2019 MLB Discussion

rico

5 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Meanwhile, the Yankees also do nothing to bolster their starting pitching!!! They are hoping Severino and Betances will contribute it's in some capacity during the 2nd half. But it looks like the Astros added to their already strong staff....  Ugghh!!!

I was surprised they didn't add a pitcher. Greinke had a no trade clause and wouldn't approve one to Yankees so it's not fair to blame Cashman for that one. But not adding anything? 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't worry too much. The Yanks have the 2nd best record in all of baseball, and the best in the AL. No use blowing up your farm system when you're in that position.

But do they have enough to win the WS?

17 minutes ago, rico said:

But do they have enough to win the WS?

I think so. All of their starters have an ERA north of 4, so I don't think one starter was going to make that much of a difference. Two maybe, but for the caliber of starters we're talking about, the price would have been very steep.

The Yankees are a club-them-into-submission, and get to the bullpen (which has been very good) kind of team all year. 

As it stands, they would get the wild card winner (and if I were a Yankees fan, I would pray for it to be the As or Ray's, and not the Indians) while the Astros and Twinks beat up on each other in what I would think would be an exciting series.

So, yeah, I think the Yankees have as good a chance as anybody.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think so. All of their starters have an ERA north of 4, so I don't think one starter was going to make that much of a difference. Two maybe, but for the caliber of starters we're talking about, the price would have been very steep.

The Yankees are a club-them-into-submission, and get to the bullpen (which has been very good) kind of team all year. 

As it stands, they would get the wild card winner (and if I were a Yankees fan, I would pray for it to be the As or Ray's, and not the Indians) while the Astros and Twinks beat up on each other in what I would think would be an exciting series.

That is all fine and good.  But I view it differently.  The Yanks have made their hay with-in their division.  They have struggled against the Central and the West.  I don't feel they are built for the play-offs...but you get in and anything can happen.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

That is all fine and good.  But I view it differently.  The Yanks have made their hay with-in their division.  They have struggled against the Central and the West.  I don't feel they are built for the play-offs...but you get in and anything can happen.

4-2 against the Twinks and 3-4 vs the Stros. Done with both for the regular season.

They have the best record in the AL for a reason. I guess I'm just not a "don't try to fix what isn't broken" kind.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

4-2 against the Twinks and 3-4 vs the Stros. Done with both for the regular season.

They have the best record in the AL for a reason. I guess I'm just not a "don't try to fix what isn't broken" kind.

They are 35-14 against the East and sit 29 games over right now.  

35 minutes ago, rico said:

They are 35-14 against the East and sit 29 games over right now.  

Check the Astros against their division then vs the east and central. I understand the west can be viewed as a better top to bottom division, but the Astros have certainly made their hay there as well, while being mediocre vs the east and central.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Check the Astros against their division then vs the east and central. I understand the west can be viewed as a better top to bottom division, but the Astros have certainly made their hay there as well, while being mediocre vs the east and central.

But the Astros have a new toy to play with.  LOL  I understand.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

But the Astros have a new toy to play with.  LOL  I understand.

True, and Greinke might be that last piece they need...2 things though...He's never burned it up in post season play (3-4 4.03) and I've always wondered about his aversion to being in the spotlight (social anxiety disorder and the no trade clause which seemed to include at least some teams where the spotlight is the brightest...Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, Phils...but surprisingly not the Cubs).

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

To me how baseball is played today in the playoffs all you need from your starters are 4-5 innings and keep your team in the game.  If you have a lockdown bullpen and with the Yankees offense I think they will be fine.

56 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me how baseball is played today in the playoffs all you need from your starters are 4-5 innings and keep your team in the game.  If you have a lockdown bullpen and with the Yankees offense I think they will be fine.

I don't know about that 4-5 inning thing...but I agree with the bullpen thought.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know about that 4-5 inning thing...but I agree with the bullpen thought.

Last year I remember Milwaukee starting pitchers did not pitch very deep into games at all.  It just seems like the managers in the playoffs will not let their pitchers pitch through trouble.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Last year I remember Milwaukee starting pitchers did not pitch very deep into games at all.  It just seems like the managers in the playoffs will not let their pitchers pitch through trouble.

Well play-off baseball does to lend itself to short leashes on pitchers.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

My bad, you're right

LOL.  Scott I went and looked at the Reds 1976 stats.  They only had two pitchers that pitched over 200 innings that year.  Nolan and Zachary(RoY).  Conversely they had 2 relief pitchers that pitched over 100 innings in Eastwick and Borbon.  The team ERA that year was 3.51.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.  Scott I went and looked at the Reds 1976 stats.  They only had two pitchers that pitched over 200 innings that year.  Nolan and Zachary(RoY).  Conversely they had 2 relief pitchers that pitched over 100 innings in Eastwick and Borbon.  The team ERA that year was 3.51.

thanks, I was only 6 years old that season so I was going more on what I have read about that team.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

thanks, I was only 6 years old that season so I was going more on what I have read about that team.

My point is, or sorta is that Sparky kind of morphed the use of the bullpen into what it is today.  Lasorda started it with the Dodgers in '74, Sparky utilized the approach in '75.  The Reds bullpen had 4 relief pitchers that were over or hovered around 100 IP.  To put that in perspective, Aroldis Chapman(arguably the best reliever in the game), max IP is 71 2/3.  Hell, the last few years he is lucky to pitch 50+.  Let that soak in for a liitle bit.  

Archived