Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I guess your interpretation of "elite" and mine are different......

Okay,  take the word elite out of my statement. Still doesn't change anything. These are Division 1 scholarship athletes and the head coach of a historically blue blood- there is that better? They signed up for high pressure situations. What I have seen thus far from CAM is that he is not going to make excuses and I would hope that he doesn't allow the players make them either 

25 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I guess my point being in my original post was it seems RL may make a decision on where he goes based on how the season goes. And I think it does put extra pressure on the team to perform well in order to influence a players decision.

It doesn’t put any pressure on the team, the players aren’t thinking about that. It may put some pressure on the staff though. 

(Cross posting this from another thread)

Want to know why we're 304-208 (59%) over the last 16 years? We can't land big players. IU isn't a draw for top players. I don't see it changing anytime soon either. GL to all you guys who have the nerve to follow this recruiting stuff from here on out. Burned myself for 10 years and did it again by following the Garland thread. I highly doubt we land Romeo and I'm bowing out of following that one. Top kids want to play with top players. I did warn you all when the hype train was going crazy. IU fans live in a bubble of unrealistic expectations. Sorry fellas but it's the truth.  

(Just don't want people to get there hopes up here with this one.) 

2003 - 79th Ewing 

2004 - 15th White, 76th Ratliff, 99th Rothbart

2005 - 93rd Allen

2006 - None

2007 - 2nd Gordon, 78th Holman, 95th McGee, 

2008 - None

2009 - 35th Watford

2010 - None

2011 - 10th Zeller

2012  -21st, Yogi,  36th, Hollowell, 53rd Perea  

2013 - 11th Vonleh,  53rd Williams , 64th Robinson , 95th Fischer

2014 - 19th Blackmon, 49th Johnson

2015 - 20th Bryant

2016 - 40th, Davis, 85th Jones

2017 - 77th Smith 

2018 - 63rd Hunter, 95th Anderson 

Landing Romeo will be heavily be heavily influenced by our play this season.  If Archie cant fix some things with this team then Bryce Drew will win the battle.  Here are the current IU players that would mesh well with Romeo based on what i have seen the first two games. Davis, Smith, Morgan, Durham, and possibly Moore. If that becomes the core that Archie can sell to Romeo we have a good chance.  If I did not list them and they are back next year, then I personally feel they do not possess the type of game that suits Romeo's style.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Landing Romeo will be heavily be heavily influenced by our play this season.  If Archie cant fix some things with this team then Bryce Drew will win the battle.  Here are the current IU players that would mesh well with Romeo based on what i have seen the first two games. Davis, Smith, Morgan, Durham, and possibly Moore. If that becomes the core that Archie can sell to Romeo we have a good chance.  If I did not list them and they are back next year, then I personally feel they do not possess the type of game that suits Romeo's style.

Bryce Drew is a hell of a coach btw. I'm sure if Vandy finishes higher, makes it further, and if they have anything at all decent coming back I'm sure Romeo will link up with Garland and Shittu. Probably a yes to all three. 

Don't worry guys I won't bog down the Recruiting Board with my negativity anymore (although what I say is true). I'll probably catch you guys in the Game Threads. I won't fall into these recruiting traps anymore though. GL on Brooks, Hurt, Davis and Watford. 

I guess I just don't understand the mentality. As IU fans we're supposed to give up on IU ever landing top players, nobody cares about the dusty banners, the facilities, the exposure, etc. but Bryce Drew is a helluva coach and he's going to be locking down UK/Duke type classes at Vanderbilt?!?!

37 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

(Cross posting this from another thread)

Want to know why we're 304-208 (59%) over the last 16 years? We can't land big players. IU isn't a draw for top players. I don't see it changing anytime soon either. GL to all you guys who have the nerve to follow this recruiting stuff from here on out. Burned myself for 10 years and did it again by following the Garland thread. I highly doubt we land Romeo and I'm bowing out of following that one. Top kids want to play with top players. I did warn you all when the hype train was going crazy. IU fans live in a bubble of unrealistic expectations. Sorry fellas but it's the truth.  

(Just don't want people to get there hopes up here with this one.) 

2003 - 79th Ewing 

2004 - 15th White, 76th Ratliff, 99th Rothbart

2005 - 93rd Allen

2006 - None

2007 - 2nd Gordon, 78th Holman, 95th McGee, 

2008 - None

2009 - 35th Watford

2010 - None

2011 - 10th Zeller

2012  -21st, Yogi,  36th, Hollowell, 53rd Perea  

2013 - 11th Vonleh,  53rd Williams , 64th Robinson , 95th Fischer

2014 - 19th Blackmon, 49th Johnson

2015 - 20th Bryant

2016 - 40th, Davis, 85th Jones

2017 - 77th Smith 

2018 - 63rd Hunter, 95th Anderson 

In fairness, this is misleading and ignores that we went through 3 coaching changes and a major recruiting scandal which, due to IU's own self-imposed sanctions, sunk our program for years during this period.

