2019 MLB Discussion

rico

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You never know, but I think the Chapman trade was necessary for the Cubs to win the Series in 16. 

And they needed a closer in 17 too...big price to pay, but that's MLB these days.

WS title aside...how would Torres and Soler look in Cubs' uniforms right now?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Understand.  Was not questioning the signing of Galvis.  Simply stating that Iglesias was not going to switch positions because of it.  

Short term move will likely be to send O'Grady or VanMeter down.  Whoever does go will be back up when the rosters expand.

Understood here as well.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Peraza got sent down?

22 minutes ago, rico said:

WS title aside...how would Torres and Soler look in Cubs' uniforms right now?

58 more HRs, north of 140 more RBIs, but also north of 230 Ks.

The guy I'm most interested to see down the road in a Cubs uniform is Happ. I see a ton of potential. Holding on to him might be worth it in the long run.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

LOL.  Did not realize the NBA schedule came out.  I literally thought to myself how absurd it was to have a 2020 MLB schedule before a 2019 NBA one.

The first 6 or 7 games on the Pacers schedule looks prey good to me for a quick start.  They play Detroit 3 times in the first 8 games and Cleveland twice.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where former Cubs POF Soler was named player of the week and has hit 35 HR this year.  Wondering what the Cubs fans think of trading him to KC a few years ago.

He's also had 33 home runs in 273 games over the past 3+ seasons. That trade isn't even a movement on the radar....but I'm thinking you brought this up for what reason? Haha

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You never know, but I think the Chapman trade was necessary for the Cubs to win the Series in 16. 

And they needed a closer in 17 too...big price to pay, but that's MLB these days.

It was a no brainer. Jorge (who I like) wasn't really interested in becoming a pro....hopefully he gets things turned around. Glad that he's at least earning another contract.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

The guy I'm most interested to see down the road in a Cubs uniform is Happ. I see a ton of potential. Holding on to him might be worth it in the long run.

For the "future" the Cubs would have been better off with Soler and Torres on the roster.  But hindsight is always 20/20....and Josh Donaldson is in the rear view mirror as well.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I really like Happ, also.  He's got speed, power, fielding, and perhaps he can hit for average. 

28 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I really like Happ, also.  He's got speed, power, fielding, and perhaps he can hit for average. 

Hope so. Happ's problem has always been in between the ears. The guy is so intense about his craft he kind of hurts himself sometimes. Especially in baseball...the intensity can be a shortcoming. So far he's performing nicely since being called back up. Hope for his sake it lasts. 

Reds down 6-2 in the 5th to the Nationals and for the 3rd straight start Disco was pretty bad.  For the 3rd straight game he gave up 3 runs in the first inning and you can't win that way.  I have a feeling we will see the Reds come back down to earth after that loss on Sunday to the Cubs.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds down 6-2 in the 5th to the Nationals and for the 3rd straight start Disco was pretty bad.  For the 3rd straight game he gave up 3 runs in the first inning and you can't win that way.  I have a feeling we will see the Reds come back down to earth after that loss on Sunday to the Cubs.

If the Reds can finish around .500, it will be a good year showing much improvement.  They have lots of young talent everywhere.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think he gets hot and goes for 110

I have to laugh.  The only game in the last 5 that he did not go deep was Sunday.  The game my family and I were at GABP.  We were so stoked to see him play, but all he could muster was a single.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have to laugh.  The only game in the last 5 that he did not go deep was Sunday.  The game my family and I were at GABP.  We were so stoked to see him play, but all he could muster was a single.

Think that had more to do with a vet like Lester actually paying attention to scouting report. Off speed, low and away....out of zone. For some reason our pitchers the previous couple of days thought it was a good idea to lob belt high inner half fastballs to him. 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Think that had more to do with a vet like Lester actually paying attention to scouting report. Off speed, low and away....out of zone. For some reason our pitchers the previous couple of days thought it was a good idea to lob belt high inner half fastballs to him. 

The rational reason is because 5 and his family were there. Who are you kidding?

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing else to talk about I guess but I am done with this discussion because he will not change my thoughts on this topic.

My intent was never to get you to change your mind, you can only lead a horse to water. Just simply trying to show you how analytics are incorporated into sports, especially baseball, and how they are right more times than they are wrong.

Just now, IndyResident16 said:

My intent was never to get you to change your mind, you can only lead a horse to water. Just simply trying to show you how analytics are incorporated into sports, especially baseball, and how they are right more times than they are wrong.

i know it is part of the sport but it does not mean it makes the game better.  Like last night for instance the Nationals was up 6-2 after 6 and their pitcher only gave up 2 runs and had like 92 pitches but they took him out.  Their bullpen is the worst pen in MLB so why take a guy out who was going pretty well and his last 4 innings were pretty easy.  Their bullpen gave up 4 runs and left the tying run on second base in the 9th to only win the game 7-6.

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So I will kick the discussion from the Pomeroy thread off by seeking clarification...

Indyresident16, as far as Koufax goes, do you think he wouldn't be as effective today because of the speeds he was throwing in the 60s? 

No, just familiarity. Back in Koufax' era there just wasn't much left handed pitching, especially dominant left-handed pitching. Sure guys pitched left handed, before and during Koufax' era but hitters just weren't accustomed to seeing lefties night in and night out like they are today. You look at today's game and some the best pitching in the last 5-10 years have all been lefthanders (Kershaw, Hernandez, Sale). Koufax had the stuff to get today's hitters out, but it's nothing that I personally believe would overwhelm hitters to the extent that it did in the 60's.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

i know it is part of the sport but it does not mean it makes the game better.  Like last night for instance the Nationals was up 6-2 after 6 and their pitcher only gave up 2 runs and had like 92 pitches but they took him out.  Their bullpen is the worst pen in MLB so why take a guy out who was going pretty well and his last 4 innings were pretty easy.  Their bullpen gave up 4 runs and left the tying run on second base in the 9th to only win the game 7-6.

Again anomaly. Fedde the third time through the order was giving up harder hit balls. He threw almost 30 pitches in the 6th inning and his spot was due up in the order. They pinch hit for him and they ended up scoring a run that proved to be the eventual game winner. 

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

No, just familiarity. Back in Koufax' era there just wasn't much left handed pitching, especially dominant left-handed pitching. Sure guys pitched left handed, before and during Koufax' era but hitters just weren't accustomed to seeing lefties night in and night out like they are today. You look at today's game and some the best pitching in the last 5-10 years have all been lefthanders (Kershaw, Hernandez, Sale). Koufax had the stuff to get today's hitters out, but it's nothing that I personally believe would overwhelm hitters to the extent that it did in the 60's.

I'm more of the mind that with training/nutrition being what they are today, Koufax would have even nastier stuff than he had in the 60s. I think that about a lot of athletes who've competed in years gone by...

Wilt Chamberlain for instance...I think the Wilt that played in the 60s would be a tad less dominant than he was then, but with today's training advantages, he would be the preeminent player in the game today, even with the shift away from bigs.

Same with Babe Ruth. Vices aside, I think the guy would be a star today if he'd come up today and trained like athletes do

Archived