Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

On 9/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, milehiiu said:

Final score of the MSU game was not indicative of how well IU stood up to the challenge.  On the road. Packed stadium. Homecoming.  Yet. Years from now.  Fans will look just at the final score. And have no idea as to how well IU played the game. Knocking them out of the top rankings. Despite losing. Says a ton about our team.  I was very proud of our guys. 

Agreed, It was absolutely not indicative. And you hit the nail on the head about what I feel  my biggest issue is often. Fans, followers.  and media see the results and since one  team has to lose , unfortunately the further removed from the actual games time becomes,  so much context gets lost with the game itself - especially for the losing team.  Same goes for a season. Indiana is the only team that started out by drawing the league's most talented and then it's most resilient team to open the conference. 

I think with IU Football the larger context casts a disproportionately large shadow on anything good that does happen or is currently- with too many- at least according to the views I run across frequently in the fan base and among Big Ten fanbases .plus media..  Similar note: I am not a Detroit Lions fan, but the same thing happened to them this weekend. They lost when people believed they had the game enough in hand to hold on , and people will point to the Lions being the Lions , but the substance of the performance will be the first thing that is forgotten when most look back at a box score or season in hindsight. Requires results to change that long term . yes, but what is objective about the short selling of a performance that gave an underdog team chance to win  -just because they didn't close it out.

That(line of dismissive thinking)  underscores the importance of a team itself not being satisfied and not becoming complacent with being complimented for giving a  tough fight in a losing effort. Nor discouraged because some voices are quick to overlook the positives.  However for us as fans I don't see one thing wrong or inaccurate with taking fuller consideration of what actually led to a given outcome- and with IU I do it to be sure that context- for their games and seasons-  does not get lost on me personally.

I also don't get the feeling this IU team is not satisfied with moral victories with more ceiling to reach for and a more favorable remaining slate to do it in among other positives to take away from the game and the development of this group.. While I'm not personally either satisfied with nor less frustrated by what was the same end result as in past years, there were a lot of things that went differently that can't be allowed to get lost upon the kids INSIDE the program since it what they have to build upon/from.     Yesterday someone I know offline actually remarked how "another season is already essentially ruined at 3-2" again. Since that chat was brief all I could come up with before the subject passed was to ask how many would be 5-0   or even 4-1 playing IU's schedule. And how that ruined anything they have on the table left to be had. Even at 0-2 in B10 with their work out for them and the division continuing to be it's unforgiving self thus far.   I stated 3-2 would be the case for most not just IU and Indiana played the type of team I feel it needs to emulate if they want to swing that into more desirable outcomes. They have to learn to be the better team on the more pivotal, potential game swinging  plays when it matters most. Michigan State otherwise did not outclass nor make IU look as if they didn't belong on the field.in any way. Far from it!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Agreed, It was absolutely not indicative. And you hit the nail on the head about what I feel  my biggest issue is often. Fans, followers.  and media see the results and since one  team has to lose , unfortunately the further removed from the actual games time becomes,  so much context gets lost with the game itself - especially for the losing team.  Same goes for a season. Indiana is the only team that started out by drawing the league's most talented and then it's most resilient team to open the conference. 

I think with IU Football the larger context casts a disproportionately large shadow on anything good that does happen or is currently- with too many- at least according to the views I run across frequently in the fan base and among Big Ten fanbases .plus media..  Similar note: I am not a Detroit Lions fan, but the same thing happened to them this weekend. They lost when people believed they had the game enough in hand to hold on , and people will point to the Lions being the Lions , but the substance of the performance will be the first thing that is forgotten when most look back at a box score or season in hindsight. Requires results to change that long term . yes, but what is objective about the short selling of a performance that gave an underdog team chance to win  -just because they didn't close it out.

That(line of dismissive thinking)  underscores the importance of a team itself not being satisfied and not becoming complacent with being complimented for giving a  tough fight in a losing effort. Nor discouraged because some voices are quick to overlook the positives.  However for us as fans I don't see one thing wrong or inaccurate with taking fuller consideration of what actually led to a given outcome- and with IU I do it to be sure that context- for their games and seasons-  does not get lost on me personally.