07/08 - Sampson. Landing EJ was big, and that team was really good until the Sampson fallout, and they imploded after going, i think it was, 24-4.

2010 - Crean after Sampsongate. After playing walkons and baseball players. Of course we didn't have an elite recruit. But hey we did land Victor Olidipo, who turned into the #2 drafted player and one of the best players to play at IU.

2011 - Landing Zeller was huge, especially considering the team's record and building from the basement after Sampson's mess. And we beat out UNC, and fwiw he picked his home school in IU.

2012 - A top 5-10 class that other than Yogi didn't pan out. But as to recruiting and talent, it was a top ranked class.

2013 - Another top ranked player and future pro in Vonleh. Not my favorite Hoosier, and he didn't mesh, but that's a 5-star and 3 4-stars. Very good class.

2014 - JBJ and Blackmon, 5-star and a 4-star and two highly touted guards, both of whom were won against other top programs.

2015 - Bryant, another 5-star or top 4-star depending on the service. 

2016 - Davis, a 4-star and a guy turning into a serious player for IU, Jones a 4-star, highly touted guard. Class was good, not great, but not bad either.

2017-18, going through another coaching change, on heels of a bad season. Garland picked his home school. In running for Romeo when we were nowhere in sniffing distance until CAM came aboard. CAM is making good progress on the recruiting trail. No reason to look at these years and decide IU can't land big recruits, not true and misleading at best.

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess I just don't understand the mentality. As IU fans we're supposed to give up on IU ever landing top players, nobody cares about the dusty banners, the facilities, the exposure, etc. but Bryce Drew is a helluva coach and he's going to be locking down UK/Duke type classes at Vanderbilt?!?!

Every successful coach/program starts from somewhere other than the top. If you would have told fans in the 80's and 90's that Florida would win two Championships and advance to the Final 4 on other occasions no one would have believed you.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Every successful coach/program starts from somewhere other than the top. If you would have told fans in the 80's and 90's that Florida would win two Championships and advance to the Final 4 on other occasions no one would have believed you.

So Bryce Drew can get Vanderbilt winning natty's, but we shouldn't expect kids to want to play for IU's dusty banners, huge fan base, amazing facilities, etc.? (to be clear, my point isn't about Garland, I completely get that one)

Bryce Drew may be great, but I'm trying to think of coach in the modern era with as little a track record as he has, at a school like Vanderbilt, landing 3 top 10 players (two out of state) in his second season. I'm just saying if he pulls it off, it might be the first time this has ever happened. 

Also, my post wasn't necesarrily even about Drew/Vandy, just that some of the same people touting Drew are saying IU fans need to pump the brakes and kids don't care anymore. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So Bryce Drew can get Vanderbilt winning natty's, but we shouldn't expect kids to want to play for IU's dusty banners, huge fan base, amazing facilities, etc.? (to be clear, my point isn't about Garland, I completely get that one)

Bryce Drew may be great, but I'm trying to think of coach in the modern era with as little a track record as he has, at a school like Vanderbilt, landing 3 top 10 players (two out of state) in his second season. I'm just saying if he pulls it off, it might be the first time this has ever happened. 

Also, my post wasn't necesarrily even about Drew/Vandy, just that some of the same people touting Drew are saying IU fans need to pump the brakes and kids don't care anymore. 

If winning nattys were the most important thing for Romeo then UNC and UK would be on his list with Kansas.Romeo is not like other 5 star players. He has a different life perspective.  If he is comfortable with the environment at IU and the product on the court he is going there. If he is not then Vandy has a lot of appeal for him. It may not for others but for him it does.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

If winning nattys were the most important thing for Romeo then UNC and UK would be on his list with Kansas.Romeo is not like other 5 star players. He has a different life perspective.  If he is comfortable with the environment at IU and the product on the court he is going there. If he is not then Vandy has a lot of appeal for him. It may not for others but for him it does.

I thought you said Romeo will base his decision about IU is what happens on the floor this year.  Now you say that on court stuff is not all that meaningful to him.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought you said Romeo will base his decision about IU is what happens on the floor this year.  Now you say that on court stuff is not all that meaningful to him.

Not what I am saying at all. I specifically stated in the post you quoted that IU is it if he likes what he sees this year. Not clear on how you are reading that differently.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Not what I am saying at all. I specifically stated in the post you quoted that IU is it if he likes what he sees this year. Not clear on how you are reading that differently.

I get that you said that but in another post you stated that winning championships is not all he cares about and has life perspective.

Archived