2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reds win 3-1 against the Rockies and Inglesias actually pitched well to get the save.  Never seen a pitcher that pitches so differently when their is a save opportunity compared to when their is no save opportunity.  If he comes into a tie game you can bet he will give up the lead but when he is in for a Save he is pretty dependable.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm arguing with friends on text about Cubs. Somehow day after day after this is still a Maddon problem when the pen blows every effing game. 

Just pitiful...again.  The "Titantic" is sinking fast...I don't know what to say.  Pen sucks, bats have went silent, and the shine has wore off Garcia.  Maybe Ben coming back will turn things around?

7 hours ago, rico said:

Just pitiful...again.  The "Titantic" is sinking fast...I don't know what to say.  Pen sucks, bats have went silent, and the shine has wore off Garcia.  Maybe Ben coming back will turn things around?

Unless he can join and help our pen it won't matter right now. Never witnessed a stretch of gut wrenching losses and bullpen blown saves like this with a good team before. Not much really to add. Until major changes happen this is what we are.

Not throwing in the towel by any means but there has to be some thought within the Cubs organization about the possibility of slight tweak.....not a rebuild. Right now they have a team that is likely to make playoffs. In some cases or organizations that might be ok....but Theo doesn't work that way. He broke down Boston after winning a title to make sure they were staying ahead of things. 

Right now he's trying to do everything for 2019 but I bet he's thinking in the back of his mind about offseason. Which guys to move forward with,etc.....

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not throwing in the towel by any means but there has to be some thought within the Cubs organization about the possibility of slight tweak.....not a rebuild. Right now they have a team that is likely to make playoffs. In some cases or organizations that might be ok....but Theo doesn't work that way. He broke down Boston after winning a title to make sure they were staying ahead of things. 

Right now he's trying to do everything for 2019 but I bet he's thinking in the back of his mind about offseason. Which guys to move forward with,etc.....

Yeah, but prevailing baseball "wisdom" is that it's always easier to change out 1 part than 25.

We may technically be in the playoffs right now, but we're basically tied with 2 teams that are playing better baseball than we are. This ESPN article makes it sound like, at least to me, that the Ricketts are not going to go for a big increase in payroll. We may get some pieces, but no Chapman type move this year. 

If they continue to struggle past the deadline, I look for them to move on from Maddon. I've said it before. I think he's a great manager, but might not be the best for this team at this time (see Tito Franconia... He was and still is a great manager, but had run his course with the Red Sox). If the Cubs miss the playoff this year, he'll be gone anyway, so why not try to slavage this season and bring in someone else?

Anyway, get Zobrist back, try to patch up the pen, and see where we are 2 weeks down the road.

I can't imagine Zobrist having that much of an impact after missing basically the entire season up to this point.  It may be a shot in the arm for a couple of days, but once the initial surge wears off, he's not going to be significantly better than anyone that is playing in the field now.  

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, but prevailing baseball "wisdom" is that it's always easier to change out 1 part than 25.

We may technically be in the playoffs right now, but we're basically tied with 2 teams that are playing better baseball than we are. This ESPN article makes it sound like, at least to me, that the Ricketts are not going to go for a big increase in payroll. We may get some pieces, but no Chapman type move this year. 

If they continue to struggle past the deadline, I look for them to move on from Maddon. I've said it before. I think he's a great manager, but might not be the best for this team at this time (see Tito Franconia... He was and still is a great manager, but had run his course with the Red Sox). If the Cubs miss the playoff this year, he'll be gone anyway, so why not try to slavage this season and bring in someone else?

Anyway, get Zobrist back, try to patch up the pen, and see where we are 2 weeks down the road.

I would say Joe is on that Francona, Sparky Anderson path.  Win, but not winning enough.

Yanks had a chance to put a nail in the Sawks coffin this 4 game series, but the pitching staff has been gawd awful!!!!!!!!!!!!! The worries I had about the pitching staff looks like it may be happening. Cashman needs to get something done and fast! I'm hoping the guys in pinstripes can manage 1 win tonight, but I'm not feeling too confident.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I can't imagine Zobrist having that much of an impact after missing basically the entire season up to this point.  It may be a shot in the arm for a couple of days, but once the initial surge wears off, he's not going to be significantly better than anyone that is playing in the field now.  

Maybe. He's an important part of that clubhouse though.

Like I said, him coming back and getting bullpen help might be all the Cubs need.

Not hopeful at this point, though...

35 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yanks had a chance to put a nail in the Sawks coffin this 4 game series, but the pitching staff has been gawd awful!!!!!!!!!!!!! The worries I had about the pitching staff looks like it may be happening. Cashman needs to get something done and fast! I'm hoping the guys in pinstripes can manage 1 win tonight, but I'm not feeling too confident.

I know I got a Boston hat around here somewhere!  LOL  I wouldn't worry too much about the Yanks.  They will be fine.

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe. He's an important part of that clubhouse though.

Like I said, him coming back and getting bullpen help might be all the Cubs need.

Not hopeful at this point, though...

My BF is is in complete melt down mode.  I was up until 2:30 this morning listening to him vent.  And TBH, I didn't know what to tell him to comfort his anger about the way the Cubs are performing.  But as a Reds fan, I would trade positions with you guys in a nano second...

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Normally I would agree but two things. Schwarber worked his tail off to get back for the World Series and his .430 average or so worked out. Plus Zobrist is just the consummate pro we've been missing. Moving guys along, advancing runners, delivered key hits,etc....could be grasping but the whole team changed once we started guys like Jake, Dexter, Ross...and now Zobrist. Vets always needed in my opinion.

1 hour ago, rico said:

My BF is is in complete melt down mode.  I was up until 2:30 this morning listening to him vent.  And TBH, I didn't know what to tell him to comfort his anger about the way the Cubs are performing.  But as a Reds fan, I would trade positions with you guys in a nano second...

That's what I was telling my buddies this morning. As fans we are probably some of the most annoying if not THE most....if we're going to have catch phrases for every season, sing a song after every win, etc.....with that said we have big shoulders. We'll just have to carry this load right now. Can't get any worse.

Regarding trading positions. Understand and I don't want to lose sight of where we are but after 2016 and everyone under contract for years to come it's hard to see 6-7 other teams fly right by us. 

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what I was telling my buddies this morning. As fans we are probably some of the most annoying if not THE most....if we're going to have catch phrases for every season, sing a song after every win, etc.....with that said we have big shoulders. We'll just have to carry this load right now. Can't get any worse.

Regarding trading positions. Understand and I don't want to lose sight of where we are but after 2016 and everyone under contract for years to come it's hard to see 6-7 other teams fly right by us. 

You and I have discussed this at length in the past.  The window for the Cubs success is staring them in the face.  Nothing wrong with expecting multiple WS banners from this core group.  Even I would be disappointed in them if they didn't.

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

10-3 lead in the 7th, but can the bullpen hold it!😁

First four in the order, 0-16, 5 through 8 with 9 runs scored. 

Baseball is a funny game sometimes.

If we don't hold this lead....Chernobyl will look like spilled milk in aisle 8 compared to the meltdown that will happen. 

Archived