March Madness 2024

22 hours ago, Indykev said:

Steve Alford 5 different schools to the NCAA tournament yet we crap on him every chance we get. myself included.  We end up with Archie Miller and Mike woodson.

He blew an 18 point lead in 7 minutes. 

47 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

Dusty May more like Dusty Won't, amirite? :coffee:

Dude laid an egg today. NW did everything possible to gift them a win and his team was far too unorganized and unprepared to seize the opportunity. Outside of Goldin they were absolutely terrible 

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Let this officially put an end to the May talk unless/until he has success with a bigger program. He's an Archie level hire.

I’m not someone who thinks May should be our top choice. But making a knee jerk reaction because of an OT loss is a terrible way to judge a coach. Whatever your opinion of him was before this game shouldn’t have changed.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

He blew an 18 point lead in 7 minutes. 

Second NCAAT first round collapse in his coaching career. In 2006, his 3 seed IA Hawkeyes led 14 seed Northwestern St 54-37 with 8-1/2 minutes to go. Outscored 27-9 the rest of the way to lose 64-63. 

He's not a bad coach. 65% winning percentage and approaching 700 career wins. Been to four Sweet 16s in 13 NCAAT appearances (3 at UCLA), but I think that's probably his ceiling. He can assemble some talent and his teams can play some offense, but he's never been a good defensive coach. 

I'd put him in the Fran McCaffrey category. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

he’s still basically the same. Him an neuman are 2 of 14 combined. 

My comment was based from an interview posted a few days ago. He was saying that this years "success" was that he NOW has a staff that understands him............ I assumed 'bout everyone say it. obviously not.. lol

7 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I’m not someone who thinks May should be our top choice. But making a knee jerk reaction because of an OT loss is a terrible way to judge a coach. Whatever your opinion of him was before this game shouldn’t have changed.

It didn't for me. I haven't been impressed with the way FAU has played all year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My comment was based from an interview posted a few days ago. He was saying that this years "success" was that he NOW has a staff that understands him............ I assumed 'bout everyone say it. obviously not.. lol

He was so overrated

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He was so overrated

Sadly, a candle in the wind. It happens.

He will always have Bruce and "Glory days" though. I hate it for kids, but suck  such** is life. 

**edit... Freud may have used my fingers there for a minute.

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

May is doing more with less compared to the resources and level of talent available to B1G schools all while we sit on the outside looking in.

i said this earlier, would like to see what he can do with resources, just not sure i want to see it close up.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Indykev said:

Steve Alford 5 different schools to the NCAA tournament yet we crap on him every chance we get. myself included.  We end up with Archie Miller and Mike woodson.

3 out of those 5 teams never made it past the first weekend, and none of those teams made it past the S16. If we wanted those results, we could have just stuck with Crean. 

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

May is doing more with less compared to the resources and level of talent available to B1G schools all while we sit on the outside looking in.

Are you including Northwestern in the 'more with less' comparison?  I'll argue that point.  Northwestern is restricted by academics far more than FAU is short on 'resources'.

100%.  FAU would NOT have been in the tournament this season if not for last year's run.  The committee would have found another Virginia to sneak in.

Didn't Archie have an Elite 8 run at Dayton, which resulted in everyone slobbering all over him?

Porter Moser had a magical run with Loyola.  Parlayed it into the Oklahoma job.  Not in the tournament this year.

If IU would take May over Pearl, that's just stupid.  And Pearl wouldn't turn IU down unless Auburn makes a huge run this season or next.  

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

3 out of those 5 teams never made it past the first weekend, and none of those teams made it past the S16. If we wanted those results, we could have just stuck with Crean. 

And, Crean is a helluva nicer human being than Alford.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On the other side of the FAU/Northwestern coin, I really was impressed with how NW came out fighting and were super physical.  Collins has done a really good job.  

They are an easy team to root for.  UConn will be tough. 

**I would take Indiana State's head coach over May.  I'd be happy with either though.  

Edited by Common Sense

4 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

On the other side of the FAU/Northwestern coin, I really was impressed with how NW came out fighting and were super physical.  Collins has done a really good job.  

They are an easy team to root for.  UConn will be tough. 

**I would take Indiana State's head coach over May.  I'd be happy with either though.  

Give me Hoiberg or Collins any day. Both should be able to recruit better at IU and both can coach. I’ll take both over a mid major coach any day. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Give me Hoiberg or Collins any day. Both should be able to recruit better at IU and both can coach. I’ll take both over a mid major coach any day. 

Funny, all of those years that those 2 were loseing... IU fans were laughing at them... BEGGING for their schools to keep them forever... and they did........

Oh what a spider web weaver IU fan base is.

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier