2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, rico said:

Are the Cubs or Reds gonna take a flier on Tony Sipp?

If the Cubs wanted another lefty, and I'm not sure they do with Holland and Ryan already in the pen, he'd be a good option for a look-see.

He was really good for the Astros last year, but struggled this year, especially at getting left handed batters out.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If the Cubs wanted another lefty, and I'm not sure they do with Holland and Ryan already in the pen, he'd be a good option for a look-see.

He was really good for the Astros last year, but struggled this year, especially at getting left handed batters out.

I remember him having a tough time latching on with someone...part of me thinks he might be damaged goods, but yeah I would take a look-see for sure.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like Jonathan Lucroy cleared waivers and might be the catcher to help Cubs fill in while Contreras is down. 

How on earth does someone like Lucroy clear waivers?  He's a .275 career hitter at a premium position.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How on earth does someone like Lucroy clear waivers?  He's a .275 career hitter at a premium position.

Wanna talk Matt Kemp?  Hell, he was just an All-Star last year.  .285 career hitter with pop.  My guess is just teams looking to the future and guys not being part of their plans.

Lucroy is definitely a guy that most teams would take a look at.  As was Kemp.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I would argue that he's not that Jonathan Lucroy. I looked on some Angel fan sites and it appears that in addition to a fall off in hitting, he's a minus defender in a position where I'd rather have a .182 hitter that could play good defense, and call a good game.

Plus, he carries a high price tag. Whoever signs him is on the hook for the balance of a $3.35 million dollar contract 

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would argue that he's not that Jonathan Lucroy. I looked on some Angel fan sites and it appears that in addition to a fall off in hitting, he's a minus defender in a position where I'd rather have a .182 hitter that could play good defense, and call a good game.

Plus, he carries a high price tag. Whoever signs him is on the hook for the balance of a $3.35 million dollar contract 

And what is that balance?

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If I understand the rules correctly....the Angels are on the hook for that $. No one else is....or if they are it's pro rated portion. Maybe someone can come along and explain if I'm incorrect.

This is from Angels reporter.

The Angels have requested release waivers on Jonathan Lucroy. So after Lucroy goes unclaimed, the Angels are on the hook for the rest of his $3.35 million this year.

MLB came out with the playoff/series schedule. No November baseball, which I think is a good thing. I played plenty of early Spring ball in Northern Indiana and it hurts like a bitch hitting a fastball with a wood bat, or catching a fastball.

Don’t like seeing guys wearing winter weather gear while playing a summer game.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If I understand the rules correctly....the Angels are on the hook for that $. No one else is....or if they are it's pro rated portion. Maybe someone can come along and explain if I'm incorrect.

This is from Angels reporter.

The Angels have requested release waivers on Jonathan Lucroy. So after Lucroy goes unclaimed, the Angels are on the hook for the rest of his $3.35 million this year.

Whoever signs him, according to this, assumes liability for the contract

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

MLB came out with the playoff/series schedule. No November baseball, which I think is a good thing. I played plenty of early Spring ball in Northern Indiana and it hurts like a bitch hitting a fastball with a wood bat, or catching a fastball.

Don’t like seeing guys wearing winter weather gear while playing a summer game.

Not to sidetrack but Illinois High School State Finals in Golf were played in Fall. I remember playing a course in Pekin with snow on the ground. I agree with you though....hate when baseball is played in 30 degree temps. Wish they could move it up and up to mid to late October max. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not to sidetrack but Illinois High School State Finals in Golf were played in Fall. I remember playing a course in Pekin with snow on the ground. I agree with you though....hate when baseball is played in 30 degree temps. Wish they could move it up and up to mid to late October max. 

Doubleheaders every other Sunday would move things up a 10-12 days.

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

3.35 mil divided by 162 is about 20,700 per game.

On the other hand, the guy we called up (major league minimum of $555,000) would be just under $3,500 per game

A vintage week by Lucroy could be the difference between making the playoffs and not.  

Archived