Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

2 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

Let go of the past lol.  It’s a new era.  I have great confidence that Archie is going to land a class combination that is going to be legit no matter which way you stack it.  

I’m not commenting on the Crean era, I’m talking about the importance of getting high-level recruits right now.  Everyone always says “IU will be just fine if we don’t get [insert any big-time recruit here].”  I just don’t buy that, for a lot of reasons.  Archie’s not going to land a legit class in 2019 if he misses out on all the recruits he’s prioritized (and TJD is the only recruit that’s been more of a priority for the staff than Brooks).

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

We are recruiting at least 2 other players as good as Keion at his position... we also have Justin Smith and Jerome Hunter. 

You’re talking about Hurt and Watford?  It’s looking like Brooks is the only one of those three that we have a good shot at right now.  And sure, Smith and Hunter will be good players.  But I want IU to be stacking as much talent as possible.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Category 1:  In state guys I want to see at IU (a-la Romeo)

Category 2:  In state guys I don't want to see at IU. 

Category 3:  In-state guys that I'm indifferent about whether they go to IU or not. 

There are enough red flags with Brooks that he does not fall into Category 1 for me.  Maybe he does for others, but not me.  

Considering the state of the program at the time, there is no comparison to Cody.  And, Yogi was not only a champion in high school (Brooks has not been), but he also had the heart of a lion.  Those are two things I admire over everything else, whether the kid is from Indiana or the North Pole.

I see where you’re coming from.  My point is less about Brooks himself and more about what signing him will mean for the program.  Archie needs to build on the momentum he’s established after landing Romeo if we want IU to be viewed as an attractive destination for the best recruits. The staff has sunk a ton of resources into Brooks, and he’s an Indiana kid.  I think landing him and TJD will be absolutely essential to maintaining that recruiting momentum going forward, both in the state and out of it.  Regardless of how good Brooks actually is, high-level recruits pay attention to where other high-level recruits are going.  Archie needs to close the deal on the players he’s been prioritizing for 2019 — that’s what IU hired him to do.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I don’t get too worked up about the prep schools either way.  Doubt that things would’ve turned out any differently for him whether he would’ve went to public school or prep school.  But I’m sure he wouldn’t go back and do anything differently looking at where he is now.  

As for Brooks, I just hope Archie can give his handlers what they want.  If he can’t, one of Cal, Roy, Izzo, or Alford will.

LOL, if he has his hands out then you pass

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Category 3:  In-state guys that I'm indifferent about whether they go to IU or not. 

There are enough red flags with Brooks that he does not fall into Category 1 for me.  Maybe he does for others, but not me.  

Considering the state of the program at the time, there is no comparison to Cody.  And, Yogi was not only a champion in high school (Brooks has not been), but he also had the heart of a lion.  Those are two things I admire over everything else, whether the kid is from Indiana or the North Pole.

Also, speaking of winning...

I’m indifferent about the prep thing. I feel there are legitimate reasons to go that route. To get kids out of a bad environment, to help get tutoring and special educational focuses if they struggle to prepare for college. Better competition if they are in an area that has poor coaching, facilities, competition for the most part that would limit their growth. These or any combination of these I think are legitimate to go this path. If it’s not the case and your in a good HS system with good coaching and not a threatening environment I think there isn’t a real positive for going this route and probably more a red flag than anything.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Or Oladipo. Or Hulls. Or Watford. 

So one diamond in the rough, Mr. Basketball, and a borderline 5 star.  All of whom wouldn’t have won squat without Zeller.

Lol, this is such a boring and dumb conversation.  I give up.  I hope Archie tells Brooks and TJD to go kick rocks and signs a bunch of three star white guys in 2019.  That’s “INDIANA BASKETBALL” at its finest!!!

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So one diamond in the rough, Mr. Basketball, and a borderline 5 star.  All of whom wouldn’t have won squat without Zeller.

