2019 MLB Discussion

rico

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd agree with that. The only resume that stacks up to Maddon's that they've interviewed so far is Girardi's. The difference is in their respective philosophies. 

I think it's interesting that Theo is determined to see the interview process through. You would think if anyone had blown him away, the announcement would have already been made.

Theo mentioned early on it was going to be a lengthy process. I keep hearing all signs point back to Ross. With that said.....Kapler might be hired by Giants real soon but Theo has always liked him since his playing days at Boston. It was neck and neck for Kapler and Roberts for Dodgers role. Espada is pretty well regarded around the league. Stints with Yankees and obviously something is working in Houston. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Cards have run into a similar momentum train that the Cubs ran into in 2015 vs Mets in NLCS. 

Cards were a bad offensive team all season but had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. That has proven true this series. Starting pitching has been really good but can’t hit. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Honest question if Kapler is so highly regarded, why did Philly move on so quickly?  Do they think they can get Maddon or just a front office conflict?

To quote one Philly writer...."mountains of dysfunction within organization"....Kapler made some mistakes no doubt but having only 1 starting pitcher isn't going to win in baseball let alone that division. 

This column about Kapler concerns me

"One of Kapler’s most egregious errors as manager was the way he handled players when they failed to hustle. He insisted that he dealt with each incident on a case-by-case basis, but his lack of consistency was bound to cause confusion in the clubhouse.

Sure enough, it did when the manager benched Cesar Hernandez in late August, the day after he failed to run on a ball that hit off the wall in a game against Miami down at Marlins Park. Kapler said he made it clear to Hernandez that he was being benched in a text message. Hernandez said he thought he was just getting a day off. Kapler later said he did not want to call Hernandez’s benching a punishment. Instead, he referred to it as “a response” to Hernandez’s actions in Miami."

By text message?!?! Are you kidding me?

And trying to portray it as something other than punishment is bull crap too...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Well, we'll see. I think the Cubs needed a change. 

On a different note, I wonder how people who were condemning the Nats front office a few years back for shutting Strasburg down during the playoffs in 2012 feel now?

why would it change now because I would have still be pissed off about that.  what is funny is that shutting him down did not prevent him from having arm problems later on.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

why would it change now because I would have still be pissed off about that.  what is funny is that shutting him down did not prevent him from having arm problems later on.

Maybe because the Nats are on the cusp of their first World Series appearance and Strasburg is healthy and a huge part of that?

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well they could have won one in 2012 and you never pass that up and Strasburg still got injured so how did that help at all.

The limited innings in 2012 was made on the advice of the Dr that performed the operation. I know, Scott, you are a "win at all costs" kinda guy, but I think they made the right move.

And being on the DL for arm soreness and damaging his arm so badly he needs another TJ surgery are 2 different things.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The limited innings in 2012 was made on the advice of the Dr that performed the operation. I know, Scott, you are a "win at all costs" kinda guy, but I think they made the right move.

And being on the DL for arm soreness and damaging his arm so badly he needs another TJ surgery are 2 different things.

I guess we won't ever agree on this topic because to me this is a soft and losers mentality kind of thinking.  You have a chance to win a championship then you take that chance because you never know if it will ever come around again.  Just ask Dan Marino who thought he would get back tot he Super Bowl when he went after his second year but never got back.  Should the Colts had set Peyton out of the playoffs in 99 because he was jus tin his second year in the NFL so they could get to the Super Bowl later.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we won't ever agree on this topic because to me this is a soft and losers mentality kind of thinking.  You have a chance to win a championship then you take that chance because you never know if it will ever come around again.  Just ask Dan Marino who thought he would get back tot he Super Bowl when he went after his second year but never got back.  Should the Colts had set Peyton out of the playoffs in 99 because he was jus tin his second year in the NFL so they could get to the Super Bowl later.

What does football have to do with baseball?

11 minutes ago, rico said:

What does football have to do with baseball?

