup player yet to be named covering 26min in the front court. IU will be in serious trouble and that doesn’t even include the risk of injury. But what do I know?

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I understand, but I think if the day in day out game plan is to have MM, Goode and a backup player yet to be named covering 26min in the front court. IU will be in serious trouble and that doesn’t even include the risk of injury. But what do I know?

I thought we have to stop playing 2 posts? That has been the accepted narrative across all of these talks in the offseason....

Other than maybe 5-6 mins a game, for a backup 5, the lineup/mins distribution is already set. IMO

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I thought we have to stop playing 2 posts? That has been the accepted narrative across all of these talks in the offseason....

Other than maybe 5-6 mins a game, for a backup 5, the lineup/mins distribution is already set. IMO

Yeah I get that and agree for the most part. I just don’t see Malik playing extended minutes as the only real front court player. Scares the death out of me!

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I don’t see Goode as a 4 at all. MM can play some 4 but serious doubts how that helps the team. 🤷‍♂️

Goode and/or MM playing the 4 allows for IU to play the 4 out 1 in. I think we will get a lot of that this year, and i think it will be our best line up.

1 Rice

2 Carlyle

3 TG/MM/Goode

4 MM/Goode

5 Ballo slightly over MR purely based on defense... especially if MM and Goode are at the 3 and 4.

I think the 4 is pretty much solidified. We need a 5-10 guy at the 5. 

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Just me I guess? I’d like to have a plan B just in case! Kind of like last year when there was no plan B for when X didn’t show up!

I mean... we are adding at least one more big guy. We aren't going to have two schollies open. 

Edited by btownqb

4 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Elite recruits more likely to transfer if they don’t go Pro!

I know it’s a reach, but wonder if one of the NBA combine dropout players would consider IU? With Ballo’s 26min/game and Malik’s 28min/game there’s 26 minutes left in the front court!

Here is how I see the front court rotation going this year

Start MM, Reneau, Ballo

Sub in Goode for Ballo, MM Goode, Reneau

Sub in Ballo and Tucker for Reneau and MM, Goode, Ballo, Tucker.

Sub MM in For Goode, Tucker, MM, Ballo

Sub Reneau for Tucker, then you got your starters back in to finish the half 

Not sure I’m buying all the love for Goode? Maybe it comes from that game I watched last season where he had about as bad a half as I’ve ever seen! It wasn’t all on him I mean it was just everything went wrong!🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Not sure I’m buying all the love for Goode? Maybe it comes from that game I watched last season where he had about as bad a half as I’ve ever seen! It wasn’t all on him I mean it was just everything went wrong!🤷‍♂️

He brings exactly what this team needs and that is a knock down shooter. He also plays with a lot of enthusiasm and energy which this team needs.

• Like 1

I have a hard time not seeing Ballo and MR in at the same time.  Until i see something different, this is exactly what i expect.  With the upgrade at 1/2/3 this could work if those first 3 spots provide a scoring danger for all 3 levels.

Just my 2c

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have a hard time not seeing Ballo and MR in at the same time.  Until i see something different, this is exactly what i expect.  With the upgrade at 1/2/3 this could work if those first 3 spots provide a scoring danger for all 3 levels.

Just my 2c

I assume there will be times they won't be on the court together unless both plays 40 minutes 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I assume there will be times they won't be on the court together unless both plays 40 minutes 

Agreed but my guess is 25+ minutes a game these 2 will be on the floor together and if MR can work on his not getting in foul trouble, that could increase to even more.

19 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just my 2c

You nailed it…we’ll be fine with 2 in as long as 1-3 can score. It didn’t work last year, because none of our guards were a scoring threat on a consistent basis. All the opposition had to do was pack it in and double/triple team our bigs. Hopefully, they won’t have that luxury this year.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

They needed a guy like Goode who can stretch the floor. I'm not sure what position he will play. But remember last season when they brought in the back ups?  It would be some combo of Walker, Sparks, Banks or Gunn. Walker would have wide open 3's jack it up and it would be a total brick. Then Gunn would force a few. They had absolutely no shot to get an easy score. This year, with Goode etc. IU might have at least one guy off the bench who can actually hit a shot.  Although walker was actually pretty good but he was like a poor man's Malik.  Ware, Malik, Walker, Sparks and Banks - 85% to 95% scoring in the post.

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

You nailed it…we’ll be fine with 2 in as long as the 1-3 can score. It didn’t work last year, because none of our guards were a scoring threat on a consistent basis. All the opposition had to do was pack it in and double/triple team our bigs. Hopefully, they won’t have that luxury this year.

Spot on...And I also think how Carlyle and Rice play D is big as well...Neither had great defensive metrics last year, but Carlyle is said to have the tools to be a lock down guy...

A big part of our struggles last year was guarding the 3 point line...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Agreed but my guess is 25+ minutes a game these 2 will be on the floor together and if MR can work on his not getting in foul trouble, that could increase to even more.

Didn't MR fix his foul issue in the 2nd half of the season last year?

9 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Didn't MR fix his foul issue in the 2nd half of the season last year?

No, unfortunately it got worse. In his last 14 games, he fouled out six times and had four fouls five times. In the BTT, he fouled out against NEB and had four against PSU

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Goode and/or MM playing the 4 allows for IU to play the 4 out 1 in. I think we will get a lot of that this year, and i think it will be our best line up.

1 Rice

2 Carlyle

3 TG/MM/Goode

4 MM/Goode

5 Ballo slightly over MR purely based on defense... especially if MM and Goode are at the 3 and 4.

I think the 4 is pretty much solidified. We need a 5-10 guy at the 5. 

A 5-10 guy just wont get it done at the 5 ..., maybe 6-10😃

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, cosmicpowers said:

Illini fan here.  My son bought a Goode jersey at SFC this year, doh 🙂

My eye-test assessment of Luke this past year was....he averaged 6 points, and without looking at the game-by-game, my perception is he would hit four 3s in one game and then zero in the next.  His rebounding number went way up, and he got some huge boards, especially on the offensive end this year.  Always hustles.  Gets called for a lot of fouls trying hard.  Oddly shaky from the FT line.  He went through a slump where he couldn't hit shots and would come up with 3 fouls in succession without getting the key board, and that was rough.  But overall, I feel like Illinois is worse without him, and I'm bummed he's playing in the conference/will play against us.

And he's, at best, our 7th/8th guy. 

• Like 2