Lol, this is such a boring and dumb conversation.  I give up.  I hope Archie tells Brooks and TJD to go kick rocks and signs a bunch of three star white guys in 2019.  That’s “INDIANA BASKETBALL” at its finest!!!

Ok. Borderline silly comments by you in this thread. 

I mean everyone wants talent.. that's not just you. If its Brooks cool.. if not we will get someone else. And also... we have guys on the roster now that aren't slouches. I dont understand his move to Prep school at all. Had a legit chance at a 4A state and Mr. Basketball 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I mean everyone wants talent.. that's not just you. If its Brooks cool.. if not we will get someone else. And also... we have guys on the roster now that aren't slouches. I dont understand his move to Prep school at all. Had a legit chance at a 4A state and Mr. Basketball 

Aside from my obviously sarcastic last post, what have I said that’s “borderline silly”?

49 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Perhaps Brooks doesn’t value those things. And it’s not for a bunch of dudes on a message board to tell Brooks what he should value. 

Usually when I take a 3-4 day break from the board this time of year I expect a commit when I sign back on. Not sure which way to take this news about Keion. Never have been a fan a La Lu....couple of their former assistants are still being the same guys just now on the collegiate level (namely Depaul). I'll wait for 0708 to keep posting before I jump on Keion. Our coaches closed the biggest recruit in Indiana since Cody and Gordon. If someone doesn't want to be at IU for whatever reason that's on them. 

I personally still think KB Jr is a huge talent we want but our coaches have been out with other 2019's  lately so maybe writing is on the wall.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah, have to disagree the "not being a champion" thing. He's won conference, holiday, sectional, regional, semi-state titles in high school. NSHS hadn't been to the state finals in a long, long, time. He's in position to be the school's all-time leading scorer. Whether you like him as a player or not is one thing, but to diminish his accomplishments because of "red flags" is a little unfair.

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Perhaps Brooks doesn’t value those things. And it’s not for a bunch of dudes on a message board to tell Brooks what he should value. 

I don't think we are going to talk to him about it. If he doesn't value a state title maybe it's best he plays elsewhere. 

I'm late to the party on this Keion news so I apologize if already discussed. I've posted before that Delaney is someone I don't trust after the Lyles situation. The fact that he coaches with Keion's Dad...and is close in their circle....should I or we be looking into this news that the wheels are in motion for elsewhere?

So just for reference what has been the relationship of La Lumiere players going to Indiana? I remember Hanner Perea but is it we don’t have a great relationship with this school a problem for Brooks going there or is it the fact he is passing on Indiana HS basketball that we all hold so dear?

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So just for reference what has been the relationship of La Lumiere players going to Indiana? I remember Hanner Perea but is it we don’t have a great relationship with this school a problem for Brooks going there or is it the fact he is passing on Indiana HS basketball that we all hold so dear?

My opinion only. Crean knew the place was full of dirty and stayed away. Zero clue what's up there now. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

My opinion only. Crean knew the place was full of dirty and stayed away. Zero clue what's up there now. 

So is the general consensus that these prep schools are full of kids that are open to the highest bidder? Meaning they are recruited by these prep schools and given let’s say certain perks to come and play there so it’s just a natural progression for their next step to have to do the same to acquire them? I ain’t going to lie..my familiarity with these type of schools is somewhat naive. I’ve always seen these private schools just like most Academic ones to prep kids for college or to keep them out of running with a bad crowd and give them a shot at success. Perhaps there is something a little more dirty with some.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s the latter, for certain. 

I’m an Indiana high school boys coach. Means the world to me and our community, as I’m sure it does across the state. We have 1,700 fans minimum at every home game in a 2,000 seat gym. 

If he feels that is the best fit for him, then have at it. Love to have him at IU, but just for what it’s worth, he’s the 7-9th guy next year...IMO this years class is gonna be a stud class we talk about for years to come. 

Also, barring some injury or out of nowhere, we’ll be getting 2 Mr Basketballs in a row (TJD) so long as that recruitment  continues like it has been! 

Much love y’all! 

Archived