Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I never thought we'd get Garland but Romeo has always been the recruit that mattered.   He's the recruit Archie must land.  Darius would be gravy. 

Definitely agree here. Here’s a question just for discussion purposes...I know Romeo is ranked higher and is obviously a huge asset...would his commitment be bigger or equal to Cody Zeller? I know different states of the program, but if arch gets him...wow. Could/will open the flood gates? I’m sure hoping so!

52 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Definitely agree here. Here’s a question just for discussion purposes...I know Romeo is ranked higher and is obviously a huge asset...would his commitment be bigger or equal to Cody Zeller? I know different states of the program, but if arch gets him...wow. Could/will open the flood gates? I’m sure hoping so!

Not as huge as Cody.  If Crean doesn't land Cody he wouldn't have lasted much longer.  Archie just got started. 

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not as huge as Cody.  If Crean doesn't land Cody he wouldn't have lasted much longer.  Archie just got started. 

Agree.  Getting Romeo would be huge.  However, considering the state that IUBB was in at the time... getting Cody was larger.  Too bad that Crean was not able gain in state recruits from that.  I like what Archie is doing, in terms of working the state of Indiana "from the inside out".  Something that Crean seemed to fail in doing, by getting Cody.  And even if Archie misses on Romeo, knowing he got in on Romeo late.... Archie is already on top of things for classes after 2018.   Plus... it seems that the high school coaches  in Indiana are also on board, at least for now , with Archie, as well.  Here's to hoping ( which I doubt ) that Archie does not wear out his welcome with Indiana prep coaches, that it seems that Crean did.

Lastly... in terms of Crean. Love all he did for IU.  But he seemed to wear himself out to not only the Indiana prep coaches, but to the IU fans as well. I know, as much as I liked Crean as a person.... I was ready as was Mr. Glass for a change.  I wish no ill will toward Tom Crean, unlike Sampson.  Just that I was ready for a change. And am thankful that Mr. Glass had to balls to make the change... despite a still large buy out.

My two cents !

Message to Romeo

In North Carolina, you are not Romeo Langford, rather a 'Class of 2018 recruit'.

https://keepingitheel.com/2017/11/03/unc-basketball-roy-williams-visits-class-2018-recruit/

Zion Williamson, meanwhile, who UNC has no chance to land, is a 'phenom' with a name.

https://keepingitheel.com/2017/11/01/unc-basketball-roy-williams-to-visit-zion-williamson/

By contrast, in Indiana, you are Romeo Langford, a Hoosier Legend.  

Zion Williamson?  He's just another player in the 2018 class in the eyes of Hoosier fans.

45 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Message to Romeo

In North Carolina, you are not Romeo Langford, rather a 'Class of 2018 recruit'.

https://keepingitheel.com/2017/11/03/unc-basketball-roy-williams-visits-class-2018-recruit/

Zion Williamson, meanwhile, who UNC has no chance to land, is a 'phenom' with a name.

https://keepingitheel.com/2017/11/01/unc-basketball-roy-williams-to-visit-zion-williamson/

Zion Williamson?  He's just another player in the 2018 class in the eyes of Hoosier fans.

Aw shucks.  It is just another ho hum day in Tar Heel country.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Message to Romeo

Dad gumit,don't listen to them...I will be in to see you again..I hear the tables are hot down in French Lick

On 11/4/2017 at 10:29 PM, Coach Robby said:

On 11/4/2017 at 11:23 PM, dbmhoosier said:

On 11/4/2017 at 11:40 PM, milehiiu said:

Agree.  Getting Romeo would be huge.  However, considering the state that IUBB was in at the time... getting Cody was larger.  Too bad that Crean was not able gain in state recruits from that.  I like what Archie is doing, in terms of working the state of Indiana "from the inside out".  Something that Crean seemed to fail in doing, by getting Cody.  And even if Archie misses on Romeo, knowing he got in on Romeo late.... Archie is already on top of things for classes after 2018.   Plus... it seems that the high school coaches  in Indiana are also on board, at least for now , with Archie, as well.  Here's to hoping ( which I doubt ) that Archie does not wear out his welcome with Indiana prep coaches, that it seems that Crean did.

Lastly... in terms of Crean. Love all he did for IU.  But he seemed to wear himself out to not only the Indiana prep coaches, but to the IU fans as well. I know, as much as I liked Crean as a person.... I was ready as was Mr. Glass for a change.  I wish no ill will toward Tom Crean, unlike Sampson.  Just that I was ready for a change. And am thankful that Mr. Glass had to balls to make the change... despite a still large buy out.

My two cents !

To be fair, I don't think you can answer this question until after Romeo commits and his IU career is over. People commenting on the magnitude of Cody's commitment have seen how it all played out. It led to "The Movement" which flopped besides Yogi, and 1 B1G title while he was here, and consequently 1 more while Yogi, who may not have come to IU if CZ didn't.

However, it didn't lead to much more than that, so if Romeo were to choose IU and lead the team to a B1G title, Final Four, or NCAA championship, open the flood gates to more high level recruits, etc. I don't know how we can say Zeller was the bigger commit. 

So we will have to go through the next 5 months of rumors about where Romeo is going.  I guess that his 3 will be IU, KI and Vandy.  I really hope Vandy is not on there especially if Garland and Shittu commit there.  I was really hoping that he would just make his decision and sign this week.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So we will have to go through the next 5 months of rumors about where Romeo is going.  I guess that his 3 will be IU, KI and Vandy.  I really hope Vandy is not on there especially if Garland and Shittu commit there.  I was really hoping that he would just make his decision and sign this week.

The Langford's have been pretty solid that Romeo would be a spring signing..... just as the Garland's have been solid that Darius would be an early signer. 

I have to respect each family.... in that they have been true to their words.... and really have not leaked anything. 

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Looks like we will be waiting until at least April 11th...unless Romeo cuts us out of his final three...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/11/09/report-romeo-langford-wont-commit-during-early-signing-period/848874001/

He can commit anytime. I have seen that most think December or January is likely.

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

He can commit anytime. I have seen that most think December or January is likely.

If Garland commits to IU we may get an early commit from Romeo. But if Garland commits elsewhere then Romeo is going to wait and see how the IU season plays out.  I have reason to believe that he wants to come to IU but being in a winning environment is a very important part of the equation.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

If Garland commits to IU we may get an early commit from Romeo. But if Garland commits elsewhere then Romeo is going to wait and see how the IU season plays out.  I have reason to believe that he wants to come to IU but being in a winning environment is a very important part of the equation.

That makes a lot of sense, especially for a likely one-and-done player.

If we don't have news on Garland yet, Romeo's list could be informative. A Romeo short list without Vandy would seem to send a solid message.

3 hours ago, JakkyJax2 said:

Romeo won't be committing early, says he's waiting to see how the head coaches perform this season. 

I believe that he was referring to the fact that when Romeo trims his list this weekend, cutting Vandy could be an indication as to what Garland may, or may not decide next Wednesday.

Archived