2019 MLB Discussion

rico

35 minutes ago, rico said:

My point is, or sorta is that Sparky kind of morphed the use of the bullpen into what it is today.  Lasorda started it with the Dodgers in '74, Sparky utilized the approach in '75.  The Reds bullpen had 4 relief pitchers that were over or hovered around 100 IP.  To put that in perspective, Aroldis Chapman(arguably the best reliever in the game), max IP is 71 2/3.  Hell, the last few years he is lucky to pitch 50+.  Let that soak in for a liitle bit.  

Listen to an interview with Tommy John and they was talking about how Goose Gossage would have 3 inning Saves.  Goose said he could have been the all time reliever if he was used like today's closers are used.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Listen to an interview with Tommy John and they was talking about how Goose Gossage would have 3 inning Saves.  Goose said he could have been the all time reliever if he was used like today's closers are used.

The Dodgers Mike Marshall was the man.  Check this out.  In 1974 "Iron Mike" appeared in 106 games, all in relief.  He compiled a 15-12 record and led the league in saves with 21.  His ERA was 2.42.  He pitched 208.1 innings that year on his way to the CYA and 3rd in MVP voting.  

8 hours ago, rico said:

The Dodgers Mike Marshall was the man.  Check this out.  In 1974 "Iron Mike" appeared in 106 games, all in relief.  He compiled a 15-12 record and led the league in saves with 21.  His ERA was 2.42.  He pitched 208.1 innings that year on his way to the CYA and 3rd in MVP voting.  

All of my Reds fan friends growing up hated Marshall and all of the Dodgers for that matter. Garvey, Lopes, Cey...The whole lot of them.

The Reds and the Dodgers were a big rivalry in the 70s. People forget that.

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All of my Reds fan friends growing up hated Marshall and all of the Dodgers for that matter. Garvey, Lopes, Cey...The whole lot of them.

They were in the NL West and in the 70's one or the other won most of the division titles.  Always wonder how they came up with the divisions because the reds and braves were in the West while Chicago and St. Louis was in the East.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

They were in the NL West and in the 70's one or the other won most of the division titles.  Always wonder how they came up with the divisions because the reds and braves were in the West while Chicago and St. Louis was in the East.

In 1969 when they split the divisions, the Cubs and Cardinals conspired (so much for rivalries) to get put in the NL East together by saying they would not support expansion (Padres/Expos) if they didn't.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

As a Reds fan growing up I hated the Dodgers and as a kid I was so grossed out by the overly hairy arms of Steve Garvey.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Potentially dangerous times for Cubs. 6 games vs Brewers/A's. After that we head on the road (worst NL road record) for 10 straight. No clue where we'll be on August 19th but right now I'd probably settle for 9-7 over this stretch.

Who are the 10 road games against?

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

In 1969 when they split the divisions, the Cubs and Cardinals conspired (so much for rivalries) to get put in the NL East together by saying they would not support expansion (Padres/Expos) if they didn't.

Kind of funny that teams moving in the AL changed the divisions for the first few years.  

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

As a Reds fan growing up I hated the Dodgers and as a kid I was so grossed out by the overly hairy arms of Steve Garvey.

My hate for them continues to this day.  But I must admit they were a well ran organization.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Kind of funny that teams moving in the AL changed the divisions for the first few years.  

Yeah, the Pilots (I actually remember them being on a Saturday NBC game of the week...the scrambled eggs on the bill of the cap was a little much) moving to Milwaukee, then changing divisions when the Senators went to Dallas/Fort Worth made for some confusing times.

As far as the Brewers are concerned, if it was up to me, they'd be back in the AL and the Astros would be back in the NL just to spite Selig.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, the Pilots (I actually remember them being on a Saturday NBC game of the week...the scrambled eggs on the bill of the cap was a little much) moving to Milwaukee, then changing divisions when the Senators went to Dallas/Fort Worth made for some confusing times.

As far as the Brewers are concerned, if it was up to me, they'd be back in the AL and the Astros would be back in the NL just to spite Selig.

I like the Brewers being in the NL.

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If it were up to me there would be 4-6 less teams in the league

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You might be in for some disappointment. My guess is within 5 years MLB will have added multiple teams.Out West, Mexico, Nashville.....couple other markets mentioned. 

Nothing more exciting or disappointing as an expansion draft.  Maybe I should say just plain interesting.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

You might be in for some disappointment. My guess is within 5 years MLB will have added multiple teams.Out West, Mexico, Nashville.....couple other markets mentioned. 

I never said it would happen but what I thought would be the best for the game.

Archived