2019 MLB Discussion

rico

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Terrible loss by the Reds today being up 3-0 and with Castillo on the mound.  Yet once again our over used bullpen can't hold the lead.  Should have kept in Castillo to pitch to Castiallno since he had already struck him out twice and only gave up a bloop single in the other at bat.  Once again Bell goes to the bullpen instead of letting our starter try to get through a jam.  The last batter Castillo went against was Hayward and he got a little infield hit so it was not like they were blasting away at him.

These are the one's that sting. Had ace going and pen just doesn't do their jobs. We lead the league I believe in blown saves but you guys have to be right there. Demoralizing is the word that comes to mind. Guess it's a 9 inning game for a reason.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

These are the one's that sting. Had ace going and pen just doesn't do their jobs. We lead the league I believe in blown saves but you guys have to be right there. Demoralizing is the word that comes to mind. Guess it's a 9 inning game for a reason.

Actually the Reds bullpen was still ranked 7th in the NL but at one time it was top 5 in the MLB.  Since the break it has been terrible and I blame it on how Bell handled the pitching staff early on because he would take out the starts after 5 inning a lot of the time.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Actually the Reds bullpen was still ranked 7th in the NL but at one time it was top 5 in the MLB.  Since the break it has been terrible and I blame it on how Bell handled the pitching staff early on because he would take out the starts after 5 inning a lot of the time.

Bullpen has plenty of debate. Not even sure what to think right now with our injuries. We have 4 rookies in our pen headed into playoff chase. Doesn't feel real good.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Bullpen has plenty of debate. Not even sure what to think right now with our injuries. We have 4 rookies in our pen headed into playoff chase. Doesn't feel real good.

That is what was concerning to me as a Reds fan was that we did not score that much off of your bullpen who is not that good right now.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cubs fan, Reds fan...doesn't matter.  Just keep the other team to 4 runs or less and the odds say you got a good chance to win the ball game.  Today, as Scott alluded to and has repeatedly, Bell made another bad decision.  Sad part about it is, he is a metrics guy.  Damn, he knows what the spread sheet says.  Piss poor managing.  All I got.

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

NL Relief Pitching stats...Just for discussion...

Screenshot_20190812-073802_Chrome.jpg

Also saw stats how relievers ERA has been going up over the last 5 years and this year is the first year in a long time where starters ERA is lower than relievers.  Whoever put this out was saying the usage of relievers and how they are being used is what is causing the ERA to go way up the last few years.

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Terrible loss by the Reds today being up 3-0 and with Castillo on the mound.  Yet once again our over used bullpen can't hold the lead.  Should have kept in Castillo to pitch to Castiallno since he had already struck him out twice and only gave up a bloop single in the other at bat.  Once again Bell goes to the bullpen instead of letting our starter try to get through a jam.  The last batter Castillo went against was Hayward and he got a little infield hit so it was not like they were blasting away at him.

At least the Reds bullpen wasn"t as bad as the Braves. They have 7 runs over the last 3 innings and lost to the Marlins. 

Meanwhile, the Yankees bats went on hiatus. But Tanaka pitched really well in a 1-0 shutout.

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

NL Relief Pitching stats...Just for discussion...

Screenshot_20190812-073802_Chrome.jpg

Now that's interesting. 4 playoff bound teams (if started today) in the Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, and Nationals all are below average in save % and have the most blown saves. Trying to figure out what those numbers are really telling us. Thanks for posting these numbers.

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Now that's interesting. 4 playoff bound teams (if started today) in the Cubs, Dodgers, Braves, and Nationals all are below average in save % and have the most blown saves. Trying to figure out what those numbers are really telling us. Thanks for posting these numbers.

Sure...This is the kind of stuff that, as a fan, I love talking about...

Although deep in my heart it boils down to, as my first little league coach told me, "Round ball, round bat, but you gotta hit it square." 

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Sure...This is the kind of stuff that, as a fan, I love talking about...

Although deep in my heart it boils down to, as my first little league coach told me, "Round ball, round bat, but you gotta hit it square." 

I'd love to know the records of the teams when bullpen blows a save because the Dodgers have had like 15 walk off wins this year. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds have claimed Freddy Galvis SS from the Blue Jays.  He is hitting .268 with 18 HR and 54 RBI and is a very good defensive player.  I would guess either him or Inglesias will be moved to 2B.

Iglesias is an elite fielding SS.  He's not moving to 2nd.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where former Cubs POF Soler was named player of the week and has hit 35 HR this year.  Wondering what the Cubs fans think of trading him to KC a few years ago.

Another trade young talent for a closer (Wade Davis) that walks at the end of the season deal.

You have to give something to get something. 

But in full 20/20 hindsight I wish our something's would have been Russell and Almora.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Another trade young talent for a closer (Wade Davis) that walks at the end of the season deal.

You have to give something to get something. 

But in full 20/20 hindsight I wish our something's would have been Russell and Almora.

Some of those trades the Cubs have made, always make me think "what if" they wouldn't have made them.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Some of those trades the Cubs have made, always make me think "what if" they wouldn't have made them.

You never know, but I think the Chapman trade was necessary for the Cubs to win the Series in 16. 

And they needed a closer in 17 too...big price to pay, but that's MLB these days.

Just now, rico said:

He is also injured at the moment...and he is a FA at year's end.  I do believe Galvis is under team control next year?

there is a team option for Galvis or a 1.5 million buyout.  Also I heard Inglesias is in the lineup for tonight's game.  Also I find it a little funny that the 2019 NBA schedule comes out the same day as the 2020 MLB schedule.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

He is also injured at the moment...and he is a FA at year's end.  I do believe Galvis is under team control next year?

Understand.  Was not questioning the signing of Galvis.  Simply stating that Iglesias was not going to switch positions because of it.  

Short term move will likely be to send O'Grady or VanMeter down.  Whoever does go will be back up when the rosters expand.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

there is a team option for Galvis or a 1.5 million buyout.  Also I heard Inglesias is in the lineup for tonight's game.  Also I find it a little funny that the 2019 NBA schedule comes out the same day as the 2020 MLB schedule.

LOL.  Did not realize the NBA schedule came out.  I literally thought to myself how absurd it was to have a 2020 MLB schedule before a 2019 NBA one.

Archived