2019 MLB Discussion

rico

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Here’s the thing, as long as fans keep showing up (they’ve been 2nd in attendance on average the last decade) and money keeps pouring in, why would they make sweeping changes? It’d have to take fans staying away to possibly do something which is hard to imagine. 

Cubs fans used to say the same thing oh so many years ago.  It appears to me that the Card FO thinks they have enough for a post-season appearance or...they don't have enough enough on the farm to get what they need.  I dunno.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

The Yankees 4 game sweep of the Sawks came at a cost. First, Encarnacion gets plunked with a pitch and fractures his wrist. Then in the second game, Hicks injures his shoulder making a throw to 3rd base. Then, last night, Gleyber Torres gets injured when he smacked a wicked foul ball off his shin.

Man, when it rains, it pours!

Well, sometimes that is the way it goes.  I hope Torres isn't bad.  Wait, did I just say that?  

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Cubs fans used to say the same thing oh so many years ago.  It appears to me that the Card FO thinks they have enough for a post-season appearance or...they don't have enough enough on the farm to get what they need.  I dunno.

Cubs purposely tanking for multiple years paid off. Idk if I see the cardinals doing that. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cubs purposely tanking for multiple years paid off. Idk if I see the cardinals doing that. 

I am talking in the mid to late 70's.  Now the Cards very well just might be eyeing the FA market.  Stand pat, and go after who they think they can get?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I am talking in the mid to late 70's.  Now the Cards very well just might be eyeing the FA market.  Stand pat, and go after who they think they can get?

I think the STL FO knows what they are doing and they did make a huge trade in the off season to get Goldschmidt.  Probably don't want to give up their best prospects for mainly 2 month rentals at the trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think the STL FO knows what they are doing and they did make a huge trade in the off season to get Goldschmidt.  Probably don't want to give up their best prospects for mainly 2 month rentals at the trade deadline.

I never said they didn't know what they were doing...but it is curious as to why they didn't get what they "needed" to make a play-off push(so to speak).

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I never said they didn't know what they were doing...but it is curious as to why they didn't get what they "needed" to make a play-off push(so to speak).

Maybe they did not want to give up what people were asking for especially if it was for a 2 month rental.  They also might think they are more than just a player away from competing for  championship.

29 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don't know if "purposely tanking" is accurate. In the early part of this decade the Cubs had an aging roster and no farm system to speak of. Jim Hendry had gone for it in 2008 and 2009, and it didn't work out. When the new ownership took over, they really had no choice but to suffer through some lean years, rebuilding both the major league club and the farm system at the same time. No small feat.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe they did not want to give up what people were asking for especially if it was for a 2 month rental.  They also might think they are more than just a player away from competing for  championship.

Yeah, I know all the "variables".  They were in the market for a TOR guy.  Hell, the Reds and the Mets got 2 of them?  And Bauer is not a rental.  The 

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know if "purposely tanking" is accurate. In the early part of this decade the Cubs had an aging roster and no farm system to speak of. Jim Hendry had gone for it in 2008 and 2009, and it didn't work out. When the new ownership took over, they really had no choice but to suffer through some lean years, rebuilding both the major league club and the farm system at the same time. No small feat.

When was it that the Cubs traded Donaldson for Rich Harden?  I know Josh is still playing.  And the Cubs were good when they made that that trade.

31 minutes ago, rico said:

When was it that the Cubs traded Donaldson for Rich Harden?  I know Josh is still playing.  And the Cubs were good when they made that that trade.

Donaldson was an A ball catcher when that deal was made. Eric Patterson was the big piece from the Cubs point of view.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Build up a lead in the standings at home so we can give it up on the road.

Maybe El Mago will stay hot...

#roadkillnomore

Just feels good to keep this mo going. Castellanos setting the tone again. Baez doing his thing. A's are a good team who just did us a solid by sweeping Cardinals. All of a sudden Cubs with 2.5 lead, Lester going tonight. As you said...build up the lead at home to watch it die a slow death by next Tuesday. Haha

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just feels good to keep this mo going. Castellanos setting the tone again. Baez doing his thing. A's are a good team who just did us a solid by sweeping Cardinals. All of a sudden Cubs with 2.5 lead, Lester going tonight. As you said...build up the lead at home to watch it die a slow death by next Tuesday. Haha

Castellanos has been big so far hitting .400. Tony Kemp has been contributing too, in limited time. If we can limp through until Contreras and Kimbrel get back, I like the Cubs chances of winning the division.

Just don't want to see another September swoon like last year.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Castellanos has been big so far hitting .400. Tony Kemp has been contributing too, in limited time. If we can limp through until Contreras and Kimbrel get back, I like the Cubs chances of winning the division.

Just don't want to see another September swoon like last year.

If Kintzler is hurt Theo is probably going to have to make a deal for some bullpen help asap....and potentially have to overpay to do it. Kimbrel said if this were Sept or October he would just deal with pain but wanted to take time and get healthy now. Morrow still in parts unknown. Never understood how a guy who can't put his pants on right after a game is still hurt 1+ year later.

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Everyone knows the Cubs have a Theme song.  Actually more than one. 

But I wonder if the resident Yankee fan knows they have one too?

Or the Twinks?

On the other hand, the Cardinals had to rely on regurgitated wedding songs. I'd say Stlboiler should get in the stick and write them one. 

I’d rather have no song than have something like Go Cubs Go lol. Terrible song. 

Archived