Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

Seems like his dad was talking up uk because the interviewer was a uk guy. I think we are still in good shape.

This is a likely interpretation of the remarks. Also, consider, you don’t tip your hand before you fold. Or, go all in, for that matter. My poker analogy is just to say: of course you say nice things about a player in the recruitment of your son, even if you know darn well who your son likes.

2 hours ago, CapnRon said:

Seems like his dad was talking up uk because the interviewer was a uk guy. I think we are still in good shape.

I hope so.  I can't stand Calipari and don't understand how all these kids are so enamored with him.  Just would really hate to lose a player like Brooks to that slimeball,  but I know its going to happen sooner or later.

5 hours ago, CapnRon said:

That's what I got from the interview. They are clearly impressed with how Cal gets guys to the NBA (we all know that's how all these recruits feel though). At the end of the day, Dad said it was his son's decision and Maxey clearly states that KBJ is really high on IU. 

Considering Cal's recruiting/roster management, unless KBJ really excels at UK, he will be forgotten/become dispensable to the fans & staff very quickly. At least at IU, he can be a hometown hero and play with a roster full of guys with smaller egos (which someone who is an "unselfish" player would like). Not to mention, the Big Ten has just as many, if not more, NBA caliber players to go up against.

5 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Looking at 247 CB picks recently, seeing another highly ranked Small Forward predicted to go to UK. Wondering if that means that Cal is backing off from KBJ...

Cal recruits like two deep at every position every year...it means nothing until all their scholarships are gone.

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Maybe they just think Brooks will sign during the early period and not draw it out until the spring....but I'd have a hard time believing they are in the driver seat on him. Same thing with Hurt....he may be high on their list but hard to say they are a favorite with UK and Duke also in the midst.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe they just think Brooks will sign during the early period and not draw it out until the spring....but I'd have a hard time believing they are in the driver seat on him. Same thing with Hurt....he may be high on their list but hard to say they are a favorite with UK and Duke also in the midst.

That was what I took from it, as well.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Cal recruits like two deep at every position every year...it means nothing until all their scholarships are gone.

True, but they already have a Small Forward committed (DJ Jefferies). Also saw an article about Whitney and he was mentioned as saying that Kentucky is the school that he wants to play for. 

If this kid likely commits to his dream school we could see a big competitor back off KBJ pretty soon. 

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

No real inside info on this one but piecing some things together I believe it is a 3 horse race at best maybe just 2. IU, MSU and that school in the state below us. 

Agree. Not sure why he would want to go to UCLA....well actually I do...the sun and the girls. While they get guys to the NBA they are an utter disappointment when it comes to getting results on the court. Not too sure how much longer Alford can last there...and then we should see an end to them being a major player for our guys.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree. Not sure why he would want to go to UCLA....well actually I do...the sun and the girls. While they get guys to the NBA they are an utter disappointment when it comes to getting results on the court. Not too sure how much longer Alford can last there...and then we should see an end to them being a major player for our guys.

I believe that the only reason UCLA was ever really an option is sitting on our bench as our top recruiter!

32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I believe that the only reason UCLA was ever really an option is sitting on our bench as our top recruiter!

If I were KBJ, the fact that Schilling left a great program in UCLA for IU would give me enough reason to believe that IU is headed in the right direction. 

That is definitely an impressive list to choose from. I'm confident that an even bigger Hoosier Hysteria this year and seeing the reception that an in-state player like Romeo will receive during it will make a large impression on him.

Excited/nervous to see how this recruitment unfolds! 

2 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

If I were KBJ, the fact that Schilling left a great program in UCLA for IU would give me enough reason to believe that IU is headed in the right direction. 

That is definitely an impressive list to choose from. I'm confident that an even bigger Hoosier Hysteria this year and seeing the reception that an in-state player like Romeo will receive during it will make a large impression on him.

Excited/nervous to see how this recruitment unfolds! 

My best guess is Alford has about 2 years left unless they win big before then. That's a primo job and he's a B level coach. He recruits well, but that's about it. And I think any competent coach would recruit well there. Culturally (among other things) I've never understood the fit. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Any significant info from the recent Rabjohns article, or just sharing that IU, MSU, UNC, UK, and UCLA are the likely top 5 in his next list cut?

Here's a free article that most likely covers the same topics: https://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2018/07/five-star_forward_keion_brooks.html  

"He also has five schools in mind for official visits: Indiana, Michigan State, Kentucky, UCLA and North Carolina. He also plans to take some unofficial visits, including to Georgetown." 

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Here's a free article that most likely covers the same topics: https://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2018/07/five-star_forward_keion_brooks.html  

"He also has five schools in mind for official visits: Indiana, Michigan State, Kentucky, UCLA and North Carolina. He also plans to take some unofficial visits, including to Georgetown." 

Surely there is an easier way to get Patrick Ewing’s autograph. 

Archived