Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

I am so tired of people trying to potray kids who go to the prep school route as selfish or Me First as the commenter put it. 

KB has a chance to do something special but also very difficult to do.   Play in the NBA. He is not being selfish or disloyal for simply wanting the best thing for him.  When you quit your job for a better one do people snicker and complain that you only want to get paid?  No of course not because people understand we naturally take jobs that are better opportunities for our career  

KB at this point is making a better decision for his career. 

Perhaps people should instead be looking introspectively and asking why is he leaving. Could it be that theres a new head coach that he doesnt want to play for?  He supposed to bw saddled to the program despite having no say in how its ran. Screw that. 

Do i like prep schools. No. Do i think they can benefit kids. Yes. Especially if they felt their old program was wrong for them. 

KB made a very adult decision. And the people whining and crying that he is acting childish are in fact the ones acting childish. 

I chose to go to IU at 17 because it was the best OPPORTUNITY for me. And nobody ever gave me crap for it. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I am so tired of people trying to potray kids who go to the prep school route as selfish or Me First as the commenter put it. 

KB has a chance to do something special but also very difficult to do.   Play in the NBA. He is not being selfish or disloyal for simply wanting the best thing for him.  When you quit your job for a better one do people snicker and complain that you only want to get paid?  No of course not because people understand we naturally take jobs that are better opportunities for our career  

KB at this point is making a better decision for his career. 

Perhaps people should instead be looking introspectively and asking why is he leaving. Could it be that theres a new head coach that he doesnt want to play for?  He supposed to bw saddled to the program despite having no say in how its ran. Screw that. 

Do i like prep schools. No. Do i think they can benefit kids. Yes. Especially if they felt their old program was wrong for them. 

KB made a very adult decision. And the people whining and crying that he is acting childish are in fact the ones acting childish. 

I chose to go to IU at 17 because it was the best OPPORTUNITY for me. And nobody ever gave me crap for it. 

Nobody is necessarily knocking his choice, it’s how it all went about.  He basically got a coach fired, praised the new coach and said how excited he was to play for him.  Then he decides to leave after the school bent over backwards for the kid.  Absolutely I hope all kids do what’s best for themselves, but if you are good enough to get in the NBA you could play in front of 10 people each Friday night and someone will find you.

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Nobody is necessarily knocking his choice, it’s how it all went about.  He basically got a coach fired, praised the new coach and said how excited he was to play for him.  Then he decides to leave after the school bent over backwards for the kid.  Absolutely I hope all kids do what’s best for themselves, but if you are good enough to get in the NBA you could play in front of 10 people each Friday night and someone will find you.

True but theres an indescribable amount of preparation to make the NBA. He has to go where hes best equiped to get prepared

Seems like he's going to LaLu for the right reasons (better practice and in-game comp). With both him and Newman going the prep route, I think those of you who hate it, better get used to it. IU is going to be in on kids doing it for the foreseeable future.

I don't see it as much different/any worse that what Race did coming to IU a year early and redshirting to get access to better competition/practice/strength and conditioning/etc. instead of being the best player on the court every practice and almost if not every game in normal HS. 

Sure some of these prep schools are not of the highest reputation outside of basketball, earning the basketball factory moniker, but if the dream/goal is become a professional basketball player then I think the kids should utilize them. 

6 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Seems like he's going to LaLu for the right reasons (better practice and in-game comp). With both him and Newman going the prep route, I think those of you who hate it, better get used to it. IU is going to be in on kids doing it for the foreseeable future.

I don't see it as much different/any worse that what Race did coming to IU a year early and redshirting to get access to better competition/practice/strength and conditioning/etc. instead of being the best player on the court every practice and almost if not every game in normal HS. 

Sure some of these prep schools are not of the highest reputation outside of basketball, earning the basketball factory moniker, but if the dream/goal is become a professional basketball player then I think the kids should utilize them. 

I don't hate it so much on the IU side but as a resident of Indiana I hate seeing kids leave their schools to go to these basketball factories.  I find it funny that now these basketball factories are the best way to get to the NBA when players for years went to regular high school and still got to the NBA.   I don' think going to high school hurt Greg Oden did it.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't hate it so much on the IU side but as a resident of Indiana I hate seeing kids leave their schools to go to these basketball factories.  I find it funny that now these basketball factories are the best way to get to the NBA when players for years went to regular high school and still got to the NBA.   I don' think going to high school hurt Greg Oden did it.

I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. Players can make the NBA from HS, prep school, foreign professional leagues, etc. I"m sure there are players who would have made the NBA if they went to prep school, but didn't. Just like there are players who went to prep school and didn't make the NBA when they would have had they stayed at their HS. Keion said it best when he said there are pros and cons to both, and he must have felt that for him prep school was the right way to go. 

Can't remember where I heard it and I apologize if it was someone on here I would credit them but Cal has a saying down here at UK and I actually agree with the premise....excuse me I threw up in my mouth a bit...."If your the best player in the gym...you are in the wrong gym!" Basically, you will get the best preparation and become the best basketball player you can be if you go to Kentucky because they practice with multiple 5 stars and the cream of the crop of basketball players are on their team and even if it feels like you are getting recruited over it will only make you better prepared for the NBA where teams are constantly drafting people at the same position and bringing in guys. Competition is what drives greatness. That is debatable that at UK a player will be better prepared for the NBA...because there are plenty of great programs that have tons of competition within their practices (I think we have a strong Freshman class that will push everyone on the team to get better this year) but I do agree that competition feeds the fire...and maybe that is why Brooks is going to LaLu or maybe there is more to the story....but that is a decision he and his family has made and perhaps it might not be the decision I would have made but thank God we have a wonderful free country with lots of school choices and the ability to have all these great options.

38 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

As has been noted here and elsewhere, the Indiana staff and the La Lumiere staff have good relationships across the board. 

Not convinced that was the case under the older regime(s). 

I just kind of question the ethics of La Lumiere coaching staff.  Did they not have some problems with their coaches especially the one that went to DePaul. 

I don't know the answer but I would like to see if there is any correlation between these basketball factories and guys getting into trouble with the NCAA.  I know Brian Bowen went to La Lumiere but was wondering how many of the players that had eligibility issues went to these basketball factories.

It's hard to sometimes separate the sadness many of us have for how prep schools have affected Indiana basketball from the real ethics of it.  

I'm from Valpo and didn't like the Brandon Newman situation.  Not gonna trash the kid, but did think he would probably be better served staying in Valpo.  I'm also aware that' I'm not exactly an unbiased opinion... I wanted to see him play and win.  

But I also don't think Brandon Newman is making a horrible decision that will ruin him. 

However,  I do believe loyalty and being good to people that care about you is important.  I know there were definitely people that worked with him for a while and cared about him- long before he had offers from Big 10 schools.  It's not always about being on the best team, making the most money, or having the best looking girlfriend.  The players at Valpo were sad to see him go- it may have cost them a state championship.  Some people on this board make it sound like that shouldn't matter at all.  While you shouldn't base all of your decisions on whether or not you disappoint people, but you shouldn't be callous to it either.  

In Newman's case, going to Monteverde will likely make him a better defender and more used to playing elite competition.  They probably have ways of getting him to practice more too.  And yes- this will likely get him exposure and maybe an offer from a school like Villanova or Kansas and he might climb the rankings a little higher. 

Four years from now- will this matter that much?  Do you really think months of offseason and preseason workouts at IU couldn't basically make up for what he missed in one year.  He's going to go to a program where he might not start, they'll blow teams out by forty, and there's 100 fans.  And seriously- will he make the team better?  They basically have two small forwards and two shooting guards as good or better than him (according to Rivals).  Do you really think one year at Monteverde will be the difference in whether or not he makes the NBA?  Is it really worth leaving your teammates and coaches?

I don't know Keion Brooks's situation entirely, but I basically feel like he shouldn't do this unless there was something really wrong at North.  If you basically like your coaches, team, and school, then I'd advise him to stay.  

3 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

It's hard to sometimes separate the sadness many of us have for how prep schools have affected Indiana basketball from the real ethics of it.  

I'm from Valpo and didn't like the Brandon Newman situation.  Not gonna trash the kid, but did think he would probably be better served staying in Valpo.  I'm also aware that' I'm not exactly an unbiased opinion... I wanted to see him play and win.  

But I also don't think Brandon Newman is making a horrible decision that will ruin him. 

