March Madness 2024

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

How old was Jim Larranaga last year?

You get to the FF, you have a shot...

He was 72. It was his twelfth year at Miami to get to his first FF. They made his first Elite 8 at Miami in year 11. 

Does anyone believe Mike Woodson will be coaching when he's 75? I don't think he does.

“I don’t know, there are coaches that are coaching into their 70s. I don’t know if that’s something I’ll do, I don’t know. But at this point, I’ll take it a day at a time, a year at a time. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon guys. I’m just not. So I’m going to continue to build this team and try to put this team in the best position possible and see where it leads us.”

Marshall coach Dan D’Antoni currently carries the distinction of the oldest Division I men’s college basketball coach in the country at 76 following the recent retirement of Coastal Carolina coach Cliff Ellis, who is 78.

There are only four other active D-I coaches over the age of 70:  Florida State’s Leonard Hamilton, La Salle’s Fran Dunphy, Miami’s Jim Larrañaga and Rick Pitino of St. John’s.

There are 362 D1 coaches. Only 20 are over 65. 

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He was 72. It was his twelfth year at Miami to get to his first FF. They made his first Elite 8 at Miami in year 11. 

Does anyone believe Mike Woodson will be coaching when he's 75? I don't think he does.

“I don’t know, there are coaches that are coaching into their 70s. I don’t know if that’s something I’ll do, I don’t know. But at this point, I’ll take it a day at a time, a year at a time. I’m not going anywhere anytime soon guys. I’m just not. So I’m going to continue to build this team and try to put this team in the best position possible and see where it leads us.”

Marshall coach Dan D’Antoni currently carries the distinction of the oldest Division I men’s college basketball coach in the country at 76 following the recent retirement of Coastal Carolina coach Cliff Ellis, who is 78.

There are only four other active D-I coaches over the age of 70:  Florida State’s Leonard Hamilton, La Salle’s Fran Dunphy, Miami’s Jim Larrañaga and Rick Pitino of St. John’s.

There are 362 D1 coaches. Only 20 are over 65. 

Really doesn't matter...Mike Woodson will be our coach next year, despite all of the gnashing of teeth and fairy tales after the Nebraska loss...

I would hope y'all would get behind our team, but some of you, short of a coaching change, seem to be unwilling to do so...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Really doesn't matter...Mike Woodson will be our coach next year, despite all of the gnashing of teeth and fairy tales after the Nebraska loss...

I would hope y'all would get behind our team, but some of you, short of a coaching change, who seem to be unwilling to do so...

I don't know who you're talking to. I have maintained all along that CMW would be coach next year. I didn't agree with the hire, but I always want them to win. I always support the team, but that doesn't mean I may not be critical of how they play. My saying that it would be unprecedented (not impossible, just unprecedented) for a 66 year old coach, with 3 years of college experience, to win a national title is a statement of fact based on actual precedence. It has nothing to do with who that coach happens to be.  It's funny. People think of Bill Guthridge as being old, but when he took Smith's team to the FF in 1998, he was only 60. He retired when he was 62. Of course, he'd been the assistant there for 30 years. 

For Painter to take 19 years to make a final four and Gene Keady to never make one shows how difficult it is. IU fans were spoiled by CBK. Some also get spoiled by the one year wonders that get hot at the right time. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't know who you're talking to. I have maintained all along that CMW would be coach next year. I didn't agree with the hire, but I always want them to win. I always support the team, but that doesn't mean I may not be critical of how they play. My saying that it would be unprecedented (not impossible, just unprecedented) for a 66 year old coach, with 3 years of college experience, to win a national title is a statement of fact based on actual precedence. It has nothing to do with who that coach happens to be.  It's funny. People think of Bill Guthridge as being old, but when he took Smith's team to the FF in 1998, he was only 60. He retired when he was 62. Of course, he'd been the assistant there for 30 years. 

For Painter to take 19 years to make a final four and Gene Keady to never make one shows how difficult it is. IU fans were spoiled by CBK. Some also get spoiled by the one year wonders that get hot at the right time. 

Yes, I'm sure all of that factors into the BS comparisons of Mike Woodson to Patrick Ewing...

75-109 and 19-35 are a far cry from 103-63 and 31-29...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If they win it all this year (gag), he'll be in good company. Pitino 14 years,  Self 15, Coach K 16, Roy Williams 17, Wooden 18, Cal 20, Dean Smith 21, Tark 22, Jay Wright 22, Calhoun 27. 

Forgot Boeheim at 27 also. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, I'm sure all of that factors into the BS comparisons of Mike Woodson to Patrick Ewing...

75-109 and 19-35 are a far cry from 103-63 and 31-29...

You are taking that completely out of context of what I said. This is my post:

There are parallels to Ewing at Georgetown. Although Woodson has been better through years 1-3, most people don't realize that the bottom didn't fall out until years 5 and 6. They were 15-17 in year three, which IU came precariously close to matching (were 14-13 and were underdogs in all four remaining games). Year 4, Georgetown was 13-13, but went on a run to win the Big East tournament. People were thinking they turned a corner. Ewing was 3 games over .500. Then they went 13-50 over the final two years of his six years there.