Just the mentality of sitting players to protect them instead of winning a championship.  To me this is the culture we live in where it is to soft and to me it is a losers mentality.  Ok let's go to baseball would you  wanted the Reds to sit Jose Rio in 90 to protect him or do you take the championship.  Yes later on he had an injury but there is no proof it is because how much he pitched in the playoffs so I say go for it while you can.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just the mentality of sitting players to protect them instead of winning a championship.  To me this is the culture we live in where it is to soft and to me it is a losers mentality.  Ok let's go to baseball would you  wanted the Reds to sit Jose Rio in 90 to protect him or do you take the championship.  Yes later on he had an injury but there is no proof it is because how much he pitched in the playoffs so I say go for it while you can.

Well, I have never heard of NFL QB's being on a pass count.  LOL

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, I have never heard of NFL QB's being on a pass count.  LOL

Just like I don't think pitchers should be on a pitch count.  Until 20 years ago I had no idea how many pitches a pitcher has thrown in a game.  I would love to see how many pitches some of these guys threw in complete games.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just like I don't think pitchers should be on a pitch count.  Until 20 years ago I had no idea how many pitches a pitcher has thrown in a game.  I would love to see how many pitches some of these guys threw in complete games.

I would disagree on that.  Everything changed in '80 or '81 when Billy Martin ruined the A's starting staff.  IP were scrutinized from that point on.  It has morphed into the pitch count.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I would disagree on that.  Everything changed in '80 or '81 when Billy Martin ruined the A's starting staff.  IP were scrutinized from that point on.  It has morphed into the pitch count.

to me if the athletes of today are bigger and stronger today they should be able to do more than the old big fat guys of the past.  Nolan Ryan never had any serious arm problems and he  threw 227 pitches in a 12 inning complete game.  In 1920 both starting pitchers pitched 26 inning complete game throwing over 325 pitches,  To me the problem with pitching today is that they want everyone to throw 100 mph's and don't tech them to pitch.  When you are throwing that hard you increase your chance of elbow injuries and it will lead to babying the pitchers.  Also they need to teach the pitchers to be more pitch efficient and make them realize that you don't have to strikeout every batter to be a good pitcher.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

to me if the athletes of today are bigger and stronger today they should be able to do more than the old big fat guys of the past.  Nolan Ryan never had any serious arm problems and he  threw 227 pitches in a 12 inning complete game.  In 1920 both starting pitchers pitched 26 inning complete game throwing over 325 pitches,  To me the problem with pitching today is that they want everyone to throw 100 mph's and don't tech them to pitch.  When you are throwing that hard you increase your chance of elbow injuries and it will lead to babying the pitchers.  Also they need to teach the pitchers to be more pitch efficient and make them realize that you don't have to strikeout every batter to be a good pitcher.

First off, Nolan Ryan was a freak of nature.  Secondly if we are going back to 1920 the organizations didn't give a damn about their players because they were making peanuts.  In today's game, players are an investment.  The organizations are concerned about a player's well being, especially SPs.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

First off, Nolan Ryan was a freak of nature.  Secondly if we are going back to 1920 the organizations didn't give a damn about their players because they were making peanuts.  In today's game, players are an investment.  The organizations are concerned about a player's well being, especially SPs.

I was gonna say something similar (including Freak of Nature)...7 no hitters? Almost 1,000 more strikeouts than the #2 guy (Randy Johnson) on the list? Unreal...can't go by him...

I really do understand some of Scott's point about teaching kids to pitch and efficiency, but, for better or worse it's become a power vs power game, and it's not changing anytime soon.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know why they care about starters when they usually only go 5 innings.

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Ask the Astros why and the Nationals also. Top 2 staffs in the game and heading toward a possible World series collision. 

Starting pitching is the key,  end of story 

I totally agree but most managers limit their starters to around 6 innings a games  Even in the playoff when their starters are going great they have taken them out after 7 which is ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, rico said:

A couple of more games I saw where pitchers pitched well over 160 pitches

1963 bot starters Spahn and Marishal both completed the 16 inning game where Marichal pitched 227 pitches

93 Wakefield which was a knuckle ball pitchers pitched 10+ innings throwing 172 pitches

75 world Series Tiant threw 163 pitches.

Archived