Big Ten Football

BeerBQ

33 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Illinois up 21-7 on Nebraska.

I don't get this season. I mean Illinois loses to E. Michigan but beats Nebraska? TCU kills Purdue but loses to SMU. USC is playing like 3rd string qb but beats Utah. NC beats Miami but gets beat by Appilacian St. Maryland kills Syracuse but gets beat by Temple....I mean I could go on all day. Heck UCF lost a regular season game for the first time in like 3 years....a lot of mediocre football teams I guess. I'd say we can predict today...Oklahoma vs Clemson vs Alabama vs Ohio St. Outside of those teams I don't see anyone but maybe LSU threatening that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

I'd say baring going 0 fer against MSU, PSU, OSU, IOWA, AND ND he comes back. That's a ton of money to give up and who do they replace him with?? I'd say the won't extend him and see how next year goes. They won't let him go into his final season in 21 if this continues though. I mean I guess you could do worse than 9-3 every year when that is enough to fill that stadium and continue to sell tons of merchandise.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'd say baring going 0 fer against MSU, PSU, OSU, IOWA, AND ND he comes back. That's a ton of money to give up and who do they replace him with?? I'd say the won't extend him and see how next year goes. They won't let him go into his final season in 21 if this continues though. I mean I guess you could do worse than 9-3 every year when that is enough to fill that stadium and continue to sell tons of merchandise.

I don't quite see it that way.  Losses to MSU, ND, and tOSU would be a "back breaker".  Heck 2 losses out of 3 to those teams might do him in.  Very well might be moot at this point.  As far as who to go after...Mike Leach?

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't quite see it that way.  Losses to MSU, ND, and tOSU would be a "back breaker".  Heck 2 losses out of 3 to those teams might do him in.  Very well might be moot at this point.  As far as who to go after...Mike Leach?

Leach just got re-signed at WSU. That would be a hefty buyout I'm sure. Would running that spread type offense work in November in Michigan? Couldn't do worse. Ohio State is one thing...but to get those burners up there in Michigan not sure that would work any better but at least they need to do something with their offense....hurry up something...it's terrible.

13 hours ago, rico said:

Somewhat arrogant coach with a complex spread offense? Michigan would rather exhume the remains of Woody Hayes vs hiring anyone that remotely resembles RichRod.

29 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Somewhat arrogant coach with a complex spread offense? Michigan would rather exhume the remains of Woody Hayes vs hiring anyone that remotely resembles RichRod.

Dave I always value your take on things.  Who do you thing Michigan would go after if Jim was let go?

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Bob Stoops?  There was mention of the biggest Auburn booster having interest in him if Malzahn falters.  His Ohio ties could add to the intrigue of the OSU/Mich rivalry.

McMahon has him under contract to his Rasslinfootball League. Any AD is going to make the call, but don't get your hopes up.

First realistic possibility, unless he completely just tanks at Kansas, would Les Miles.

8 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I would call Mark Stoops.  Seems if you can get Kentucky football relevant, you must have the goods.  

I would imagine. That said UK is desperate to be relevant in football and in the SEC if he can finish in the top 3 of the East and go to bowl games he can write his own check. I think Bob would be a chance but he may want to go back to Oklahoma and be an AD or something. I think the XFL is just a quick money grab for him. Who knows...I think a coach like Kyle Whittingham would be a good fit but they may want a young and up and comer like Matt Campbell or Neal Brown. Who knows maybe they stick with qb alums and hire Tom Brady. Couldn’t be much worse than Harbaugh.

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

I would imagine. That said UK is desperate to be relevant in football and in the SEC if he can finish in the top 3 of the East and go to bowl games he can write his own check. I think Bob would be a chance but he may want to go back to Oklahoma and be an AD or something. I think the XFL is just a quick money grab for him. Who knows...I think a coach like Kyle Whittingham would be a good fit but they may want a young and up and comer like Matt Campbell or Neal Brown. Who knows maybe they stick with qb alums and hire Tom Brady. Couldn’t be much worse than Harbaugh.

UK might give him a raise, but they won't break the bank for a football coach.

That'd take money away from the pool allocated to their basketball roster salaries.

Just a note on the Bob Stoops stuff. His wife loves Chicago...and they own some properties there. The only job I could see this Stoops taking is 90 miles east down the toll road. That's if that position opens up. 

Michigan has themselves backed into a real corner if the team/staff doesn't turn things around. Social media wise they are constantly under attack via fans, alumni and honestly the national media folks. Goes with the territory when you give $50M and the coach can't stop talking. Problem for them is there isn't one good way to get rid of a legend/alumni,etc..

One of these high major programs will eventually realize Dino Babers is a guy who should get his chance. Or maybe Matt Campbell will want to stay in college. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a note on the Bob Stoops stuff. His wife loves Chicago...and they own some properties there. The only job I could see this Stoops taking is 90 miles east down the toll road. That's if that position opens up. 

Michigan has themselves backed into a real corner if the team/staff doesn't turn things around. Social media wise they are constantly under attack via fans, alumni and honestly the national media folks. Goes with the territory when you give $50M and the coach can't stop talking. Problem for them is there isn't one good way to get rid of a legend/alumni,etc..

One of these high major programs will eventually realize Dino Babers is a guy who should get his chance. Or maybe Matt Campbell will want to stay in college. 

90 miles east down the toll road?  Notre Dame?

1 hour ago, rico said:

90 miles east down the toll road?  Notre Dame?

I read that when I got up this morning and was really tired, and was like, why would he be holding out for the U of I...wait, why would he want to go to NIU?  Took me a few minutes to realize it was probably ND.  I'm not very smart first thing in the morning.

14 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I read that when I got up this morning and was really tired, and was like, why would he be holding out for the U of I...wait, why would he want to go to NIU?  Took me a few minutes to realize it was probably ND.  I'm not very smart first thing in the morning.

Toll road and east.  Could be Valpo?  LOL

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I would say it's one of two.  I forgot until just now that Stoops is an Ohio native. Should be easy to guess from there.  (Hint: It's not Toledo). 

Archived