2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

Did the switch flip on for the Cubs...or flip off for for the Brewers?

Different team at home. 3 more vs A's before I hope we figure out our road woes. Cubs starters haven't allowed a walk in 6 straight...first time since 1905. For those scoring at home on Yu Darvish. Since July 1st. 35.2 innings....2.78 ERA. 44k's and 2 walks. The numbers actually suggest 2.78 ERA is high. 

Reds beat the Braves 6-4 in 10 innings despite another meltdown by the bullpen.  Gray pitched 7 innings of scoreless ball and left with a 3-0 lead but the bullpen gave up 1 in 8th e8th and 2 in the 9th.  Reds took a 6-3 lead with 3 in the 10th but the bullpen gave up another run in the 10th.  I guess closers can't pitch 3 days in a row because they did not pitch Inglesias at all today with him pitching 1 inning in 2 straight days.  So the Reds brought out Lucas Sims in the 8th and he gave up a HR and in the 9th and Garret gave up a 2 run HR in the 9th.

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Reds beat the Braves 6-4 in 10 innings despite another meltdown by the bullpen.  Gray pitched 7 innings of scoreless ball and left with a 3-0 lead but the bullpen gave up 1 in 8th e8th and 2 in the 9th.  Reds took a 6-3 lead with 3 in the 10th but the bullpen gave up another run in the 10th.  I guess closers can't pitch 3 days in a row because they did not pitch Inglesias at all today with him pitching 1 inning in 2 straight days.  So the Reds brought out Lucas Sims in the 8th and he gave up a HR and in the 9th and Garret gave up a 2 run HR in the 9th.

That was a very competitive series...I will take the split in the ATL

6 minutes ago, rico said:

That was a very competitive series...I will take the split in the ATL

Agree but they need to do something about the bullpen.  Earlier in the year when Garrett, Hernandez and Lorenzen were all pitching well we were  tough if we were leading after 6.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Agree but they need to do something about the bullpen.  Earlier in the year when Garrett, Hernandez and Lorenzen were all pitching well we were  tough if we were leading after 6.

Dog days of summer my friend.

So, what I'm hoping for is if the Cubs can hang on and win the NL Central, that the Giants get a wildcard slot, win the wildcard game, and take on the Dodgers.

The Dodgers look like the team to beat in the NL, but in that rivalry, anything can happen.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:15 PM, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yanks/Sawks re-new their rivalry this time at Yankee Stadium. Sawks beat the heck out of the pitching staff and took 3 out of 4 games. I'm hoping the Yankees can return the "favor", although I don't think it will happen.

Well, I'll be dog gone if the Yankees completed a 4 game sweep of the Sawks!!! Kinda makes up for the debacle at Fenway.....

Go Yanks

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So, what I'm hoping for is if the Cubs can hang on and win the NL Central, that the Giants get a wildcard slot, win the wildcard game, and take on the Dodgers.

The Dodgers look like the team to beat in the NL, but in that rivalry, anything can happen.

Darn good weekend of baseball. Starting pitching on point, timely hitting, and Holland is already paying off in bullpen. We've seen these puffs of smoke before so I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Castellanos is fitting in and contributing right away. Hearing him talk after the game yesterday he'll be a fan favorite quickly. Maddon referenced he and Kemp about it's nice to see guys who have the hunger again. Which I thought was fair enough statement to some of our guys.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Darn good weekend of baseball. Starting pitching on point, timely hitting, and Holland is already paying off in bullpen. We've seen these puffs of smoke before so I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

Castellanos is fitting in and contributing right away. Hearing him talk after the game yesterday he'll be a fan favorite quickly. Maddon referenced he and Kemp about it's nice to see guys who have the hunger again. Which I thought was fair enough statement to some of our guys.

Yeah, maybe I do like the Brewers in the NL better 🙂.

Really encouraged by Darvish yesterday. His stuff was nasty. Even the HR Yelich hit was on a pretty good pitch.

They just have to get it together on the road. 

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, maybe I do like the Brewers in the NL better 🙂.

Really encouraged by Darvish yesterday. His stuff was nasty. Even the HR Yelich hit was on a pretty good pitch.

They just have to get it together on the road. 

We rarely hear players talk about games in the future but Bryant, Rizzo, and a couple of others mentioned this upcoming road trip before the game even yesterday. Said about getting the road record straight. Hope so....but Reds have had our number, we historically don't play well in Philly, and I expect at least one more bench clearing incident with Pirates after our last series with them.

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If this is true, the Cubs sure dodged a bullet.

Astros too...but I can just hear the caterwauling if Theo had made this trade.

Fortunately, I think he saw the raw potential in El Mago from day one...

Interesting that two of the better run front offices thought so much of Fulmer. Javy wasn't full throttle Javy at the time the trade was discussed but yes...bullet dodged for sure. 

Twins sweep Royals this weekend, despite the fact that first Buxton, and then Sam Dyson-the lone pickup at the trade deadline-have gone on the 10 day DL.

Sitting at 69-42 with 51 games left. I'm thinking that if they even play .500 ball the rest of the way, they'll be at 94 wins which should get them in the playoffs.

No illusions that this team could beat either Houston or the Yankees in a series, however with the way the Twins hit, I know they can score vs NY. Just not confident that the pitching staff could hold up.

Big intra-league series starting vs. Atlanta. I think this will provide another good measuring stick as to how competitive the Twins can be vs. high end teams.

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Twins sweep Royals this weekend, despite the fact that first Buxton, and then Sam Dyson-the lone pickup at the trade deadline-have gone on the 10 day DL.

Sitting at 69-42 with 51 games left. I'm thinking that if they even play .500 ball the rest of the way, they'll be at 94 wins which should get them in the playoffs.

No illusions that this team could beat either Houston or the Yankees in a series, however with the way the Twins hit, I know they can score vs NY. Just not confident that the pitching staff could hold up.

Big intra-league series starting vs. Atlanta. I think this will provide another good measuring stick as to how competitive the Twins can be vs. high end teams.

Concur with everything ya said there.

I am pulling for your Twinkies...

2 hours ago, rico said:

Here’s the thing, as long as fans keep showing up (they’ve been 2nd in attendance on average the last decade) and money keeps pouring in, why would they make sweeping changes? It’d have to take fans staying away to possibly do something which is hard to imagine. 

The Yankees 4 game sweep of the Sawks came at a cost. First, Encarnacion gets plunked with a pitch and fractures his wrist. Then in the second game, Hicks injures his shoulder making a throw to 3rd base. Then, last night, Gleyber Torres gets injured when he smacked a wicked foul ball off his shin.

Man, when it rains, it pours!

Archived