Nebraska Post Game

2 hours ago, Petertucky2 said:

How do we not find the guys from Japan?

IU has always stunk at finding foreign born players.  Our"best" was Uwe Blab and the rest were Hanner Perea quality.

Heck, our only outstanding foreign guy was fictional - Ivan Renko. 🥸

• Like 1

I hate that we are reduced to wondering if CJG should have played more. He came in to a game where we were already losing by 25+ points. He did not have any pressure on him, as he would have in a close game, and hunted as many shots/points as he could have gotten, more than likely for a mixtape ( whatever they are called ), and many of the shots he took were when the head coach had been, ahem, removed from his duties. Personally, I feel that he hasn’t developed very much, his jump shot mechanics are not good- impressive vertical- but that can cause a shot to be off. He, and especially Banks, seemed lanky, and never in full control of their bodies. Banks, with the exception of Walker, had some of the worst hands I have ever seen. The concept of looking for 5 star players who are turnkey for college and hopefully NBA, indicates a laissez faire coaching style, and if you include Cupps, players have not seemed to develop. In relationship to this thread, and not some of the other threads, why didn’t X guard Tominaga?  Sycophants, er, “true fans”

we talking that match up on Twitter before the game. I saw X on him a little in the second half, but not for the duration.Why was there not anyone on the team who could stop him? There were two other games of film to look at. How many “stars” did Tominaga have? Every team needs a player like Alec (sp). IU doesn’t have any. Although Leal would be pretty close. The point is, Nebraska has done more with less, and completely shamed IU 3 times since January. They did not change their defense against us, and they definitely did not change their offense. We made no adjustments and I fear looking for more turnkey players in the portal, will lead to less or the same amount of development for those who decide to stay.

Going into the season, CJ’s development was going to be paramount in order for IU to have a successful year. I have watched from afar and don’t understand how Woodson hasn’t been able to help this young man. I was told multiple times heading into the new school year that the most improved player during the offseason was CJG. I mean, you can see the raw abilities, but he needs reps, and IU(now/portal era) is no longer in the development game. 

• Like 2

That was such a brutal end for this group of guys.  They never seemed to click with one another and no one helped them take ownership of this season. 

Good teams have players who personally take on the task of competing hard and sacrificing for the team.  Good coaches understand how to help guys tap into that juice.  Good coaches help them feel prepared so that when the game is in their hands as players, they have confidence they can succeed.  This IU team did not have nearly enough of those things... and we all saw the results.  

This team was not as terrible as they looked in some games.  There were some fun moments this year.  Thanks to everyone at IU Men's Basketball for their effort.  The guys on our team are likable young men and I wish them all the best.  It is now time for a shake-up that could and should reset the tone around the team and move the program forward.  Will it?  Time will tell. 

Lastly, for all the "true fans" of Hoosier Sports Nation:   THANK YOU for keeping me informed, thrilled, horrified, and laughing all season.  Keep up the good work! 

• Like 3

My buddy and his wife were at game and texted me this morning he couldn't believe how many empty seats there were for almost all of the sessions....said IU/Nebraska was easily the most attended.

I'd suggest the Big 10 not think about doing Minny again.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

IU has always stunk at finding foreign born players.  Our"best" was Uwe Blab and the rest were Hanner Perea quality.

That isn’t really true.  Magnus Pelkowski was a stud.  Harris Muvcdgvcgvfdvich?

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, rico said:

That isn’t really true.  Magnus Pelkowski was a stud.  Harris Muvcdgvcgvfdvich?

I completely forgot about those two (but that bolsters my point, lol).

I wonder how NIL & "professional status" pertains to younger Euro players.  IMO if you're getting paid, you're getting paid.

2 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Going into the season, CJ’s development was going to be paramount in order for IU to have a successful year. I have watched from afar and don’t understand how Woodson hasn’t been able to help this young man. I was told multiple times heading into the new school year that the most improved player during the offseason was CJG. I mean, you can see the raw abilities, but he needs reps, and IU(now/portal era) is no longer in the development game. 

He will do better somewhere else, book it.  It wasn’t going to happen here and that is damning to player development here.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My buddy and his wife were at game and texted me this morning he couldn't believe how many empty seats there were for almost all of the sessions....said IU/Nebraska was easily the most attended.

I'd suggest the Big 10 not think about doing Minny again.

And I’d suggest a thorough upgrade of refs, which should be possible in light of the big ten TV cash cow.  Otherwise, viewers will prefer watching better basketball in the SEC, Big East, ACC and Big 12.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John S said:

And I’d suggest a thorough upgrade of refs, which should be possible in light of the big ten TV cash cow.  Otherwise, viewers will prefer watching better basketball in the SEC, Big East, ACC and Big 12.  

Don't forget about the Mountain West.

• Like 1

I’m going to paraphrase an old Coach Knight story; “ Most of us learned in elementary school, hell,  maybe even in preschool, that three is greater than two.  Then we moved on to bigger and better things.  Some of you a$$ho!e5 still don’t get it”.   :coffee:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He will do better somewhere else, book it.  It wasn’t going to happen here and that is damning to player development here.  

I agree. Although we haven’t been consistently good in some time… IU is no longer, or I should say can no longer be a place to fully develop. IU, along with any other program that spends big money on players, will look for instant impact, whether it be from top tier high school players or the portal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, John S said:

I would like to see a big resource pool of refs for each P4 conference where they all do multiple conference games.  The BIG needs more exposure to refs outside the BIG and potentially vice versa for other teams so we can get a more consistent experience across the NCAA games.  If not that require them all to be full time refs and pay them appropriately for that full time commitment to your point and get them to align with other conferences somehow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ForHumanity said:

Woodson---> We need to get better.

A quote we heard all year all the way to the last game.

His IQ is below normal. His team reflects that.

I am afraid that he is either senile or so far in denial that he is clueless. In the BTT the teams advancing were scoring 80 plus points. IU cant do that in a game an a half but we can outscore opponents in the paint. Mike its not 1980 get your head out of your rear end and do you job effectively. Every single one of us would be fired from our jobs if our performance mirrored that of Woodys while at IU. We truly are the laughing stock of the college basketball world. Listening to him talk after each game truly reminds me of the last years of my grandpas life while dealing with dementia. Repeat the same thing over and over and living our memoires of 40 years ago. Its sad. Do us all a favor Mike and ride off into the sunset. You will earn more respect from the fan bae doing that than you will with the steamy pile of crap year we will have next season. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am afraid that he is either senile or so far in denial that he is clueless. In the BTT the teams advancing were scoring 80 plus points. IU cant do that in a game an a half but we can outscore opponents in the paint. Mike its not 1980 get your head out of your rear end and do you job effectively. Every single one of us would be fired from our jobs if our performance mirrored that of Woodys while at IU. We truly are the laughing stock of the college basketball world. Listening to him talk after each game truly reminds me of the last years of my grandpas life while dealing with dementia. Repeat the same thing over and over and living our memoires of 40 years ago. Its sad. Do us all a favor Mike and ride off into the sunset. You will earn more respect from the fan bae doing that than you will with the steamy pile of crap year we will have next season. 

image.png.8ec0b6b95a9f46f3198feb63e9f3650e.png

On 3/16/2024 at 11:37 AM, Zuckerkorn said:

How dare you besmirch the name of the iconic Tijan Jobe that way.

:coffee: