Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me but I think KBJ's decision might make the pitch to go to IU easier. The staff can convince him that unlike the decision he just made, he won't have to make any sacrifices if he goes to IU. Stay in-state and revive your legacy, play with talented/ familiar guys (hopefully TJD, Newman), play for a national contender program, and play for a coach that your father knows will look out for your best interests and is capable of making you successful at the next level. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You just don’t get Indiana high school basketball, ok?

So you would pass up millions of dollars to win a state champ or Mr bball?   Millions. Not thousands, millions. Like enough to change the direction of your entire future and your future children...I have to admit with the question being millions or NO millions, I'd take the millions in a milli-second. 

11 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

So you would pass up millions of dollars to win a state champ or Mr bball?   Millions. Not thousands, millions. Like enough to change the direction of your entire future and your future children...I have to admit with the question being millions or NO millions, I'd take the millions in a milli-second. 

I knew I should have used the sarcasm font. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Thanks Scott. I can also cherrypick a bunch of dudes that went to prep school and got drafted. 

Just saying you can have both and I would rather splay for my high school and win those awards than going the prep school route.  I did not realize that you can't play in high school and make millions of dollars.  I would rather have the career of those players I mentioned over someone like Jaren Jackson.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying you can have both and I would rather splay for my high school and win those awards than going the prep school route.  I did not realize that you can't play in high school and make millions of dollars.  I would rather have the career of those players I mentioned over someone like Jaren Jackson.

Jaren Jackson hasn’t played a minute of pro basketball so how can you even say that? You’re just stubbornly trying to make your point even when it makes no sense. 

10 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Jaren Jackson hasn’t played a minute of pro basketball so how can you even say that? You’re just stubbornly trying to make your point even when it makes no sense. 

I am not talking about pro careers but high school and college.  I would rather play high school basketball in Indiana with a chance to win the state championship and Mr. basketball over worrying about my best way to the NBA.  Also I have not seen anything that proves going to these basketball factories actually help you get to the NBA any better than playing high school basketball.

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not talking about pro careers but high school and college.  I would rather play high school basketball in Indiana with a chance to win the state championship and Mr. basketball over worrying about my best way to the NBA.  Also I have not seen anything that proves going to these basketball factories actually help you get to the NBA any better than playing high school basketball.

7 of the last 10 #1 picks went to prep school. 

21 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

That is great but most of those kids did not play in a state where high school basketball is that good.  I don't care what kids out of state does because I don't care about those states but do care about high school basketball in the state of Indiana.  Just going off the top of my head but these players played high school basketball in Indiana and still was drafted

Oscar Robertson

George McGinnis

Larry Bird

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Damon Bailey

Allan Henderson

Glenn Robinson

Greg Oden

Mike Conley

George Hill

McRoberts

Courtney Lee

Etwauan Moore

Eric Gordon

Robbie Hummel

Jajuan Johnson

Cody Zeller

Caleb Swanigan

Probably a lot more but I don't want to take the time to look

24 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

How many of those guys transferred from a public middle/high school?  For example, guys like Ayton, who are recruited from foreign countries specifically to play basketball, are only ever going to play at prep schools.

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is great but most of those kids did not play in a state where high school basketball is that good.  I don't care what kids out of state does because I don't care about those states but do care about high school basketball in the state of Indiana.  Just going off the top of my head but these players played high school basketball in Indiana and still was drafted

Oscar Robertson

George McGinnis

Larry Bird

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Damon Bailey

Allan Henderson

Glenn Robinson

Greg Oden

Mike Conley

George Hill

McRoberts

Courtney Lee

Etwauan Moore

Eric Gordon

Robbie Hummel

Jajuan Johnson

Cody Zeller

Caleb Swanigan

Adding that.... some of the best prep bb head coaches in the country, ply their trade in Indiana.  Not only some of the best players, but also some of the best coaches in America come from Indiana.

Mind if I add Brandon Dawson to that list ?  A prepster who took his high school to a state championship game, only to lose to Cody Zeller. Also played on a summer team that included two of those you mentioned, Hummel, and Moore, as well as Harongody. And in college, Brandon,  later helped his team to an NCAAT final four appearance. 

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Oscar Robertson

George McGinnis

Larry Bird

Calbert Cheaney

Greg Graham

Damon Bailey

Allan Henderson

Glenn Robinson

Greg Oden

Mike Conley

George Hill

McRoberts

Courtney Lee

Etwauan Moore

Eric Gordon

Robbie Hummel

Jajuan Johnson

Cody Zeller

Caleb Swanigan

It’s not about getting drafted. It’s about getting drafted as high as possible. 

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

It’s not about getting drafted. It’s about getting drafted as high as possible. 

I guess we should just agree to disagree on this topic because you will never convince me it is better for these kids to go to these basketball factories.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Scott, the NBA is the goal. It is their dream and their chance to make real money in life playing basketball. You might rather play HS ball in IN and become an IN Mr. Basketball, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if a kid / his family feels that a prep school is the better course for his future, there's nothing wrong with that either.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Scott, the NBA is the goal. It is their dream and their chance to make real money in life playing basketball. You might rather play HS ball in IN and become an IN Mr. Basketball, and there's nothing wrong with that, but if a kid / his family feels that a prep school is the better course for his future, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Bing!!!  Thank you, sir!!

16 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So from my count ...... for the 1st rd of 2018 Draft

Prep - 8.5 (Bagley is a half for both)

HS / private / Indep. (Non-prep) - 17.5

Foreign Born - 4

That's about as objective as you can get.  I'm all for letting a kid decide what is his best path, but I just don't see a ton of evidence that clearly shows the value of a year of prep school.  There might be a little bit of marginal growth but it's hard to say there's any clear evidence of a real advantage.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Remember a couple of more

Eric Montross

Junior Bridgeman

Gordon Hayward

I am not saying these kids should not be allowed to do go to prep school but I just don't see how it really helps them.

Jason Gardner. Another name to add to the list, IMHO.  Played at North Central.  Mr. Basketball in Indiana.  Current coach in Indiana. 

I'm sure there are examples of what I'm getting ready to say is wrong. I will say this though. This state takes care of kids who play in high school and who play for IU. Plenty of career opportunities after playing days are over.  I'm not saying it's a big factor...but it is one to consider when choosing a path. Maybe not for the sure fire 5 star NBA guys who can do what they want because the $$$$ will be there...but the guys who might play a year or two and bounce around Europe for a few and wake up at age 28 being unemployed.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Remember a couple of more

Eric Montross

Junior Bridgeman

Gordon Hayward

I am not saying these kids should not be allowed to do go to prep school but I just don't see how it really helps them.

You keep naming these individual players like it means anything. Far more players play high school basketball and don’t play at the next level. 

Come mothers and fathers 

Throughout the land,

And don't criticize

What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters

Are beyond your command,

Your old road is rapidly agin',

Please get out of the new one

If you can't lend a hand

For the times they are a changin'.

Dylan

Archived