2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If Kintzler is hurt Theo is probably going to have to make a deal for some bullpen help asap....and potentially have to overpay to do it. Kimbrel said if this were Sept or October he would just deal with pain but wanted to take time and get healthy now. Morrow still in parts unknown. Never understood how a guy who can't put his pants on right after a game is still hurt 1+ year later.

You can't make anymore trade since the trade deadline is over and they don't have August deadline any longer.  Well you can claim someone off wavers like the Reds did today with Gausman from the Braves

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You can't make anymore trade since the trade deadline is over and they don't have August deadline any longer.  Well you can claim someone off wavers like the Reds did today with Gausman from the Braves

Sorry. Should have been more specific. Waiver moves or whatever they call them after July 31st. Cubs will have to do something in short order though. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. Should have been more specific. Waiver moves or whatever they call them after July 31st. Cubs will have to do something in short order though. 

I think Hernandez from the Reds will be available soon.  

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like Jonathan Lucroy cleared waivers and might be the catcher to help Cubs fill in while Contreras is down. 

Lucroy may be a slight offensive upgrade from Taylor Davis, but I've never been impressed with his defense or pitch calling. Davis was ok in the limited time he was in there before.

Davis was hitting .250 in AAA

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Lucroy may be a slight offensive upgrade from Taylor Davis, but I've never been impressed with his defense or pitch calling. Davis was ok in the limited time he was in there before.

Davis was hitting .250 in AAA

Lucroy is a career .275 hitter and a 2-time AS.

22 minutes ago, rico said:

Lucroy is a career .275 hitter and a 2-time AS.

.242 this year and .241 last year. His last all star year was 2016. He throws out about 25% of base stealers.

I think he's way on the downside if the Angels released him with only Kevan Smith and Dustin Garneau on the roster. 

May have been a money saving move for the Halos (owed the balance of $3.35 million), but the Cubs have been trying to save money too.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

.242 this year and .241 last year. His last all star year was 2016. He throws out about 25% of base stealers.

I think he's way on the downside if the Angels released him with only Kevan Smith and Dustin Garneau on the roster. 

May have been a money saving move for the Halos (owed the balance of $3.35 million), but the Cubs have been trying to save money too.

Yeah, the Angels releasing him really makes no sense seeing as how the injury bug has hit them hard.  But Lucroy, offensively, is a solid pick-up for a play-off contender.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

Yeah, the Angels releasing him really makes no sense seeing as how the injury bug has hit them hard.  But Lucroy, offensively, is a solid pick-up for a play-off contender.

If it happens...this is as about as good as we could hope for given the situation. Makes me curious if Theo got word Angels were going to let him go after trade deadline which allowed him to move Maldonado for Kemp. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If it happens...this is as about as good as we could hope for given the situation. Makes me curious if Theo got word Angels were going to let him go after trade deadline which allowed him to move Maldonado for Kemp. 

Lord knows what these GM's do via the phone and in dark alleys.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Or Maddon. I'm sure he's still got a lot of friends in the Angels organization.

But if I was Theo, I'd say "My team is on the field." 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Or Maddon. I'm sure he's still got a lot of friends in the Angels organization.

But if I was Theo, I'd say "My team is on the field." 

I think they tried that approach in the off and beginning of the season and normally I agree with your sentiments. This group though was playing dead a-- baseball and have been for awhile. A guy like Castellanos and Kemp have injected some much needed "hunger"....as Maddon referenced this weekend.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think they tried that approach in the off and beginning of the season and normally I agree with your sentiments. This group though was playing dead a-- baseball and have been for awhile. A guy like Castellanos and Kemp have injected some much needed "hunger"....as Maddon referenced this weekend.

Maybe just the soft spot in my heart for career minor leaguers like Taylor Davis. I remember feeling good for Taylor when he hit the big grand slam against the Cardinals this year.

I'm a Joe Kmak fan too, so...

Prior to the start of the season we had marked this week as a big week in baseball. The Angel's were playing in Cincy and we hoped to be able to see our good friend and mentor to my son Alex Meyer pitch against the Reds. Unfortunately I never got to see Alex play live in the majors before retiring. Very good baseball player 100x better person

Archived