2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, rico said:

No dog in the fight, but that was a bad piece of managing by Roberts.

And to me yet another case of a manager trying to appease a veteran star (Kershaw) by having him in a showcase situation. Maddon did it with Lester in game 7 of the 2016 World Series and it almost cost the Cubs.

Gotta put the team first...

6 minutes ago, rico said:

All day long. Roberts has some serious questions this off season to answer. Cool for Joe Maddon protege Martinez gets the Nats from 14 under to 1 series away from World Series.

Braves just went Braves. They've thrown away more series than any team I can ever remember. Probably won't watch much if any but Nats/Cards probably isn't what most thought back in May. 

30 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And to me yet another case of a manager trying to appease a veteran star (Kershaw) by having him in a showcase situation. Maddon did it with Lester in game 7 of the 2016 World Series and it almost cost the Cubs.

Gotta put the team first...

But it worked with Scherzer in game 2 5 days ago when Martinez brought him in the 8th....when he knew he was game 3 starter. I know you don't like Maddon but not everything is his fault. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

But it worked with Scherzer in game 2 5 days ago when Martinez brought him in the 8th....when he knew he was game 3 starter. I know you don't like Maddon but not everything is his fault. 

It can work, and in certain situations, I agree with it.

But did you think Maddon pulling Hendricks after 4 2/3 iniings was a smart thing to do? It was so obvious that he was trying to get Lester a game 7 win, but it almost blew up in his face. I know Hendricks has always said the right things about getting pulled, but if I had gotten pulled with a 3 run lead after 4 2/3rds and 63 pitches, I'd have been pissed. And I'm sure he was. Just too classy to throw Joe under the bus.

And I don't dislike Maddon...I just think he was kind of victim of his own success. He was not good for the Cubs the last 2 years. 

That said, yeah, I was happy to see him go...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It can work, and in certain situations, I agree with it.

But did you think Maddon pulling Hendricks after 4 2/3 iniings was a smart thing to do? It was so obvious that he was trying to get Lester a game 7 win, but it almost blew up in his face. I know Hendricks has always said the right things about getting pulled, but if I had gotten pulled with a 3 run lead after 4 2/3rds and 63 pitches, I'd have been pissed. And I'm sure he was. Just too classy to throw Joe under the bus.

And I don't dislike Maddon...I just think he was kind of victim of his own success. He was not good for the Cubs the last 2 years. 

That said, yeah, I was happy to see him go...

Hard to disagree with anything you said. We'll probably never know the absolute reasons for that move other than what was said. Time will tell if moving on from Maddon was a smart move. I agree something had to change. Only time will tell if this was a good move by Theo. Most of my angst though is on the players. They've under performed for the past 2 years. I put the onus more on them. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

since I did not stay up to watch di they take Bueller out after 6 innings of shutout ball.  If they did I was wondering why,  because  it is game 5 and should not care about pitch counts at the stage.

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hard to disagree with anything you said. We'll probably never know the absolute reasons for that move other than what was said. Time will tell if moving on from Maddon was a smart move. I agree something had to change. Only time will tell if this was a good move by Theo. Most of my angst though is on the players. They've under performed for the past 2 years. I put the onus more on them. 

I've been in management positions pretty much my entire adult life. Complacency is just as dangerous to any team as bad chemistry. And sometimes harder to fix.

Maddon's kid gloves approach worked when the Cubs were a younger team. But when complacency rears its head, there has to be an accountability check in no uncertain terms, and I'm not sure that's Joe's strong suit. Plus losing leaders like Ross, Fowler, and Zobrist didn't help.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a thought but is Dave Roberts job safe? Lose NLCS, Lose back to back World Series, Lose NLDS.....heck of a 4 year run but what to do? 

Yes...if the Dodgers don't make the playoffs next year, I think his seat gets hot.

Magic Johnson is not one to tolerate mediocrity.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yes...if the Dodgers don't make the playoffs next year, I think his seat gets hot.

Magic Johnson is not one to tolerate mediocrity.

I actually don't think he makes it to next year.  4 years of missing the goal. Winning a weak division doesn't do much plus every decision in playoffs gets magnified. Maybe the ceiling has been reached? 

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

since I did not stay up to watch di they take Bueller out after 6 innings of shutout ball.  If they did I was wondering why,  because  it is game 5 and should not care about pitch counts at the stage.

They took Walker out after 6 2/3 of 1 run ball and in a two-out jam.  His pitch count was at 117.  No problem with jerking him on my end.  The problem was bringing in Kershaw who does not fare well in the play-offs and is a starter to boot.  

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I actually don't think he makes it to next year.  4 years of missing the goal. Winning a weak division doesn't do much plus every decision in playoffs gets magnified. Maybe the ceiling has been reached? 

I am with you, I think he is gone.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

They took Walker out after 6 2/3 of 1 run ball and in a two-out jam.  His pitch count was at 117.  No problem with jerking him on my end.  The problem was bringing in Kershaw who does not fare well in the play-offs and is a starter to boot.  

thanks, because when I went to bed it was in the 6th and he had 89 pitches so if they had just taken him out after the 6th I would have been upset.  I have seen other managers bring in their best starters in relief in deciding games.  I remember Randy Johnson coming in relief and Madison Bumgardner coming into game 7 of the world series.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

thanks, because when I went to bed it was in the 6th and he had 89 pitches so if they had just taken him out after the 6th I would have been upset.  I have seen other managers bring in their best starters in relief in deciding games.  I remember Randy Johnson coming in relief and Madison Bumgardner coming into game 7 of the world series.

Kershaw's career post-season ERA is more than double what his regular season career ERA is.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Kershaw's career post-season ERA is more than double what his regular season career ERA is.  

Strange for sure. Found this link....Kershaw mentioned and this was a 2016 article. 2 others that stood out to me was Maddux going 11-14 and Doc Gooden never winning one playoff game as a pitcher in 12 games/9 starts. He was 0-4.

Archived