Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I went to school at that time and our middle or junior high was 7th and 8th grade. Our high school was 9th through 12th grade.

I do know some Junior High/Middle schools were 7-9, with the first year of high school being 10. Others were 7-8 etc. It was different throughout the country and various school systems. There are schools today that still have 7-9. I am no expert on this, but based on my MJ research, I am guessing this is what happened to him as there is never any mention of his freshman year. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

In the hopes that we might move on from the prep school debate, Kahlil Whitney (5-star Small Forward) committed to UK today. Sounds more and more like this will end up being a two horse race between IU and MSU. 

I second, third and fourth this in hope of moving on from the prep school debate......................

25 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I do know some Junior High/Middle schools were 7-9, with the first year of high school being 10. Others were 7-8 etc. It was different throughout the country and various school systems. There are schools today that still have 7-9. I am no expert on this, but based on my MJ research, I am guessing this is what happened to him as there is never any mention of his freshman year. 

Actual at my school the junior high and high school was in the same building.  On MJ O thought th story was that he did not make the varsity his sophomore year.

25 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

In the hopes that we might move on from the prep school debate, Kahlil Whitney (5-star Small Forward) committed to UK today. Sounds more and more like this will end up being a two horse race between IU and MSU. 

What else do you want to talk about since it is August and nothing else is going on.  It is better than having a ghostown on this board through the summer.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What else do you want to talk about since it is August and nothing else is going on.  It is better than having a ghostown on this board through the summer.

It's never too early to talk about the season. After all, midnight madness is next month :) 

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

It's never too early to talk about the season. After all, midnight madness is next month :) 

So talk about the season but I think we have talked about that as well.  Besides talking lineups and what we think the record will be there is not much else to say on the subject.

1 minute ago, zerawkid said:

And moving on to what, exactly?

something other than arguing prep school vs a non prep school.  Its Keions choice where he wants to play along with his parents, he is choosing to go to prep school whether its truly best for him or not, we will not know until he is finished with the upcoming season and committed to a University(hopefully IU).  I can chime in on the current prep school vs non prep school argument if others would like....

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I do agree that there isn't much to talk about but I'm really just saying that the Whitney commitment to UK sounds like it will be a major factor in KBJ's recruitment and I hope we can transition into something more specific about KBJ. 

If you're genuinely asking me about topics we could talk about with KBJ lol then I'd suggest... how we would utilize both Hunter and KBJ if they shared floor time, the impact Isiah Stewart might have on trying to sway KBJ to MSU, if you think KBJ will be a OAD and where you see him being picked at, what your assessment of him is after the July period...

5 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

I do agree that there isn't much to talk about but I'm really just saying that the Whitney commitment to UK sounds like it will be a major factor in KBJ's recruitment and I hope we can transition into something more specific about KBJ. 

If you're genuinely asking me about topics we could talk about with KBJ lol then I'd suggest... how we would utilize both Hunter and KBJ if they shared floor time, the impact Isiah Stewart might have on trying to sway KBJ to MSU, if you think KBJ will be a OAD and where you see him being picked at, what your assessment of him is after the July period...

It does seem to be a log jam at the 3 if Keion comes next year....that said I think there is a real good chance one or both of Smith and Hunter get drafted. Anderson probably would see some time at the 3 as well. That said I could easily see us going big and playing all 3 along side TJD and Phinesee with Anderson off the bench...but again I think Hunter will blow up this year.

7 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

I'll tie it back into the prep school debate.  Sorry.  I think it is safe to say that a major factor in the prep school decision was to accelerate the NBA process.  Brooks said as much over the weekend.  Kentucky having two wings in their 2019 class cannot be helpful to that cause.  I won't say Kentucky is out here, but I think Brooks is going to have to really rationalize it if he wants to go there bad. 

52 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I'll tie it back into the prep school debate.  Sorry.  I think it is safe to say that a major factor in the prep school decision was to accelerate the NBA process.  Brooks said as much over the weekend.  Kentucky having two wings in their 2019 class cannot be helpful to that cause.  I won't say Kentucky is out here, but I think Brooks is going to have to really rationalize it if he wants to go there bad. 

Really good point. Goes without saying that Coach Schilling will be important in this recruitment. Was reading MSU's player development coach's bio and I was more impressed with what Schilling had to offer.

In terms of UK, I anticipate Cal to completely cool on KBJ. Sounds like they were more impressed with Whitney and Allen than Brooks during the July Period and were obviously eager to get them on campus immediately. 

Will be interesting to see which school replaces UK as a top contender. 

Guys are starting to go off the board...things will start to shake out now that a few dominos have fallen. I was worried about Cal before but more so because I don't want another Indiana kid playing on that team ever again more than his actual place on the team considering they have other targets at his position. I think by HH we should see our first commitment...and hopefully a couple more to follow them.

On 8/5/2018 at 10:27 AM, The Daily Hoosier said:

We ran our own opinion piece on the prep school matter -- in large part directed towards what IMO was a ridiculous article by the Fort Wayne News Sentinel.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/keion-brooks-jr-is-going-to-la-lumiere-and-the-world-isnt-ending/

The infamous Tom Davis, who wrote said ridiculous article, has been canned: https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/news-sentinel-lays-off-7-of-8-remaining-employees/1360320575 

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

The infamous Tom Davis, who wrote said ridiculous article, has been canned: https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/news-sentinel-lays-off-7-of-8-remaining-employees/1360320575 

I missed that.  Sorry to hear that.  It’s always tough to hear about people losing their jobs.  

The old media universe is tough, but there is more of a variety and creativity in outlets.  As an example, you see some local guys like the senior Bozich or Bob Kravitz end up at television stations that are developing online content suitable for columnists. I’m sure the folks who lost their jobs will land someplace good, but it’s still a tough thing to endure and I’m sure we all hate to see something like that happen. 

Archived