2019 MLB Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Cubs lose another close one in extras. The Giants are the hottest team in MLB right now.

I'm glad Yaztremski's grandson is doing well for them. I always liked Yaz as a player, although Bouton called him out for "dogging it" in "Ball Four" when  things weren't going well for the Bosox.

Hopefully Lester can salvage a getaway day afternoon game.

One quick thing. Saw Sandoval interview this morning. He calls Yas "glass of whiskey" because he can't pronounce his last name. Haha

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds are now 9-1 in games decided by 7 runs or more so we can see why they have a + run differential this year.  They also have lost more 1 run games than anyone in baseball with losing 22 games by 1 run.

1 run games are usually a product of timely hitting and bullpen I think. Didn't know you guys had that many 1 run losses. Ouch.

On the flip side the Giants are 24-10 this year in one run games. Is that Bochy or his players? Plenty of talk about managers in close games.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds are now 9-1 in games decided by 7 runs or more so we can see why they have a + run differential this year.  They also have lost more 1 run games than anyone in baseball with losing 22 games by 1 run.

The Reds are not far off from being able to compete at the top of the NL Central.  This is not your typical last place team.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

1 run games are usually a product of timely hitting and bullpen I think. Didn't know you guys had that many 1 run losses. Ouch.

On the flip side the Giants are 24-10 this year in one run games. Is that Bochy or his players? Plenty of talk about managers in close games.

Your comment about Bochy made me think a bit...

The Giants have been hot, and are only 2 games out of a wild card (no way they're catching the Dodgers, unless we time-warp back to 1951 and invoke the ghost of Bobby Thomson). They were viewed as "sellers" up until probably this week.

With this being Bochy's swan song, do they hang onto their assets (notably their bullpen and Bumgarner) and try to send Bochy out on a championship note?

The guy has managed 3 world series champs after all...

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Your comment about Bochy made me think a bit...

The Giants have been hot, and are only 2 games out of a wild card (no way they're catching the Dodgers, unless we time-warp back to 1951 and invoke the ghost of Bobby Thomson). They were viewed as "sellers" up until probably this week.

With this being Bochy's swan song, do they hang onto their assets (notably their bullpen and Bumgarner) and try to send Bochy out on a championship note?

The guy has managed 3 world series champs after all...

Been curious myself. I've wanted Wilson for the last month for our bullpen but now they've turned themselves into potentially buyers. This next week will be very, very telling for several franchises. Buster Olney was saying yesterday that several GM's said the reliever market was overpriced still. I like Bochy. Championship guy and first ballot Hall of Fame. I can't imagine them pulling the plug on this team but you never know. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interestingly the Giants are 25-27 at home this year.

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Seriously asking because I cant make up my mind? Does home field in baseball have the most or least advantage of the major pro sports?

Least in my opinion but mostly because crowd noise in other sports plays a far greater role. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the absolute part of this thing that ticks me off. There isn't a better supported team on the road in baseball. Haven't won a road series since mid May? Worst road team in NL and just barely ahead of KC Royals and Baltimore Orioles. Don't need to tell you obviously....but let that sink in. Haha

I’d argue the Cardinals are at least as supported if not better supported on the road. 

32 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’d argue the Cardinals are at least as supported if not better supported on the road. 

Sorry. Not close. Cardinals fans travel within the region but for example last night in San Francisco. Half the lower stands were Cubs fans. Seattle earlier this year...60/40 in favor of Cubs fans (my cousin was there for it). I could go on and on but Cards fans travel well to regional teams but they don't have the national pull.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. Not close. Cardinals fans travel within the region but for example last night in San Francisco. Half the lower stands were Cubs fans. Seattle earlier this year...60/40 in favor of Cubs fans (my cousin was there for it). I could go on and on but Cards fans travel well to regional teams but they don't have the national pull.

When I went to the final game of the Cubs-Astros series, at least 30-40 percent were wearing Cub blue...including me and my wife.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That game I watched Monday night it was a sea of blue.

Just now, rico said:

That game I watched Monday night it was a sea of blue.

Couple of summers ago we went to Lake Tahoe for vacation. Besides being my favorite place on Earth...we also scheduled it when Cubs were going to be playing in SF so we could driver over and catch a game. Try to do that every couple of years so I can see a new ballpark while watching Cubs. Next year Cubs get AL East. Been to Fenway but never to new Yankee Stadium (went to old a few times). 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

How would you know how well card fans travel to non-regional venues? Cardinals absolutely have national pull. 

Archived