The rest of that post was an article that addressed how Ewing left a good job as an NBA assistant to try to resurrect his alma mater. It mentioned that he didn't like recruiting, how their style of play didn't fit the modern game of basketball and how Ewing's answer was they just needed to work harder. My point was there were some parallels and that IU was at a crossroads entering year 4 of CMW. 

I don't know what 103-63 is. CMW is 63-40. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Lol that’s not accurate at all. We were freaking out that he’d leave. 

I wasn’t in the room but I know people who were….I knew a couple guys on the team.  People were getting angry with AD & Nancy Cross was putting out fires

Saw a couple interesting emails 

Seemed like Purdue was going to hold firm and be cheep as usual 

Then it hit the fan 

MP wanted a bigger budget for assistants & recruiting…..after we lost an assistant to Clemson 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

There are parallels to Ewing at Georgetown.

The only thing "parallel" here would be a universe...

You're comparing Ewing's 2 really crappy years and 1 mediocre year to a guy who made the tournament his first year (after a 6 year absence) grabbed a 2nd place finish in the Big 10 and a 4 seed his second year, finished 6th with the least experienced team in the Big 10 (and even though that gets dismissed, I also cited how much experience means in the tournament), only to say it somehow portends to be even worse for IU basketball in the near future? Really?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The only thing "parallel" here would be a universe...

You're comparing Ewing's 2 really crappy years and 1 mediocre year to a guy who made the tournament his first year (after a 6 year absence) grabbed a 2nd place finish in the Big 10 and a 4 seed his second year, finished 6th with the least experienced team in the Big 10 (and even though that gets dismissed, I also cited how much experience means in the tournament), only to say it somehow portends to be even worse for IU basketball in the near future? Really?

Whatever. I said IU was at a crossroads. At the time of the post, IU had no 2024 recruits and McNeely had opted out of his commitment. They didn't appear to be leading on any of their targeted 2025 recruits. 

There are some obvious parallels to the situations with Ewing and Woodson, but I clearly said that Woodson has been better through the first 3 years. Never said he would end the same, but there are some warning signs that things could get worse from here. 

But unfortunately, you have become one of the few posters who brings no pleasure to visiting this board. You don't allow posters to have a reasoned opinion without taking it personally. You don't have to agree, but everyone here is entitled to their opinion as long as they stay within the rules. You paint with a broad brush and group anyone together who doesn't 100% agree with you. 

Unfortunately, you will become only the third member I've ever had to place on ignore. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'll always root for IU, but you can certainly color me frustrated about the inflexibility of Woodson's coaching. When something isn't working, you change it. Woodson appears to refuse to do so.

If it hadn't been for injuries, the starting line up would not have changed for 2 years running. Even though some bench guys outplayed the starters. And that's only one example. There are tons more.

So when next season starts, I'll be there watching, but my confidence level will be "tempered" until we start playing IU ball the way it's supposed to be played.

Rant over.

Go Hoosiers.

• Like 3

No bench players out played starters for the last ½ of the 23-24 season, but I always thought Gallo deserved to start during the time he came off the bench. Mainly last year and the year before. 

Bates had his flashes of brilliance, but got relegated to the bench the next game.

Those 2 examples are the ones that come to my old, inactive mind, at this time. My point was that Woodson's stubbornness hurts the team, as evidenced by our record, and early exit from the tournaments (B1G & NCAA)

Leal should have started over Cupps. Better defender, better shooter (inconsistent because of sporadic playing time IMO), and higher BBall IQ at this time. Cupps will no doubt improve, but I think Leal should have started over Cupps.

Edited by DWB
Thought of another example

56 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Whatever. I said IU was at a crossroads. At the time of the post, IU had no 2024 recruits and McNeely had opted out of his commitment. They didn't appear to be leading on any of their targeted 2025 recruits. 

There are some obvious parallels to the situations with Ewing and Woodson, but I clearly said that Woodson has been better through the first 3 years. Never said he would end the same, but there are some warning signs that things could get worse from here. 

But unfortunately, you have become one of the few posters who brings no pleasure to visiting this board. You don't allow posters to have a reasoned opinion without taking it personally. You don't have to agree, but everyone here is entitled to their opinion as long as they stay within the rules. You paint with a broad brush and group anyone together who doesn't 100% agree with you. 

Unfortunately, you will become only the third member I've ever had to place on ignore. 

When a "reasoned opinion" flies in the face of facts, it ceases to be "reasoned" or an "opinion" at all... It's an agenda...

I presented fact to refute an illegitimate comparison... Simple as that...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

Gas station version of Shaq has no chance. 

Purdue did it the right way, I give them credit. A bunch of Indiana Boys and a 7 foot center nobody wanted. 

Painter is a heck of a scout and coach.

Interesting, I’ve never heard anyone call Edey the gas station version of Shaq. Has a good ring to it though

7 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

This sure sounds like what Indiana basketball used to be.

Pretty sad that when you listen to the two of them talk about their program. Painter knows how to build and program while Woodson has to have donors buy players. It truly shows the level of incompetence that surrounds our program. Hopefully after another crappy year he is sent to the woodshed and we finally get someone who knows what they are doing.