2019 MLB Discussion

rico

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This article doesn't reflect well on Derek Jeter

Although I'm not a Yankee fan, I always thought Jeter was a class guy. Maybe not as an owner...

I did have to laugh at this exchange in the comments section

Screenshot_20190726-122709_Chrome.jpg

I'll take my chances on guys like Jeter every day of the week. Generational leadership and delivered time after time in the hardest market in the country. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll take my chances on guys like Jeter every day of the week. Generational leadership and delivered time after time in the hardest market in the country. 

You need to read the story in the link.  Serious ducking of personal ownership when making personnel decisions after taking over the Marlins.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You need to read the story in the link.  Serious ducking of personal ownership when making personnel decisions after taking over the Marlins.

I read the Herald every day as a Canes fan. I know the talk and stories. Like I said....I'll take my chances with Jeter. 

Just now, 5fouls said:

Do you not agree that he handled things poorly?

Of course he did. That goes without saying. Shoot....find me a successful GM in any sport and they've made some poor choices. Like I said. I'll take my chances with Jeter. He's Brady of baseball in my 2 cent opinion. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Of course he did. That goes without saying. Shoot....find me a successful GM in any sport and they've made some poor choices. Like I said. I'll take my chances with Jeter. He's Brady of baseball in my 2 cent opinion. 

Brady is a GM?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

18th blown save for Cubs. Broken record at this point. One of the guys used the word demoralizing. Can't find a better word to describe this suck fest of a team right now.

Why was Hendricks pulled?

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Why was Hendricks pulled?

Pitch count (for Hendricks standards) was getting up (90). He mentioned in post game interview they had already discussed all scenarios....about him coming off DL, trying not to put extra pitches on arm,  being ready in 5 days vs Cards,etc....with that said the 3 guys he was going to face in 6th had gone 0-5 with 1 walk vs him so I wish we would have gone with him one more inning.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pitch count (for Hendricks standards) was getting up (90). He mentioned in post game interview they had already discussed all scenarios....about him coming off DL, trying not to put extra pitches on arm,  being ready in 5 days vs Cards,etc....with that said the 3 guys he was going to face in 6th had gone 0-5 with 1 walk vs him so I wish we would have gone with him one more inning.

TY, was not aware of that.  Me and the GF quit listening after the 5th.  She said the Cubs were gonna blow it.  And she was right.  

I can't help but wonder if there is gonna be a major shake up in Wrigleyville.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

TY, was not aware of that.  Me and the GF quit listening after the 5th.  She said the Cubs were gonna blow it.  And she was right.  

I can't help but wonder if there is gonna be a major shake up in Wrigleyville.

So many moving parts right now.  Maddon is the best Cubs manager ever. That part isn't debatable. We've never experienced this level of success 15-18 seasons. Right now though something isn't sitting well with any of us. Maddon's message or decisions, why these same core players from World Series Title team continue to under perform....why hasn't Theo and Jed gone out and made moves for bullpen earlier,etc.....plenty of blame to go around. People try to isolate and focus on one thing. It's the manager, it's the GM, it's the players but right now it's all of them.

Only one way out of mess and that's just getting back to work. 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse here, but the Cubs need to make a deal for some substantial bullpen help, and not just a cash deal for a guy who had been pitching poorly for the Giants.

Gotta give something here to get something.

I absolutely agree with the bullpen help.  But I hate trading for relievers.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Shoot. At this point I'd rather see if Zambrano still has some left in the tank. Reports of his heater hitting 97 last week in Independent League. Can't be any worse than the gas we keep sending out there on the daily.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

I do too. You've heard my Monday morning GM rant about Chapman/Torres.

Just saw on the ESPN crawler that Ben Zobrist will attempt to come back this year.

All the more to give up some of the glut of middle infielders the Cubs have for relief help

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do too. You've heard my Monday morning GM rant about Chapman/Torres.

Just saw on the ESPN crawler that Ben Zobrist will attempt to come back this year.

All the more to give up some of the glut of middle infielders the Cubs have for relief help

Yep. Rehab starts next weekend. My guess Sept 1st when rosters expand. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Shoot. At this point I'd rather see if Zambrano still has some left in the tank. Reports of his heater hitting 97 last week in Independent League. Can't be any worse than the gas we keep sending out there on the daily.

Lol I’d love to see that hothead back in the majors. Dude was a head case haha. 

On a side note, Rick Ankiel is planning a comeback too as a reliever. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

18th blown save for Cubs. Broken record at this point. One of the guys used the word demoralizing. Can't find a better word to describe this suck fest of a team right now.

To me, Strop is a poor man’s Carlos Marmol. Definitely some similarities between them. 

Archived