2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On JMV last night Tommy John was on there and JMV asked him what he thought of baseball today and he said he no longer is interested in watching the product he sees on the field today.  He said he has not watched a game or even the world series for a few years.  He hates how they handle pitchers today and all the pitching changes that go along today.  He said managers in his day would keep the pitcher in until he could go no longer and let the batters let them know hen the pitcher needed to be taken out.  Tommy said that after his surgery he went 7 innings in his 3rd start in spring training that year but today they don't let pitchers pitch any longer.  he laughed at the notion of a pitch count or any of that for major league pitchers and think it does more harm than good.  He said that kids today needs to learn to pitch and not just go out and try to throw as hard as they can.

1 hour ago, rico said:

So they call Russell up.  Play him pretty much everyday and then send him back down?

I think Joe just lined em up in the San Francisco visitors locker room and said, "Men, everyone who's not going to Iowa today, take one step forward. Not so fast, Russell." 

Rizzo gets tossed. Bryant leaves game with injury. Only reason Chatwood wasn't optioned to AAA with Russell today was because Lester was sick. Anyone who knows Lester he had to be really, really sick not to pitch. Cubs up 4-1 but boy....hope this Bryant thing isn't serious. Just watched video where he was wincing when swinging. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Darn it. Was pulling for you guys today. 

Had 4-2 lead going into the bottom of the 5th but gave up 3 runs to go behind 5-4.  I know you have to give players the day off but it was hard not to see Suarez out there to start the game.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Had 4-2 lead going into the bottom of the 5th but gave up 3 runs to go behind 5-4.  I know you have to give players the day off but it was hard not to see Suarez out there to start the game.

That pissed me off not having Gino in the game today...They got an off day tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

That pissed me off not having Gino in the game today...They got an off day tomorrow.

The dude is absolutely on fire.  Unless he had something going on like raging diarrhea, that is an absolutely stupid move by Bell.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

The dude is absolutely on fire.  Unless he had something going on like raging diarrhea, that is an absolutely stupid move by Bell.  

He was fine I far as I know...and he is a Brewer freaking killer.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just another in long line of stupid moves by this idiot manager.  The only thing saving him was that Suarez replacement Van Meter started the game going 3 for 3 with a Homerun

I don't think Joey Cora ever watched Whitey Herzog manage

In the 80s, Whitey Herzog use to do this all the time with Ken Dayley and Jeff Lahti in late inning left-right-left situations. Normally he'd bring in Dayley, get one out, and the put Dayley in an outfield slot and bring in Lahti for the right handed batter. Then back to Dayley (replacing him with a real outfielder) for the 2nd left hander.

Not a Cardinal fan by any stretch, but Whitey Herzog is one of my favorite managers of all time. I loved it when he did unconventional stuff like that, and I can't ever remember it backfiring.

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In the 80s, Whitey Herzog use to do this all the time with Ken Dayley and Jeff Lahti in late inning left-right-left situations. Normally he'd bring in Dayley, get one out, and the put Dayley in an outfield slot and bring in Lahti for the right handed batter. Then back to Dayley (replacing him with a real outfielder) for the 2nd left hander.

Not a Cardinal fan by any stretch, but Whitey Herzog is one of my favorite managers of all time. I loved it when he did unconventional stuff like that, and I can't ever remember it backfiring.

What is sad about that article is that the umpires were confused as well.

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This is an article showing very rare Maddon move vs Reds years ago...very similar in theory to Rays/Red Sox.... https://www.mlb.com/cut4/three-cubs-pitchers-play-left-field-in-cubs-15-inning-win-over-the-reds/c-186835518

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is an article showing very rare Maddon move vs Reds years ago...very similar in theory to Rays/Red Sox.... https://www.mlb.com/cut4/three-cubs-pitchers-play-left-field-in-cubs-15-inning-win-over-the-reds/c-186835518

20 minutes ago, rico said:

What is sad about that article is that the umpires were confused as well.

Another reason for me to hate the DH rule. Takes a lot of strategy out if the game. Bunting is a lost art. Double switches are rare. Advancing runners is almost unheard of. Chicks dig the long ball.

I know...I'm a baseball crumudgeon.

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Another reason for me to hate the DH rule. Takes a lot of strategy out if the game. Bunting is a lost art. Double switches are rare. Advancing runners is almost unheard of. Chicks dig the long ball.

You left out stolen bases...

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The thing that is going on today that I really hate in baseball is how they use pitchers today.  You are lucky to get 5 or 6 innings from your starters today and it just makes for longer games with all the pitching changes.  It also seems like the pitches per at bat is going way up as well and it is causing the pitch counts to go up as well.  In the 3 game series with the Reds and Brewers there were over 1,000 pitches combined in the series.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing that is going on today that I really hate in baseball is how they use pitchers today.  You are lucky to get 5 or 6 innings from your starters today and it just makes for longer games with all the pitching changes.  It also seems like the pitches per at bat is going way up as well and it is causing the pitch counts to go up as well.  In the 3 game series with the Reds and Brewers there were over 1,000 pitches combined in the series.

I don't like the length of games and wish there were limitations on how many pitchers could be used. With that said. I see no difference in using any and all pitchers/strategy to win a game....the very same way I don't have a problem with a coaches in basketball using timeouts, substitutions, fouls,etc....to win a game in the final minutes. 

Archived