2019 MLB Discussion

rico

Just now, rico said:

Fair enough, so you consider this an audition.

Yes.  They have zero chance in signing him past this year, so if they want anything for him, he's got to go.  Now, I know Roark is rumored as well, but I think the Reds might hang onto him because he's proven to be reliable just in case they sneak back into the wild-card race..  And, a healthy Wood will fetch more than a healthy Roark.  That said, if Wood gets bombed, or shows he's not healthy, I think Roark goes.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If he goes 5 innings and gives up less than 3 runs.  Yes, I think he goes. 

I don't know if any team would take a chance on him after only one start.  I see the Reds trading Puig which I don't really wat to see because he is one thing that makes watching the Reds enjoyable.  I also could see them trading Roark as well but I don't think you would get much for either player.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know if any team would take a chance on him after only one start.  I see the Reds trading Puig which I don't really wat to see because he is one thing that makes watching the Reds enjoyable.  I also could see them trading Roark as well but I don't think you would get much for either player.

Wood was 16-3 in 2017.  I would be surprised very f some contending team doesn't look to pick him up for the stretch run knowing they can let him walk after the season if they want.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Wood was 16-3 in 2017.  I would be surprised very f some contending team doesn't look to pick him up for the stretch run knowing they can let him walk after the season if they want.

Question for my fellow Reds fans, do you think it is best to trade most of the pending free agents?  I just don't know if it is worth it if you just get some minor leaguer who really has no future or do you risk losing them for nothing.  Never no maybe we get lucky and trade one of the veterans and that player we get turns out like John Smoltz.  The Tigers traded Smoltz when he was a minor to the Braves for Doyle Alexander a veteran pitcher.  Or get a Jeff Bagwell who was trade by the Red Sox for Larry Anderson.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Question for my fellow Reds fans, do you think it is best to trade most of the pending free agents?  I just don't know if it is worth it if you just get some minor leaguer who really has no future or do you risk losing them for nothing.  Never no maybe we get lucky and trade one of the veterans and that player we get turns out like John Smoltz.  The Tigers traded Smoltz when he was a minor to the Braves for Doyle Alexander a veteran pitcher.  Or get a Jeff Bagwell who was trade by the Red Sox for Larry Anderson.

I'm okay with trading either Wood or Roark.  Trade one and they could still survive the year.  Trade both and the tank is on.

I'm okay of they trade Gennett

I want to hang onto Puig and Jose Iglesias. Both those guys are critical to the team, and I would love for them to be part of something magical and maybe they would consider trying to stay.

All that said, you are correct in that none of these guys is going to bring an overly impressive return.

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Funny thing is he had more starts last year in route to 9-7...but yeah somebody will pick him up if offered.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Smoltz and Bagwells are few and far between.  We ain't gonna get a top prospect for anyone in this day and age.  However we could get somebody that is already on a ML roster that has several years of control...and that is what the Reds need to be looking at.

34 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cards and Cubs all tied at the top of the Central. Cards finally starting to play some consistently good baseball. Tough 11 game stretch coming up though. 

Enjoy that home stand and that left coast trip.

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Cubs recall Happ who has been on a nice tear. Haven't said what the corresponding roster move will be, but you have to think it's Garcia back to Iowa, or Descalso getting his release.

Shouldn't be Garcia....he's done extremely well since being called up. Descalso should have been sent to the hills already so my guess it's him. Big series this weekend. Actually next 9 games all are huge. 

Trade deadline time is fun. Although so many teams like to link the Cubs to some of their players to drive up market value it's hard to figure out what's true.

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Cubs recall Happ who has been on a nice tear. Haven't said what the corresponding roster move will be, but you have to think it's Garcia back to Iowa, or Descalso getting his release.

Garcia?  

57 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Shouldn't be Garcia....he's done extremely well since being called up. Descalso should have been sent to the hills already so my guess it's him. Big series this weekend. Actually next 9 games all are huge. 

Trade deadline time is fun. Although so many teams like to link the Cubs to some of their players to drive up market value it's hard to figure out what's true.

After reading this I'm wondering. I know attitude and a veteran's presence means a lot, but you gotta get something out of him on the field.

The two names I'm hearing as far as deadline deals for the Cubs are Eric Sogard and Castellanos. Apparently the Royals have taken Merrifield off the table.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

After reading this I'm wondering. I know attitude and a veteran's presence means a lot, but you gotta get something out of him on the field.

The two names I'm hearing as far as deadline deals for the Cubs are Eric Sogard and Castellanos. Apparently the Royals have taken Merrifield off the table.

Good read and article. Thanks for sharing. Makes sense to keep guys like that around because good clubhouse guys are very underrated. With that said and as you mentioned we have to get something from him. I'm really focusing on Castellanos as long as the asking price isn't exorbitant. Hadn't heard much on Sogard but like his lefty bat and can play multiple positions.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Reports are that the Twins are discussing a Noah Syndergaard trade.

I just saw the Astros were in on him too. 

He'll bring a high price. 26 year olds with an arm like that are the most coveted commodity in baseball.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just saw the Astros were in on him too. 

He'll bring a high price. 26 year olds with an arm like that are the most coveted commodity in baseball.

Any word on what Houston is offering?  The Twins reportedly are offering 2 of their top prospects.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Any word on what Houston is offering?  The Twins reportedly are offering 2 of their top prospects.

They didn't really say beyond "talks." This was a local news channel, so could just be wishful thinking, but any deal that didn't include Kyle Tucker would be a non-starter if I was the Mets GM.

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Cubs acquire Derek Holland from the Giants...I don't know if I like this.

For cash...Holland has post season experience. Have a couple of months to see if he works out better than what we have...if not, only money lost...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For cash...Holland has post season experience. Have a couple of months to see if he works out better than what we have...if not, only money lost...

Who did the Cubs DFA?  I couldn't make it out on the radio.

Archived