Pet Peeves

On 9/13/2022 at 9:17 AM, mrflynn03 said:

People who can't respond to emails in a timely manner need drop kicked in the groin. 

Guilty as charged.  I've literally spent the last day and a half cleaning out my inbox at work, some of the messages quite aged and unopened.  The absolute worst thing someone can do is send me an email late in the day. 

Emails are an early morning thing for me.  And, if the following morning becomes chaotic for whatever reason, and that email that came in late yesterday afternoon is not from my boss, or does not  have a subject line that grabs my attention, it may not get read.

If you want me to respond in the afternoon, I need an IM.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Guilty as charged.  I've literally spent the last day and a half cleaning out my inbox at work, some of the messages quite aged and unopened.  The absolute worst thing someone can do is send me an email late in the day. 

Emails are an early morning thing for me.  And, if the following morning becomes chaotic for whatever reason, and that email that came in late yesterday afternoon is not from my boss, or does not  have a subject line that grabs my attention, it may not get read.

If you want me to respond in the afternoon, I need an IM.

I cannot leave a message unread. It kills me and if I know I have a message waiting I have to check it. I always think what if that is the life changing client that I have been looking for. I wish I wasn't wired this way sometimes. 

• Like 3

Part of my issue with emails is that I work for a global company and my immediate team is global as well.   I communicate with people overseas as well as the Western U.S. on a daily basis.  

When 5 o'clock EDT hits, that does not mean my email goes quiet, because a good chunk of people I work with are in different time zones.  I have dozens that come in overnight every single day.  

As a result, I usually hit emails hardest from 8-10 in the morning.  If I don't get through them before 10, other stuff usually gets in the way.  And, if an email from Monday does not get looked at Tuesday for whatever reason, it's probably not going to get looked at until I do my monthly cleanup of my inbox.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Part of my issue with emails is that I work for a global company and my immediate team is global as well.   I communicate with people overseas as well as the Western U.S. on a daily basis.  

When 5 o'clock EDT hits, that does not mean my email goes quiet, because a good chunk of people I work with are in different time zones.  I have dozens that come in overnight every single day.  

As a result, I usually hit emails hardest from 8-10 in the morning.  If I don't get through them before 10, other stuff usually gets in the way.  And, if an email from Monday does not get looked at Tuesday for whatever reason, it's probably not going to get looked at until I do my monthly cleanup of my inbox.

I've recently started a huge stink over being on every dang email list in the company. I don't need to take 2 or 20 seconds deleting an email, that I had to read to make sure that it REALLY DIDN'T require me to respond, or even freaking see. I made the VP pretty perturbed with my instance to get this crap fixed. It wasn't a problem........until I started forwarding every one of them to him. The problem got fixed within 3 days. 

I consider this my Abbott Desantis move.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I should clarify the email that frustrated me I had been waiting 5 days for a response to and after a couple follow ups. 

There are absolutely vastly different levels of email violations.  You opened the door with your peeve and I barged in with the fact that I basically dont like emails at all.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I should clarify the email that frustrated me I had been waiting 5 days for a response to and after a couple follow ups. 

Anytime I was waiting for a response to an email, my boss would say “did you call him?” There are a lot of people you need to do both in order to get their attention! That and putting the high priority flag on an email sometimes works.

Different people respond differently. It’s like the old ASAP. Some people act like that means whenever I get to it, instead of acting urgently.

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

People who register complaints at work but violate the same standard they are complaining about. 

If you're going to complain about my phone being in my pocket while unloading a truck, to the store manager, then turn your God awful playlist off at 7 in the morning truck team supervisor.  I'm only here the the discount and to feed my Roth anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2022 at 8:24 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

If you are client facing, emails get answered promptly. 
I am in a highly regulated industry, and have to be extremely careful with what I say in an email. That being said, I will answer any client’s communication regardless of when I get it. Replying via email, or making a phone call, depending on the request.

Co-workers that send me an IM or urgent email when I'm busy posting on HSN.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/10/2022 at 10:30 AM, mrflynn03 said:

People who register complaints at work but violate the same standard they are complaining about. 

If you're going to complain about my phone being in my pocket while unloading a truck, to the store manager, then turn your God awful playlist off at 7 in the morning truck team supervisor.  I'm only here the the discount and to feed my Roth anyway. 

I had a very short stint in retail right after I retired from the USAF...

I truly mean it when I say I'd rather be a honey dipper than ever work retail again... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I had a very short stint in retail right after I retired from the USAF...

I truly mean it when I say I'd rather be a honey dipper than ever work retail again... 

The pettiness is unbelievable.  My last day will be Nov 8th. I'm going to clean up with my 50% off and bounce. 

Some movies make more sense now. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:21 PM, IUFLA said:

I had to Google "honey dipper" (A worker who collects household sewage from sewage tanks.)

Quick story:  I hired a guy to clean out a 50-year-old kitchen grease pit that had been unused for decades.  He had quoted me $100.  When he arrived in his truck, I went out, thanked him for coming, and shook his hand.

Him (astonished):  "You're the first person to shake my hand in 10 years.  No one does that.  Tell you what, you made my day, so this one's free.  I'll charge the next customer double."

A $100 handshake, just for showing someone a little respect.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I don't know where else to put this but it's kind of a pet peeve. Why do old ladies have squeaky voices?

I know people can't help it but nasally, squeaky, and east coast ways of talking is very nails on a chalkboard like. 

I watched a house hunters last night.  Minnesota.   Now officially the worst of all English accents.  

• Haha 1

Experienced two big Pet Peeves at Bengals game by the same group of people.

• People that try to sit in seats not belonging to them.  I'm not talking about when the stadium/arena is half full, but when it's 90% or more full, sit in the seats that belong to you.  Today, at the game, a young couple sat next to my son,  A few minutes before the game started, they got bumped by the real seat owner.  They moved down one row, only to get bumped midway through the 1st quarter when the family of 4 those seats belonged to showed up.  
  • People that smoke/vape when it is against stadium policy.  When the couple moved down the row, they were joined by a friend (how convenient), who sat there and vaped the whole time they were in those seats until the whole group got bumped a second time.    Do what you want in your own house/car, but they clearly announced that it was against stadium policy less than 5 minutes before he started vaping.  Rules apply to everyone, not just those that choose to obey them.
  • Like 3