2019 MLB Discussion

rico

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, it wasn't a 10 spot like the Cards slapped on the Braves, but 7-0 in the first is looking mighty gloomy for the Redbirds...

Honestly it still ticks me off the Cardinals even are playing. Getting Bad News Beared by the Nationals is a reminder of how embarrassed the Cubs players should be. What a joke. PS.....the more I find out...I want Espada as our guy. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Honestly it still ticks me off the Cardinals even are playing. Getting Bad News Beared by the Nationals is a reminder of how embarrassed the Cubs players should be. What a joke. PS.....the more I find out...I want Espada as our guy. 

Hey we still knocked off a 97-win team in the playoffs. This series has sucked but our offense has been garbage all year. Pitching kept us in it. 

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Hey we still knocked off a 97-win team in the playoffs. This series has sucked but our offense has been garbage all year. Pitching kept us in it. 

Every fan is different. Nothing personal....but that's like saying the Sweet 16 is the goal. Different strokes is all. If I were a Cardinals fan I'd be embarrassed. Time will tell but my guess is Cardinals sink back into the Brewers mold after winning the Central. Won't take the step forward.

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

the more I find out...I want Espada as our guy. 

I'm interested why you want  Espada to be the guy...

I think he's a solid candidate. Checks all the boxes save one, previous big league managerial experience. AJ Hinch, who I think is a really good manager speaks very highly of him. But Theo would be taking a chance with him.

I know Ross is the supposed front runner, but as I said, how will he handle going from peer to boss? That's a tough transition that can get messy fast if Ross isn't careful.

And after reading a bit about Kapler, no thanks...

If it was up to me, based on the limited knowledge I have of each candidate, I'd go with Girardi. Proven commodity. Smart. Experienced. Managed in a big market. Has a Cubs background. And to be honest, I think this is the job he's always wanted.

Like I said, not against hiring Espada, just respect your opinions and wondered why you're so high on him.

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm interested why you want  Espada to be the guy...

I think he's a solid candidate. Checks all the boxes save one, previous big league managerial experience. AJ Hinch, who I think is a really good manager speaks very highly of him. But Theo would be taking a chance with him.

I know Ross is the supposed front runner, but as I said, how will he handle going from peer to boss? That's a tough transition that can get messy fast if Ross isn't careful.

And after reading a bit about Kapler, no thanks...

If it was up to me, based on the limited knowledge I have of each candidate, I'd go with Girardi. Proven commodity. Smart. Experienced. Managed in a big market. Has a Cubs background. And to be honest, I think this is the job he's always wanted.

Like I said, not against hiring Espada, just respect your opinions and wondered why you're so high on him.

Honestly he seems like a good blend of someone who understands the front office stuff (time with Cashman) along with his bench coach time in Houston recently. I think he's a better fit for the youth culture we still possess. To me he's a good blend of analytics/front office type....as well as being able to relate to our still very young roster.

I can't put my finger on it but if we chose Ross I'd be fine with it but to me that's pretty much what we had before. Girardi might be a bit far to the other side. Very strict, discipline,etc....and maybe that's what this clubhouse needs. Less friendly more in your face. I'm still all over the place. It's not like last time when we hired a coach. I knew Maddon was the guy. This time around there are 4-5 things to consider and none of the candidates check all the boxes.

I'm surprised Theo hasn't requested permission to speak with Francona. Theo has always liked him.

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I'm happy for Dave Martinez.  Always liked him as a player.

Me too. I remember when he was a rookie with the Cubs. Geez, I feel old.

My counterpart in Jacksonville said his sons played baseball with Howie Kendrick growing up, so that's enough if a connection for me. Congrats to Howie on being NLCS MVP.

And here's to the old Expos...Coco Laboy, La Grand Orange, Bill Stoneman (2 no hitters, including the first in Canada), Claude Raymond, Tim Raines, Razor Shines, and The Hawk...

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Girardi might be a bit far to the other side. Very strict, discipline,etc....and maybe that's what this clubhouse needs. Less friendly more in your face. 

I think that's what this teams needs...

Of course, I could be wrong and they'd have a clubhouse mutiny in May upon which I would disavow this post...

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Me too. I remember when he was a rookie with the Cubs. Geez, I feel old.

My counterpart in Jacksonville said his sons played baseball with Howie Kendrick growing up, so that's enough if a connection for me. Congrats to Howie on being NLCS MVP.

And here's to the old Expos...Coco Laboy, La Grand Orange, Bill Stoneman (2 no hitters, including the first in Canada), Claude Raymond, Tim Raines, Razor Shines, and The Hawk...

Now there are some names to bring back some good memories.  The Hawk is my wife's all time favorite.  Although when we go to Cubs games she wears a shirt that she made that says if lost return to Kris Bryant 

Completely off topic my wife was joking 1 day when we were in Chicago and said that if she were to hook up with Kris Bryant I couldn't get mad and said in return I could pick someone to make up for it and wanted to know what her name would be. Being the smart a$$ that i am, there just happened to be a very hot young lady about 5 feet away and I told my wife to hold on and went over and asked the young lady her name. My wife did not think that was a funny joke.  Apparently turn about is not fair play

12 hours ago, rico said:

Scott, give it up.  You just want to argue and you like that.  Love ya...but you are wrong.  You say you are "old school", keep in mind I am older than you.  I brought up Billyball...you side stepped that one.  How about "Iron Mike", he was ran into the ground.  Hell Cubs fans would tell you that Dusty ran Prior and Wood into the ground.  How about Sullivan for the Reds?  Maybe Mario Soto?  Me thinks you are barking up the wrong tree.

Why should I give up on something I believe in.  I know it won't change but if I feel like it is not good for the game I will stand of for my beliefs.  You can bring up situations like Oakland and I am sure I can find many pitchers who went through their entire careers throwing a lot of pitches and innings that did not get hurt.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Now there are some names to bring back some good memories.  The Hawk is my wife's all time favorite.  Although when we go to Cubs games she wears a shirt that she made that says if lost return to Kris Bryant 

Completely off topic my wife was joking 1 day when we were in Chicago and said that if she were to hook up with Kris Bryant I couldn't get mad and said in return I could pick someone to make up for it and wanted to know what her name would be. Being the smart a$$ that i am, there just happened to be a very hot young lady about 5 feet away and I told my wife to hold on and went over and asked the young lady her name. My wife did not think that was a funny joke.  Apparently turn about is not fair play

Marla Collins! Remember her? 

Screenshot_20191016-073542_Chrome.jpg

Archived