Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I would usually love to see a Nebraska upset, but after all the unwarranted hype Nebraska got this summer and fall, I kind of hope OSU pounds them.

Fleck, Frost, and Brohm got all the hype the year they and Allen were hired. 

Fleck, Frost, and Brohm would likely be faring no better in the B1G East right now, even if Purdue did whip a defensively vulnerable OSU team last year. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I don't believe that is true.  There is no faceguarding rule in college.

Correct, there is no pass interference if the defender is making a play on the ball or incidental contact...however if he is face guarding and not looking for the ball he cannot be considered making a play on the ball and just about any contact will be considered pass interference if it happens before the ball gets there. That was what I meant by face guarding.

Would love a list of all the media who picked Nebraska in  the preseason to win the West after a 4-8 record last year. I know a couple of the idiots at the IndyStar chose them. I'm convinced one reporter said something in July and all of a sudden that fire spreads quickly to other reporters choosing them.

Small rant over. Wisconsin/Iowa are light years ahead of Nebraska and will be for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Would love a list of all the media who picked Nebraska in  the preseason to win the West after a 4-8 record last year. I know a couple of the idiots at the IndyStar chose them. I'm convinced one reporter said something in July and all of a sudden that fire spreads quickly to other reporters choosing them.

Small rant over. Wisconsin/Iowa are light years ahead of Nebraska and will be for the foreseeable future.

If you would have told me 30 years ago that the Huskers football program was gonna end up like this I would have laughed.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

If you would have told me 30 years ago that the Huskers football program was gonna end up like this I would have laughed.  

We know the feeling very well. Just goes to show you. Make a few supect hires and 20 years can go by pretty quick. I will say this about them. When #1 in the country,etc....they were a destination school for recruits. Tough times make Nebraska an even tougher sell. I think Frost will get them back to New Year's Day bowls at some point but the days are gone of them thinking anything above that.

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We know the feeling very well. Just goes to show you. Make a few supect hires and 20 years can go by pretty quick. I will say this about them. When #1 in the country,etc....they were a destination school for recruits. Tough times make Nebraska an even tougher sell. I think Frost will get them back to New Year's Day bowls at some point but the days are gone of them thinking anything above that.

I thought Solich and Pelini were good coaches but I haven't looked anything up.  But I wonder if their fall can sort of be traced to when they joined the B1G?

I was just thinking more on Purdue's injuries

I don't feel for their program so much, but I feel for Sindelar and Moore as human beings who are injured, now likely having to miss doing what they love to do. 

That goes for any injured player at any level of any sport.  That's all. ..

1 hour ago, rico said:

I thought Solich and Pelini were good coaches but I haven't looked anything up.  But I wonder if their fall can sort of be traced to when they joined the B1G?

Pelini had 4 seasons winning 9 games and 3 seasons winning 10. Went to a bowl all 7 years. He was in the BT during his four last seasons and finished 3rd once, 1st once and 2nd twice.

He had some personality/behavior issues and Nebraska got bored with 9/10 wins a year thinking they should be performing at the “next level”.  Oops.....Needless to say, their subsequent coaching changes have not worked out.

Saw Michigan State fall out of the post week 5 AP poll . Pretty telling what they think of IU, there. Not entirely fair either.

Indiana was better than advertised, not Michigan State being worse necessarily. Media biased crap. That was a record setting performance with no TOs until last 5 seconds of the game that Sparty overcame to win . Sparty's reasons to drop would only otherwise reflect Az. St which is now a ranked ball team.

Holding that OSU loss against us heavy and probably will until the Buckeyes take apart a higher ranked team the same way. That is because OSU is also arguably getting hosed. IMO. 

Who has been better on both sides than them  thus far? Someone might be statistically but hard to outdo OSU right now - or else go see the optometrist.    Alabama has even had defensive flaws or they would have been #1 already without requiring a Clemson stumble.. Where are Ohio State's flaws on D? They gave up a couple big plays to NE late game yesterday but smothered them- Frost , upgraded young talent, and all until mop up time.. FAU, Cincy, IU, Miami, OH, and now Nebraska.   Domination and haven't given up much since FAU got into the endzone a few times. These are teams that would give a nice fight to most top 20 teams this year.Yet respect for neither OSU, nor the B1G .

47 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Saw Michigan State fall out of the post week 5 AP poll . Pretty telling what they think of IU, there. Not entirely fair either.

Indiana was better than advertised, not Michigan State being worse necessarily. Media biased crap. That was a record setting performance with no TOs until last 5 seconds of the game that Sparty overcame to win . Sparty's reasons to drop would only otherwise reflect Az. St which is now a ranked ball team.

Holding that OSU loss against us heavy and probably will until the Buckeyes take apart a higher ranked team the same way. That is because OSU is also arguably getting hosed. IMO. 

Who has been better on both sides than them  thus far? Someone might be statistically but hard to outdo OSU right now - or else go see the optometrist.    Alabama has even had defensive flaws or they would have been #1 already without requiring a Clemson stumble.. Where are Ohio State's flaws on D? They gave up a couple big plays to NE late game yesterday but smothered them- Frost , upgraded young talent, and all until mop up time.. FAU, Cincy, IU, Miami, OH, and now Nebraska.   Domination and haven't given up much since FAU got into the endzone a few times. These are teams that would give a nice fight to most top 20 teams this year.Yet respect for neither OSU, nor the B1G .

Final score of the MSU game was not indicative of how well IU stood up to the challenge.  On the road. Packed stadium. Homecoming.  Yet. Years from now.  Fans will look just at the final score. And have no idea as to how well IU played the game. Knocking them out of the top rankings. Despite losing. Says a ton about our team.  I was very proud of our guys. 

7 hours ago, rico said:

Too many similarities between us and Nebraska. 5 NCs a piece...trouble following an iconic coach. About the same amount of time has passed since either has been on the NC stage. Both have young and up and coming coaches. Will they be patient enough to see them get a chance to get them back on the big stage??

On 9/28/2019 at 8:05 PM, dgambill said:

You can’t faceguard in college football. If you make contact you have to be looking back at the ball.

i think you CAN face guard in college. irrespective of that, it is a monumentally stupid rule. with all the pass interference that goes uncalled, it's hard to believe you can be called for a penalty, any penalty, once the ball has been put in play, without touching anyone whatsoever

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

before the season started, i questioned more than once why would anyone be saying nebraska will be good this season. they were 4-8 last year and frost hasn't had time to recruit anything but freshmen. just saying

Archived