2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Surprised there aren’t more cardinal fans...

Well, we have the Cubs, Reds, and Cards covered in NL Central fandom...

I guess we need a rep for the Brewers and Bucs.

The Brewers will be kinda tough, because every time I see a game there, they're all wearing Cub's gear...and what are the odds one of the 2 or 3 hundred people that show up at a Pirates game would be posting here?

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, we have the Cubs, Reds, and Cards covered in NL Central fandom...

I guess we need a rep for the Brewers and Bucs.

The Brewers will be kinda tough, because every time I see a game there, they're all wearing Cub's gear...and what are the odds one of the 2 or 3 hundred people that show up at a Pirates game would be posting here?

I literally do not know one single Pirate fan...but plenty of Steelers fans.  What's up with that?

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I literally do not know one single Pirate fan...but plenty of Steelers fans.  What's up with that?

I work with a Pirates fan but he use to live in Pittsburgh.  I assume there are more fans of other NFL teams around Indiana because until the Colts moved you had to be fans of other teams.  When I was a kid I was a Cowboys fan because they were always on TV and I really liked Roger Staubach.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I work with a Pirates fan but he use to live in Pittsburgh.  I assume there are more fans of other NFL teams around Indiana because until the Colts moved you had to be fans of other teams.  When I was a kid I was a Cowboys fan because they were always on TV and I really liked Roger Staubach.

The Pirates were on TV quite a bit in the 70's, they were pretty dang good.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

79 world series was very good against the Orioles and it seemed like they met the Reds in the playoffs a lot as well.

The Pirates were great in the 70's period.  The Bucs made the play-offs 6X and faced the Reds in 4 of them.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

A blast from the past.  "The Lumber Company" and Rennie Stennett.  The Bucs were something else.

Yes they were...Clemente was the best all around player I ever saw (granted, Willie Mays was on the tail end of his career when I started watching a lot of baseball).

The forgotten guy was Sanguillen. Not a steller defender, but boy could he hit. To this day the best "bad ball" hitter I've ever seen. I saw him tomahawk a ball that was even with the bill of his batting helmet onto Waveland Avenue.

Those teams could sure fluff up an ERA.  

Joe Maddon on his contract status

"It has nothing to do with wins and losses. If that's the case, I would have signed a contract at the end of last season. Our success is pretty good. You can't just reduce it to wins and losses. That makes no sense at all."

For what it's worth, there was a report that said Theo was pissed about this comment, but he refuted that...

But I think Maddon is whistling past the graveyard...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Joe Maddon on his contract status

"It has nothing to do with wins and losses. If that's the case, I would have signed a contract at the end of last season. Our success is pretty good. You can't just reduce it to wins and losses. That makes no sense at all."

For what it's worth, there was a report that said Theo was pissed about this comment, but he refuted that...

But I think Maddon is whistling past the graveyard...

Joe is smart. So is Theo. Both know what's being said and how it plays out in fan world. Theo gets criticized for moves/trades. Joe gets criticized for players not performing. Part of the deal. Not sure who is right or wrong. I think they work perfectly together. Hope it continues....considering it's the greatest Cubs success in our lifetime.

Archived