I also don't get the feeling this IU team is not satisfied with moral victories with more ceiling to reach for and a more favorable remaining slate to do it in among other positives to take away from the game and the development of this group.. While I'm not personally either satisfied with nor less frustrated by what was the same end result as in past years, there were a lot of things that went differently that can't be allowed to get lost upon the kids INSIDE the program since it what they have to build upon/from.     Yesterday someone I know offline actually remarked how "another season is already essentially ruined at 3-2" again. Since that chat was brief all I could come up with before the subject passed was to ask how many would be 5-0   or even 4-1 playing IU's schedule. And how that ruined anything they have on the table left to be had. Even at 0-2 in B10 with their work out for them and the division continuing to be it's unforgiving self thus far.   I stated 3-2 would be the case for most not just IU and Indiana played the type of team I feel it needs to emulate if they want to swing that into more desirable outcomes. They have to learn to be the better team on the more pivotal, potential game swinging  plays when it matters most. Michigan State otherwise did not outclass nor make IU look as if they didn't belong on the field.in any way. Far from it!

One of the national talking heads made a comment about the game, saying that "Sparty put up 40 on IU, but who doesn't." The way he referenced this, I could tell he had not watched any of the game but just looked at the final score. 

19 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

One of the national talking heads made a comment about the game, saying that "Sparty put up 40 on IU, but who doesn't." The way he referenced this, I could tell he had not watched any of the game but just looked at the final score. 

Yeah. It doesn't surprise me either.  The "out of touch" nature of some comments I read or hear remind me of some kid having an assignment in school and they BS 2/3 of it .

15 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That poll has to be wrong. Jeff Brohm the "Bill Belichek, next Nick Saban" of college football could not be associated with the 13th best team in the BIG. No way

At this rate, we won’t have a “team” by seasons end lol. Just lost another guy for the season lol. 

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

At this rate, we won’t have a “team” by seasons end lol. Just lost another guy for the season lol. 

Don't like seeing guys hurt but i am sure there are about as many sympathetic Hoosier fans out there as there were Toiletmaker fans that had sympathy for our basketball team last season. Just the lil Archie can't get it done even with a lottery pick junk I was hearing. Ole Jeffie Boy not getting it done curently.

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Don't like seeing guys hurt but i am sure there are about as many sympathetic Hoosier fans out there as there were Toiletmaker fans that had sympathy for our basketball team last season. Just the lil Archie can't get it done even with a lottery pick junk I was hearing. Ole Jeffie Boy not getting it done curently.

You guys def had a lot of injuries last year no doubt. At least now there won’t be rumors of Brohm getting poached this year. Young guys will get valuable playing time and will hopefully make next year that much better. I agree he’s not getting it done but what coach would under similar circumstances?

48 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You guys def had a lot of injuries last year no doubt. At least now there won’t be rumors of Brohm getting poached this year. Young guys will get valuable playing time and will hopefully make next year that much better. I agree he’s not getting it done but what coach would under similar circumstances?

I believe that during basketball season IU fans were told injuries were part of the game and that a good coach could adapt. 

Purdue sucked this year before Sindelar and Moore got hurt. They were down 14-3 to a really average Minnesota team when those guys got hurt. They lost to a terrible Nevada team (111 in SP+), and got waxed by a TCU team that's similar to MSU with Plummer playing.

Brohm should consider himself lucky those guys got hurt. Should keep people happy with him for another year.

14 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Purdue sucked this year before Sindelar and Moore got hurt. They were down 14-3 to a really average Minnesota team when those guys got hurt. They lost to a terrible Nevada team (111 in SP+), and got waxed by a TCU team that's similar to MSU with Plummer playing.

Brohm should consider himself lucky those guys got hurt. Should keep people happy with him for another year.

Fans are still behind him and its obvious with attendance being over 50k each game so far. I’ll agree Nevada loss sucked but that TCU game was the first without Sindelar and Bailey. This year hasn’t gone well but get guys healthy, get them experience, and bring in another ~top 25 recruiting class. Taking over the dumpster fire Hazell left was never going to only take 3 years. 

