Romeo Langford

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Really don’t think that slightly pumping the brakes on the runaway hype train after getting destroyed by a mid-major in the home opener is overreacting, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Come together Hoosier Nation. We will be fine 👍. Last night was ugly, but we have a lot to look forward to in the future. I can't wait till Monday afternoon 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Really don’t think that slightly pumping the brakes on the runaway hype train after getting destroyed by a mid-major in the home opener is overreacting, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Really don't think you and many others are slightly pumping the brakes.  Anyone questioning Archie as a good hire after one game is completely overreacting.  

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Really don't think you and many others are slightly pumping the brakes.  Anyone questioning Archie as a good hire after one game is completely overreacting.  

Where did I say that?  I still think he was a good hire, all I’m saying is that maybe it’s time to stop heaping constant praise on him before he’s accomplished anything and immediately after an embarrassing loss.  You’re making excuses for him that he wouldn’t even be making.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Where did I say that?  I still think he was a good hire, all I’m saying is that maybe it’s time to stop heaping constant praise on him before he’s accomplished anything and immediately after an embarrassing loss.  You’re making excuses for him that he wouldn’t even be making.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not trying to overreact to one game, but I think it might be time to pump the brakes on Archie.  We fell all over ourselves about press conferences and 4 star recruits.  Granted, a lot of this game was obviously on the players being mentally soft.  They are all role players - not a single alpha dog on the team. But at the same time, a 20+ loss to a shitty MVC team in the home opener is... pathetic and absolutely unacceptable.  Like Archie himself said, that is on the coach.  

The “they’re a tough team that shot the lights out” excuses are bogus.  They are not a good team, and all IU fans should realize by now that teams don’t just “shoot the lights out” by accident.  Championship-level programs don’t make those types of excuses.  The staff and players better figure it out quickly, or this could devolve into a dumpster fire with our brutal early schedule.  At this point, we could easily be looking at 5-6 non-conference losses and an 0-4 start in conference play by January.

I sure read this as you saying we've all been wrong about Archie because of one game.  Am I to understand you saying we fell all over ourselves is a good thing, not you saying we were wrong? 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I sure read this as you saying we've all been wrong about Archie because of one game.  Am I to understand you saying we fell all over ourselves is a good thing, not you saying we were wrong? 

Nowhere did I say he was a bad hire.  I’m saying that we might have got ahead of ourselves with visions of banners dancing in our heads after Archie won the offseason.  He was a good hire and is definitely one of the better young up and coming coaches, but he still has a lot to prove.  

Of course, it was just one game.  The season isn’t close to over, although it’s not looking great right now.  But even Archie himself said this terrible loss was on him.  I’m going to wait and see where things stand after this season before I anoint him the savior of the program.  If you think that’s being unreasonable, okay I guess.

I hope that I’m wrong, but I have that “Gary Harris” feeling about this recruitment. That being said, I know that Crean screwed the pooch on Harris and Archie has done a wonderful job making up ground in this case. However, we seemed pretty confident about landing him and missed. Once I see that we’re consistently bringing in five star recruits again, I’ll gain confidence, but it will be warranted.

22 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

So if Garland picks IU, is it safe to assume it is between us and KU for Romeo?

Here is how it will work out for Romeo based on who Garland chooses

Garland chooses IU

• IU has a good season - Romeo chooses IU
  • IU's performance last night is indicative of IU's season - Romeo chooses Kansas

Garland Chooses Vandy

• IU has a good season, showing a lot of potential for next year - Romeo chooses IU
  • IU's performance last night is indicative of IU's season - Romeo chooses Vandy

We're in the running regardless of what Garland does.  It's all predicated on not looking like we did last night for the entire season.

14 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I hope that I’m wrong, but I have that “Gary Harris” feeling about this recruitment. That being said, I know that Crean screwed the pooch on Harris and Archie has done a wonderful job making up ground in this case. However, we seemed pretty confident about landing him and missed. Once I see that we’re consistently bringing in five star recruits again, I’ll gain confidence, but it will be warranted.

When we landed Yogi it made it unlikely we were going to land Harris. Don't want to turn this into a Crean discussion, but he didn't screw the pooch on Harris, a recruiting miscue notwithstanding. 

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Here is how it will work out for Romeo based on who Garland chooses

Garland chooses IU

• IU has a good season - Romeo chooses IU
  • IU's performance last night is indicative of IU's season - Romeo chooses Kansas

Garland Chooses Vandy

• IU has a good season, showing a lot of potential for next year - Romeo chooses IU
  • IU's performance last night is indicative of IU's season - Romeo chooses Vandy

We're in the running regardless of what Garland does.  It's all predicated on not looking like we did last night for the entire season.

I don't think we're getting Garland but if we do I'd say we're a lock to land Romeo.  If he goes to Vandy then yes I agree, it will hinge on our performance this season. 

3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

That's a lot of pressure to put on both the team and CAM.....

I disagree with this. CAM already brought in a solid nucleus for 2018 of players he needs to build the team the way he wants. I also believe that if Langford is a true competitor and wants to be a true Hoosier great he would crave the opportunity to bring a team from the dumpster to greatness. 

22 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It's a true statement, though.  Romeo Langford wants to win.  It's all he's ever done.  He's also a very bright kid and will recognize improvement.  Progress throughout the season is imperative.    

46 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Maybe so, but isn't that what these guys signed up for? I mean, this is supposed to be one of the elite basketball programs. Pressure kind of comes with wearing or coaching the Candy Stripes. 

Archived