Malik Reneau is returning to IU

2 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Even though Ware had a slightly higher average, Malik was probably our best option when we really needed a bucket, so why throw it out to a guard who was likely going to miss. If we get a couple of elite guards who are knock down shooters, then I think he’ll be a willing passer when he’s double teamed. And if they’re really good, he won’t be doubled team as often. 

Because if you threw it out enough to the guards and they actually were a threat, then opposing teams would be less likely to double team in the first place.

You will never have a good offense overall playing 2 or 3 on 5

Edited by iuswingman

Awesome news glad he’s coming back! We need some shooters to help him out.

im not a coach and have never coached basketball, but I don’t see a big difference in our offense then most of the other teams I’m watching. 
The only difference I see is we can’t shoot! We don’t take three because we don’t make them ! We throw too many bricks up. I wonder how many more games we would have won if we just shot 70% from the foul line! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NWOHoosier said:

Really good point and I think some of his glaring weaknesses can be improved upon. Just passing the ball out of triple teams will be a good start and I think Malik can become a serviceable to very good three point shooter. Malik’s rebounding will improve dramatically with an improved motor and I think that will happen with more experience. 

MR doesn’t have the motor or the athleticism that TJD did. Comparing MR to him is a slap in the face of TJD. TJD was always a rim protector, got after it on D, and rebounded his butt off. MR does none of those things. No offense, but not even close. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kyhoosier29 said:

MR doesn’t have the motor or the athleticism that TJD did. Comparing MR to him is a slap in the face of TJD. TJD was always a rim protector, got after it on D, and rebounded his butt off. MR does none of those things. No offense, but not even close. 

Wasn’t in any way, shape or form comparing Malik to TJD. Very few players have ever exceeded TJD’s athleticism and defensive effort. My point was that some of Malik’ deficiencies- poor/selfish offensive decision making and below average rebounding can, hopefully, be significantly improved. If they are improved, the team’s ceiling goes up. Nothing really to do with Trayce. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I agree completely.  I would also like to see him pout and whine less.  Reminds me of what turns me off from Caitlin Clark.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NWOHoosier said:

Wasn’t in any way, shape or form comparing Malik to TJD. Very few players have ever exceeded TJD’s athleticism and defensive effort. My point was that some of Malik’ deficiencies- poor/selfish offensive decision making and below average rebounding can, hopefully, be significantly improved. If they are improved, the team’s ceiling goes up. Nothing really to do with Trayce. 

Apologies. I meant to quote @loviubb not your post. Sorry about that. 

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Glad he's coming back. At least, we can compete a little next year. I also wonder what kind of NIL deal the kid has got. 

Someone said 850K.. absolutely no clue if thats right, but it seems... right (ish)... 

At that number, you'd have to think MM is making 500K, at least, right? 

Young man.. stay in school.. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Someone said 850K.. absolutely no clue if thats right, but it seems... right (ish)... 

The dollar figures being talked about are just insane. Not saying they are inaccurate, but just crazy numbers.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Let’s say those numbers are accurate, which I’m sure is likely. That 1/6 of our supposed NIL budget on two returning players. That’s not counting the other returnees. 

My point is, people (not you btown) throw that $6 million number around like that is what we have to use in the portal and we can buy whoever we want. That’s just the case. 

40 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Let’s say those numbers are accurate, which I’m sure is likely. That 1/6 of our supposed NIL budget on two returning players. That’s not counting the other returnees. 

My point is, people (not you btown) throw that $6 million number around like that is what we have to use in the portal and we can buy whoever we want. That’s just the case. 

Did you mean thats not the case? 

I'm slow today. 

Can you elaborate more? 

I feel like only using 1/6 on those two is quite honestly a steal. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Did you mean thats not the case? 

I'm slow today. 

Can you elaborate more? 

I feel like only using 1/6 on those two is quite honestly a steal. 🤷‍♂️

My point is that I feel like some think we have $6 million to go blow in the portal so we can buy anyone we want. We have $6 million total for the whole team so we don’t have as much for portal guys as some seem to think. We aren’t just going to be able to outbid all comers in the portal. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Tom White said:

The dollar figures being talked about are just insane. Not saying they are inaccurate, but just crazy numbers.

the base this year was 100k, meaning every player got 100k plus? for that shit effort. i hope some gave some back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

the base this year was 100k, meaning every player got 100k plus? for that shit effort. i hope some gave some back.

In my mind, it is just that it all supposedly started out as compensation for name, image and likeness. What it has turned into is being forced to overpay for any kid that has a pulse.

I can get fully behind a kid finally being able to get paid for doing a commercial for a local business, being able to get paid for doing their own basketball camp, or doing public appearances at functions on behalf of the university, but what we have now goes way beyond that. I think it is really out of control.

Edited by Tom White
spelling
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Tom White said:

In my mind, it is just that it all supposedly started out as compensation for name, image and likeness. What it has turned into is being forced to overpay for any kid that has a pulse.

I can get fully behind a kid finally being able to get paid for doing a commercial for a local business, being able to get paid for doing their own basketball camp, or doing public appearances at functions on behalf of the university, but what we have now goes way beyond that. I think it is really out of control.

Yup, all they did was move the under the table cash transactions to out in the open and tax on it.