2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Geez, wonder if the Cubs can get Taylor Davis from Iowa to pitch an inning tonight.

This is embarrassing...

Yeah, who is our member that was jacking his jaws during Thursday night's game?  I will keep my mouth shut, but paybacks can be a beatch.

Anyway, surprised at Hendricks outing.  Dude is a gamer.  Hope he is alright physically.

P.S.  Puig who?  LOL

12 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Who is this Aquino dude?! Guys unreal. 

Couldn't believe Hendricks kept pitching him inner half. Maples too. Hopefully Lester bounces back today vs Castillo. Lester has had 2 really, really shaky starts in a row. Wrong ballpark and wrong team to face when shaky. We'll see what happens. Each time Cubs get 11 games above .500 this year it's like they touched kryptonite and suck for a few days.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Couldn't believe Hendricks kept pitching him inner half. Maples too. Hopefully Lester bounces back today vs Castillo. Lester has had 2 really, really shaky starts in a row. Wrong ballpark and wrong team to face when shaky. We'll see what happens. Each time Cubs get 11 games above .500 this year it's like they touched kryptonite and suck for a few days.

I watched the entire game last night.  Kyle just didn't have his good stuff.  He will bounce back.  But give the Redlegs credit, they are a decent team when everything is clicking.  That being said,  Almora added fuel to the fire...I am sorry, he is a poor defender.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I watched the entire game last night.  Kyle just didn't have his good stuff.  He will bounce back.  But give the Redlegs credit, they are a decent team when everything is clicking.  That being said,  Almora added fuel to the fire...I am sorry, he is a poor defender.

I didn't get to see any of the game. Was following on phone. I literally checked and it was 1-0. Went and grabbed a beer at the wedding I was at looked down again and it was 7-0. Not sure how long that was in real time but felt like a blink of an eye. Reds certainly treat the games vs Cubs with a bit more juice. I think Sonny said as much afterwards. Good thing for Aquino is that Maddon isn't the type of guy (unlike Hurdle) who would order up and in.

18 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

FWIW..... Yankees lost last night to the Jays. Gardner got tossed for not saying or doing anything. Cameron Maybin was the guilty one and it was a clear case of a rookie ump having "rabbit ears".....

Saw that one. Some of these umps must have gone to the Angel Hernandez school of calling a game. We should never know umpires names is the way I feel. Much like officials in hoops or refs in football. 

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Now that is one strange stat...

Enemy of greatness is being good. That's what I feel like with these Cubs. Good yes. Great... no way. We see it in all sports. Many, many good players or teams...but very few great ones. Oh well. I can save the rest of my diatribe on what to fix in the off season. Right now we have 45 games to go and hopefully we just get hot. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Enemy of greatness is being good. That's what I feel like with these Cubs. Good yes. Great... no way. We see it in all sports. Many, many good players or teams...but very few great ones. Oh well. I can save the rest of my diatribe on what to fix in the off season. Right now we have 45 games to go and hopefully we just get hot. 

My gut tells me they are one player away from being great...they need a Joe Morgan trade.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

My gut tells me they are one player away from being great...they need a Joe Morgan trade.

I don't know anymore. All Star level players in Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras (when healthy) and former All Star in Heyward along with hitter like Castellanos....that's 6 pretty good players that should be enough. Not to mention our starting pitching. We have enough or should have enough but after World Series in 16 how long do we keep running by most parts the same guys out there? Theo traded Boston legends in Manny and Nomar so he's not afraid to pull a big one. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know anymore. All Star level players in Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Contreras (when healthy) and former All Star in Heyward along with hitter like Castellanos....that's 6 pretty good players that should be enough. Not to mention our starting pitching. We have enough or should have enough but after World Series in 16 how long do we keep running by most parts the same guys out there? Theo traded Boston legends in Manny and Nomar so he's not afraid to pull a big one. 

I don't trade Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, or Contreras.  I try to re-up Castellanos.  I also hang on to Schwarber.  That being said the Cubs have big bargaining chips with the likes of Almora, Bote, Happ, and even Heyward.  The question is who do they go after?  

47 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't trade Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, or Contreras.  I try to re-up Castellanos.  I also hang on to Schwarber.  That being said the Cubs have big bargaining chips with the likes of Almora, Bote, Happ, and even Heyward.  The question is who do they go after?  

No clue right now. These will be mid October talks. I don't like the term rebuild but maybe a slight tweak where we take a small step back next year to put us in a position to have title success again in 21 and beyond.

34 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue right now. These will be mid October talks. I don't like the term rebuild but maybe a slight tweak where we take a small step back next year to put us in a position to have title success again in 21 and beyond.

I don't see it that way.  The Cubs are vying for the play-offs yet again this year in what I feel is the toughest division in baseball top to bottom.  Get in and see what happens.  But I will say this much...they need a couple of guys that hate losing.  Right now I don't know if they got anybody like that.

I'll say it right now, if the Cubs don't at least make the World Series, I think Maddon loses his job.

We don't need an overhaul. I'd say Rizzo, Baez, Bryant, and Contreras are all top 5 guys at their position. Our starting pitching is getting a little long in the tooth, but I think can still be productive for a few more years. 

Like I said, I'm old school. I don't believe in this jack of all trades, master of none approach Maddon takes with position players. I truly believe everyone is better off when they know what position they're playing, and where they hitting in the line-up.

I'll tell you something else that's been bugging me. The other day when the Cubs were behind 12-5 and we had a position player pitching, I was pissed. Although the odds of overcoming a 7 run deficit aren't high, Maddon simply threw in the towel. What's the cutoff, Joe? 7 runs? 5? If he doesn't give a crap in the late innings when they're behind, how can the team he is leading supposed to? I saw the Mets claw their way to a 7-6 win Friday when they were down 5-2 going into the 9th. I know 3 isn't as much as 7, but like I said about Showon Dunston, he's my favorite Cub because he never "threw in the towel."

As much as I despise the Mets and pray to the Baseball Gods that this isn't an every 50 year repeat if the "Miracles" you have to admire the way they've been playing.

That's the way the Cubs played in 2016. Never out if it. Not when they were down 3-1 in games in the WS. Not when they frittered away the lead in game 7. Never out of it.

I wish we still had that...

Somebody get this soapbox out from under me...

4 hours ago, rico said:

Sounds like the Yankees dilemma.....

Terrible loss by the Reds today being up 3-0 and with Castillo on the mound.  Yet once again our over used bullpen can't hold the lead.  Should have kept in Castillo to pitch to Castiallno since he had already struck him out twice and only gave up a bloop single in the other at bat.  Once again Bell goes to the bullpen instead of letting our starter try to get through a jam.  The last batter Castillo went against was Hayward and he got a little infield hit so it was not like they were blasting away at him.

Archived