However,  I do believe loyalty and being good to people that care about you is important.  I know there were definitely people that worked with him for a while and cared about him- long before he had offers from Big 10 schools.  It's not always about being on the best team, making the most money, or having the best looking girlfriend.  The players at Valpo were sad to see him go- it may have cost them a state championship.  Some people on this board make it sound like that shouldn't matter at all.  While you shouldn't base all of your decisions on whether or not you disappoint people, but you shouldn't be callous to it either.  

In Newman's case, going to Monteverde will likely make him a better defender and more used to playing elite competition.  They probably have ways of getting him to practice more too.  And yes- this will likely get him exposure and maybe an offer from a school like Villanova or Kansas and he might climb the rankings a little higher. 

Four years from now- will this matter that much?  Do you really think months of offseason and preseason workouts at IU couldn't basically make up for what he missed in one year.  He's going to go to a program where he might not start, they'll blow teams out by forty, and there's 100 fans.  And seriously- will he make the team better?  They basically have two small forwards and two shooting guards as good or better than him (according to Rivals).  Do you really think one year at Monteverde will be the difference in whether or not he makes the NBA?  Is it really worth leaving your teammates and coaches?

I don't know Keion Brooks's situation entirely, but I basically feel like he shouldn't do this unless there was something really wrong at North.  If you basically like your coaches, team, and school, then I'd advise him to stay.  

Amen brother! I also throw in that either one won't be able to represent their state in the all star game as well.

I know things change and you need to adapt to those changes but to me not all change is always for the better.  I just hate seeing these kids have so much pressure put on them to worry about having to get a scholarship and what is the best way to get to the NBA.  People always say that in other areas like music kids go at a young age to justify it but to me I don't like seeing those kids get exploited as well.  What ever happen to letting kids be kids and let them grow at a normal pace.  Let kids do what kids do and let them be with their friends and play for the fun of it.  You just don't see kids go out to the play ground or schools where there are outdoor courts and just play and have fun.  I know I was not an elite athlete but I wouldn't wanted to give up my summers like these kids have to do today in order to get a scholarship.

I don't know if the kids actually want to do this all the time or are they getting pressured from parents or coaches to play structure ball all year around.  I also don't like seeing kids having to make a choice on sports at such an early age and like seeing kids play multiple sports or other activities.  I am from a  small school where the better athletes had to play multiple sports for our teams to have a chance to compete and even in the small schools there are battles between sports today.

5 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

Could him going to prep school be the difference between making the NBA and not? Absolutely! You even conceded that point is likely in your response...when you're competing for a spot in the NBA, every little difference is critiqued and could mean make/break for your pro career. Especially a run of the mill 4 star prospect. 

Also, only one year? A basketball career will likely only last probably 15 more years for him from this point forward...gotta maximize that window. 

Now for my career, I wish I could retire in 15 years 😉 I understand what you're getting at btw, but without "inside info" on him or KBJ I don't think it's fair to make these leaps imo. 

I’ve said it before and I will leave it at this..to me a prep school should be there for kids getting out of a bad situation that are behind to prepare them for college classes...to take a kid out of a dangerous environment...or to take a kid who doesn’t have a current program up to snuff or proper coaching and support at his high school to help teach and grow the kid. If that is the case I’m all for them going. If they have excellent high school facilities and coaching...will play a talented HS schedule are not at risk of life or gangs and are not behind educationally I don’t think a kid will benefit much from the change. If his parents and he have examined his surroundings and found them inadequate then so be it...but it’s hard to justify the move. There is no concrete evidence these kids at prep schools end up any better than the HS kids. Anyways it’s all mute now. Just hope Newman and Brooks realize that IU is an incredible opportunity that they shouldn’t pass up.

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Let me ask you guys this.  Would you rather be on a state championship team or maybe be Indiana Mr. Basketball?  Or perhaps be named to the Indiana All-Star team?  Or make millions playing at the highest level?  

Cody said yes to all of the above.  😆

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 hours ago, rico said:

Let me ask you guys this.  Would you rather be on a state championship team or maybe be Indiana Mr. Basketball?  Or perhaps be named to the Indiana All-Star team?  Or make millions playing at the highest level?  

You can have both but my first priority would to win the state championships and then Mr. basketball.

6 hours ago, rico said:

Based on what little evidence I've seen thus far, a year in prep school doesn't seem to have much impact on a player's chances of success in the NBA.

Archived