34 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fans are still behind him and its obvious with attendance being over 50k each game so far. I’ll agree Nevada loss sucked but that TCU game was the first without Sindelar and Bailey. This year hasn’t gone well but get guys healthy, get them experience, and bring in another ~top 25 recruiting class. Taking over the dumpster fire Hazell left was never going to only take 3 years. 

If you guys finish with a  3 or 4 win season do you still think Brohm will be able to pull in a top 25ish class?  

Not trying to be a jerk, it's an honest question. 

1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

If you guys finish with a  3 or 4 win season do you still think Brohm will be able to pull in a top 25ish class?  

Not trying to be a jerk, it's an honest question. 

I do. I think they’d be able to sell the “we clearly need solid players”/early playing time angle. Next Friday there’s a good chance Maliq Carr and Bryce Austin hop on board. Carr would be our highest rated guy this year by a longshot. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That's what I meant about keeping fans happy.

4 wins with a healthy team would lead to some unhappy fans.  4 wins with a team with a lot of injuries, and most people will understand and still be happy about things.  Not saying I think they'll win 4 games, just an example.

Although, just looking at the schedule, PU still has Maryland, Nebraska, Illinois, and IU at home, and Northwestern on the road.  I'm sure a big part of fan enthusiasm will come from those 5 games.  3+ wins in them, probably happy fans.  1 or 2 wins, potentially some unhappy fans, even with the injuries.

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I do. I think they’d be able to sell the “we clearly need solid players”/early playing time angle. Next Friday there’s a good chance Maliq Carr and Bryce Austin hop on board. Carr would be our highest rated guy this year by a longshot. 

You'd think he'd be able to convince some more offensive linemen that there is clearly a chance to play early!  

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That's what I meant about keeping fans happy.

4 wins with a healthy team would lead to some unhappy fans.  4 wins with a team with a lot of injuries, and most people will understand and still be happy about things.  Not saying I think they'll win 4 games, just an example.

Although, just looking at the schedule, PU still has Maryland, Nebraska, Illinois, and IU at home, and Northwestern on the road.  I'm sure a big part of fan enthusiasm will come from those 5 games.  3+ wins in them, probably happy fans.  1 or 2 wins, potentially some unhappy fans, even with the injuries.

Agree with you here on all points. 

20 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

What's the expectation on Moore coming back?  I saw that he's "week to week" or something like that.

Isn’t one really. Truly seems like a week to week deal. My guess is he misses 2 or 3 games. Saw something that said that 90% of players in that situation would’ve likely torn their ACL about because of how strong Rondale is, he avoided worse damage. Def lucky on that front. Sindelar is out at least 6-8 weeks so he’s basically done for the season. 

23 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

You'd think he'd be able to convince some more offensive linemen that there is clearly a chance to play early!  

It’s definitely a point of emphasis for sure. Hartwig is going to be a good one I think and I like some of the younger guys. The issue is that there are hardly any upperclassmen o-linemen leftover from the Hazell era. There are 3 upperclassmen total in the 2-deeps and one is a converted D-tackle who just switched positions this spring. Last year 2/5 of our starting o-line were grad transfers. Unfortunately we didn’t land any this year and we had to play young guys out of necessity. 

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Thanks for the response Boiler.   No doubt Brohm is a salesman.   

15 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Thanks for the response Boiler.   No doubt Brohm is a salesman.   

No problem. It’s obviously a very legit question. But the recruiting behind the scenes (our director of recruiting we brought over from Ohio State) has gotten exponentially better. Night and day compared to the Hazell/Hope regimes. 

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

All day long. How many times did we hear that about Archie? Hate it for the kids but the fans who memories apparently can't remember last January/February and all the Archie isn't whatever/can't coach,etc...stuff still rings very loud. No sympathy here for Captain Jeff at all. 

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All day long. How many times did we hear that about Archie? Hate it for the kids but the fans who memories apparently can't remember last January/February and all the Archie isn't whatever/can't coach,etc...stuff still rings very loud. No sympathy here for Captain Jeff at all. 

I feel for any athlete that gets injured but for the coaches not at Indiana I have no sympathy.  Go the GBI and Brohm is Saban Jr and Lil Archie is bottom 2 coaches in the league. 

Archived