2019 MLB Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Strange for sure. Found this link....Kershaw mentioned and this was a 2016 article. 2 others that stood out to me was Maddux going 11-14 and Doc Gooden never winning one playoff game as a pitcher in 12 games/9 starts. He was 0-4.

You beat me to it concerning Maddux, did not know that concerning Doc.  Play-off pressure?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rico said:

You beat me to it concerning Maddux, did not know that concerning Doc.  Play-off pressure?

As far as Maddux goes, I've always thought power pitchers were better in the post season than the finesse guys. Look at Smoltz stats as opposed to Maddux and Glavine.

As for Doc, his problems were more personal in nature than in ability.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Gabe Kapler out in Philly. Maybe Theo knew what he was talking about when he said a bidding war could happen for Maddon. Angels are obviously very interested. Tenuous situation in Dodgerville....and now Phillies job is open. Maybe a return to the home state would interest Joe?

I'm a little surprised they waited this long. 

Looking at the Angels and Phillies rosters, a lot of similarities in makeup. 

I honestly think the Mets would be the best fit for his management style.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It can work, and in certain situations, I agree with it.

But did you think Maddon pulling Hendricks after 4 2/3 iniings was a smart thing to do? It was so obvious that he was trying to get Lester a game 7 win, but it almost blew up in his face. I know Hendricks has always said the right things about getting pulled, but if I had gotten pulled with a 3 run lead after 4 2/3rds and 63 pitches, I'd have been pissed. And I'm sure he was. Just too classy to throw Joe under the bus.

And I don't dislike Maddon...I just think he was kind of victim of his own success. He was not good for the Cubs the last 2 years. 

That said, yeah, I was happy to see him go...

I agree that the decision was a mistake especially bringing him with someone on base as he had trouble holding baserunners on.  However,  I don't think Maddon brought Lester just to get him a game 7 win, but because he thought he was the best alternative.  That happens frequently in elimination of game 7's.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm a little surprised they waited this long. 

Looking at the Angels and Phillies rosters, a lot of similarities in makeup. 

I honestly think the Mets would be the best fit for his management style.

Given the history Angels make the most sense. Philly would be close to home....but Padres feel more like the Cubs in 2015. Although once you have taste of big market I'm not sure San Diego would suit. 

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

I agree that the decision was a mistake especially bringing him with someone on base as he had trouble holding baserunners on.  However,  I don't think Maddon brought Lester just to get him a game 7 win, but because he thought he was the best alternative.  That happens frequently in elimination of game 7's.

It was just awfully suspicious to me...one more out to qualify for the win, and the starter gets pulled?

I couldn't think of any other reason to give Hendricks the hook...

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was just awfully suspicious to me...one more out to qualify for the win, and the starter gets pulled?

I couldn't think of any other reason to give Hendricks the hook...

I agree, but in any case the Cubs still won.

Roberts' Dodgers didn't fare so well.

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

From the vault of "It Means Absolutely Nothing" if the Astros win tonight, the 2 AL teams left had 210 regular season wins. The 2 remaining NL teams had 184. 

I wonder if the discrepancy has ever been that wide...

And right on cue, the Astros win...

1 hour ago, rico said:

And right on cue, the Astros win...

And Gerritt Cole is going to be a very rich man soon...

I'm thinking it'll be an Astros-Nats World Series...My wife (who is a Cardinals fan) wants Cards-Astros "so we can go!"

If we do, I'm wearing Cubs gear...

59 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And Gerritt Cole is going to be a very rich man soon...

I'm thinking it'll be an Astros-Nats World Series...My wife (who is a Cardinals fan) wants Cards-Astros "so we can go!"

If we do, I'm wearing Cubs gear...

Either the Nats or Astros better be in it. Preferably both.  I'm not watching a Cards/Yankees series.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My apologies to the Cincy brothers on here. After Nats win....the Reds and Bengals own the longest playoff losing streaks in both sports. 1995 for Reds and 1990 for Bengals I believe. Double ouch for the Queen City. 

I had high hopes for that '95 Reds team...not to be.  As far as the Nats/Expos...that '81 team was dang fine.  Still remember Rick Monday.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My apologies to the Cincy brothers on here. After Nats win....the Reds and Bengals own the longest playoff losing streaks in both sports. 1995 for Reds and 1990 for Bengals I believe. Double ouch for the Queen City. 

I don't care about the Bengals so to me they could go 0-16 and wouldn't care.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah.  But the NHL & NBA teams never lose.  

44 minutes ago, rico said:

I had high hopes for that '95 Reds team...not to be.  As far as the Nats/Expos...that '81 team was dang fine.  Still remember Rick Monday.

The 94 Expos had the best record in baseball (74-40) when they shut the season down over the players strike. 

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The 94 Expos had the best record in baseball (74-40) when they shut the season down over the players strike. 

The 81 Reds had the best record in the NL yet did not make the playoffs.  it had a strike in the middle of the season so the first half division winner and the second half winner made the playoffs.  Even though the Reds had the overall best record they did not win either half so no playoffs.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The 81 Reds had the best record in the NL yet did not make the playoffs.  it had a strike in the middle of the season so the first half division winner and the second half winner made the playoffs.  Even though the Reds had the overall best record they did not win either half so no playoffs.

Actually the '81 Reds had the best record in all of baseball.

Archived