Malik Reneau is returning to IU

22 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Go get Omoruyi, a couple of really good guards, and if McBacko returns we’re in really good shape. 💪

This would lead to the exact same system we had this year.  Maybe it works.  Maybe we have the same results.  More guards and wings, less bigs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Even though Ware had a slightly higher average, Malik was probably our best option when we really needed bucket, so why throw it out to a guard who was likely going to miss. If we get a couple of elite guards who are knock down shooters, then I think he’ll be a willing passer when he’s double teamed. And if they’re really good, he won’t be doubled team as often. 

I dont' know if i agree with they if we had shooters.  I feel like he gets singularly focused at times and he is going to shoot no matter what.  He has to have better vision.  If he is doubled, he has to kick it out. It doesn't matter if you don't trust them.  You can't keep driving into a dbl/triple every time.  Its basically the recipe everyone used to put 15+ whoop asses on us.  Better ball movement leads to better open shots, spreads the floor and gets him 1:1 where he will feast.

• Like 4

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

This would lead to the exact same system we had this year.  Maybe it works.  Maybe we have the same results.  More guards and wings, less bigs.

Not if we land a couple of elite shooting guards. Omoruyi’s job would be rim protecting and rebounding. Any scoring would be a bonus.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

No different than any other program on that front.

disagree.  Good programs aren't exicting when their NBA bound player is coming back.  We celebrate bench level players.  because that is how badly we're constructed at the time.  We can be better.  We should be better.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I dont' know if i agree with they if we had shooters.  I feel like he gets singularly focused at times and he is going to shoot no matter what.  He has to have better vision.  If he is doubled, he has to kick it out. It doesn't matter if you don't trust them.  You can't keep driving into a dbl/triple every time.  Its basically the recipe everyone used to put 15+ whoop asses on us.  Better ball movement leads to better open shots, spreads the floor and gets him 1:1 where he will feast.

You can’t double team him, if we have legit scoring treats from the outside.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Not if we land a couple of elite shooting guards. Omoruyi’s job would be rim protecting and rebounding. Any scoring would be a bonus.

SAME OFFENSE.  Doesn't work in the NBA, isn't going to work in the NCAA.  Stand round offensive sharp shooters might help some but its not a modern offense.  It just doesn't lend itself to big time winning.  Can we win some games sure.  But we're going to get ran out of gyms by good team with modern offensive schemes.  We have seen it for 3 years.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

disagree.  Good programs aren't exicting when their NBA bound player is coming back.  We celebrate bench level players.  because that is how badly we're constructed at the time.  We can be better.  We should be better.

This is the Malik Reneau thread.  Nobody’s celebrating a bench player coming back.  Any program would celebrate him coming back, and many would have tried to get him if he had gone into the portal.

• Like 4

I think it’s awesome he is back.  It will help bring in some high level perimeter players knowing there is a serious inside scoring threat.  Just my opinion, but Malik could have gone literally anywhere.  Woodson just needs to get a high level supporting cast, and figure out how to use them. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I am happy he is coming back!! He has some weakness but to ME HE AS IS ABOUT WHERE TDJ WAS AT THIS STAGE OF CAREER!! CAN HE DO WHAT TRAYCE DID? BUT A GREAT FOR IU!!

I just don’t think he’s nearly as explosive. Trayce dunked in two games as many times as Reneau has in two years. He’s unfortunately just never going to be athletic and why he can never play the 5 and be a shot blocker. His motor also has to change but I really am glad he’s back because he does some really good things 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I think it’s awesome he is back.  It will help bring in some high level perimeter players knowing there is a serious inside scoring threat.  Just my opinion, but Malik could have gone literally anywhere.  Woodson just needs to get a high level supporting cast, and figure out how to use them. 

He would have made less NIL almost anywhere else.  Why would he leave?  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

SAME OFFENSE.  Doesn't work in the NBA, isn't going to work in the NCAA.  Stand round offensive sharp shooters might help some but its not a modern offense.  It just doesn't lend itself to big time winning.  Can we win some games sure.  But we're going to get ran out of gyms by good team with modern offensive schemes.  We have seen it for 3 years.

What’s stopping us from running a modern offense, if we have the right personnel? You’re assuming CMW won’t adapt, if our roster has the necessary pieces.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I am happy he is coming back!! He has some weakness but to ME HE AS IS ABOUT WHERE TDJ WAS AT THIS STAGE OF CAREER!! CAN HE DO WHAT TRAYCE DID? BUT A GREAT FOR IU!!

Really good point and I think some of his glaring weaknesses can be improved upon. Just passing the ball out of triple teams will be a good start and I think Malik can become a serviceable to very good three point shooter. Malik’s rebounding will improve dramatically with an improved motor and I think that will happen with more experience. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

What’s stopping us from running a modern offense, if we have the right personnel? You’re assuming CMW won’t adapt, if our roster has the necessary pieces.

CMW would adjust his defense when his team wasn’t figuring it out. He doesn’t adjust things to fit his personnel. He’s an NBA guy where it’s man to man switch defense and ISO offense. Here is two problems with his stubborn thought process. 1. A lot more NBA players stay more than 1-3 years so it’s easier for them to learn defense he runs, the players are typically much higher level of players than what he will realistically try to teach at college level, he will always have lots of new players with how he’s doing things who can’t learn his defense quick enough. 2. With his inside out offense the guards in the nba can make shots at a lot higher of a clip than what we have. He has to stop coaching like an NBA coach if this is going to work 

People need to stop with the rim protector stuff. Put him in the post. Lots of these mid majors are running this style with an undersized post guy. On offense run 4/5 out and let it fly. Malik can shoot it. So recruit 6-3 to 6-7 guys. Get 25 3’s up a game and everyone crash the boards. I’d rather see that. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Common Sense said:

He would have made less NIL almost anywhere else.  Why would he leave?  

Well, you must know a lot more than I do about what he gets at IU and what every other university in the country could have offered. Whatever the reason, I am glad he will be a Hoosier. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

CMW would adjust his defense when his team wasn’t figuring it out. He doesn’t adjust things to fit his personnel. He’s an NBA guy where it’s man to man switch defense and ISO offense.

To be fair, he did switch to a zone defense in some cases late in the year. Hopefully part of a sign of understanding the need to make changes on the fly.

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I just don’t think he’s nearly as explosive. Trayce dunked in two games as many times as Reneau has in two years. He’s unfortunately just never going to be athletic and why he can never play the 5 and be a shot blocker. His motor also has to change but I really am glad he’s back because he does some really good things 

TDJ CAME FROM IND. MALIK JUST GOT HERE A COUPLE YRS. AGO!! AND BB IS ONLY A GAME IN 49 OTHER STATES!!🏀🤣

• Haha 1