Pet Peeves

10 hours ago, cthomas said:

Never understood youth league coaches who wanted to embarrass kids on the opposing team. When working with kids, there should be a concern for ALL of the kids and not just the ones on your team. There is such a potential to teach all of the right things about sports other than winning, especially at the younger ages. So sad when that opportunity is missed.

At what age do you (or anyone else that feels like answering) think it should turn into real competition?

I ask because I'm truly torn on this...I was 7 when I started Little League and we started "keeping score" right away. Enjoyed it immensely, and learned not only how to handle the disappointment of losing, but also how to handle winning and sportsmanship...

Our youngest daughter started playing t-ball at 5...She was fortunate in that her first coach was the head baseball coach for Hinsdale Central High School (Chicagoland) and he made sure everyone on the team knew the rules...force play vs tag play...what to do on defense or running the bases on a fly ball or ground ball...how to run through first base...excellent teaching of the basics...

It was shocking to me the number of opposing coaches that year, and to be honest all the way until she was 8, that didn't do that...

My view is that around 8 or 9 the lessons should be more about competition and how to deal with winning and losing along with building on already learned skills. 

I know at that age around here, they start separating "travel teams" (where you have to try out and it's competitive) from basic recreational play (no score keeping)...I think that's a good way to handle it...

BTW, if I had been the opposing coach in @BGleas's game, I woulda made it 4 on 4 :) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

At what age do you (or anyone else that feels like answering) think it should turn into real competition?

I ask because I'm truly torn on this...I was 7 when I started Little League and we started "keeping score" right away. Enjoyed it immensely, and learned not only how to handle the disappointment of losing, but also how to handle winning and sportsmanship...

Our youngest daughter started playing t-ball at 5...She was fortunate in that her first coach was the head baseball coach for Hinsdale Central High School (Chicagoland) and he made sure everyone on the team knew the rules...force play vs tag play...what to do on defense or running the bases on a fly ball or ground ball...how to run through first base...excellent teaching of the basics...

It was shocking to me the number of opposing coaches that year, and to be honest all the way until she was 8, that didn't do that...

My view is that around 8 or 9 the lessons should be more about competition and how to deal with winning and losing along with building on already learned skills. 

I know at that age around here, they start separating "travel teams" (where you have to try out and it's competitive) from basic recreational play (no score keeping)...I think that's a good way to handle it...

BTW, if I had been the opposing coach in @BGleas's game, I woulda made it 4 on 4 :) 

Don't get me wrong, our league at 6th grade is very competitive. It is a travel basketball league. We have standings, divisions, playoffs, only two teams in each division make the playoffs, etc.  

I'm all for the competiveness. We won a huge game a couple weeks ago and I told my boys after last night that I was more proud of they fought and battled down a man then I was even in our huge win a couple weeks ago. 

I agree with your larger point about competiveness, etc.  Though I will get on my high horse and say that I think its completely ridiculous to play zone defense in youth basketball, travel level or not. While competitive, up through 6th grade should be about teaching and learning, not the wannabe coach boasting about his record on Facebook. 

Anyone can throw a zone defense our there at this age and win games, but it teaches the kids nothing. 

I also think pressing at this age should be limited. Not zero pressing, just some parameters around it. 

With all of that said, my big gripe was that coach pressing when up a man. I thought that despicable and that coach should be ashamed of herself. 

You're not the first person that has said to me that they would have pulled a man to make it 4 on 4. 

What made us even more mad was once our big guy got his 3rd foul, this other coach immediately called a timeout and we saw her teaching her big how to flop during the timeout. 

The next time down we throw it to our big and while the pass is in the air, their guy defending him goes flying out of bounds (without being touched) and boom...4th foul on our big. 

That lady is what is wrong with youth sports. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't have a problem with the competitive aspect in youth sports. Life is a competitive endeavor and sports can teach a lot of positive things in that regard. I mostly have a problem with coaches and parents who act badly and set bad examples for the kids. You can teach competitiveness and sportsmanship at the same time. Too many adults have their ego tied to winning and losing instead of teaching and helping the kids grow as human beings. I have never embraced the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality because I don't think that teaches the right things either. But when you have a clearly superior team, attempting to run up the score and humiliate your opponent serves no useful purpose. I believe it's largely an adult problem that can become a kid when that behavior is what the kids learn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's a pet peeve. 4 hour windows for furnace crew or insert any other service (water heater, AC, Cable,etc...) when did we as consumers say this is ok? 

I'm in the 10-2 window today and I guarantee my phone will ring at 148 with them saying on their way. 

That always reminds me of the classic Seinfeld episode where Kramer is waiting on the Cable guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

That always reminds me of the classic Seinfeld episode where Kramer is waiting on the Cable guy.

Or the scene from Grown UPs 2 when Chris Rock is supposed to fix his mother in laws cable between 8 and 4. He sits outside the house waiting for her to go to bathroom and runs and rings doorbell and leaves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

And don't even get  me started on Home Depot and whoever they hire to install/deliver dishwasher, microwave, fridge....still waiting for those folks to finish up what they started in mid December. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And don't even get  me started on Home Depot and whoever they hire to install/deliver dishwasher, microwave, fridge....still waiting for those folks to finish up what they started in mid December. 

Yeah, I had a big issue with Home Depot installers with my water heater last summer...

My furnace/AC coil are in an upstairs large closet with the water heater. Plenty of room to work...they knocked the drain line off the AC coil when installing the water heater, and this was the result...IMG_20220104_105127.thumb.jpg.42935dffe29548689289508a95b83341.jpg

Leaked through the ceiling into our hallway...they fixed it, but it took 3 days and a lot of inconvenience...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I had a big issue with Home Depot installers with my water heater last summer...

My furnace/AC coil are in an upstairs large closet with the water heater. Plenty of room to work...they knocked the drain line off the AC coil when installing the water heater, and this was the result...IMG_20220104_105127.thumb.jpg.42935dffe29548689289508a95b83341.jpg

Leaked through the ceiling into our hallway...they fixed it, but it took 3 days and a lot of inconvenience...

Took advantage of some Black Friday deals and are redoing the kitchen. Micro and fridge were easy...but the dishwasher install is been going on since mid December. Now here's the funny part. The first one they delivered didn't have the foam or support stuff...and didn't have brackets to cover wires. So instead of just sending guys out with those things they are sending out a new dishwasher with those supplies. Uninstalling a new one to replace with new one????

Will be my last time with the good folks at Home Depot.

• Like 1

Setting

• Two lane road
  • Stoplight
  • No left turn
  • Left-hand lane is straight only
  • Right hand lane can be straight or a right turn

Pet Peeve:  The dumbass at the front of the line in the right-hand lane at the stoplight who is going straight, and is blocking the 9 cars behind him that want to turn right.  That left hand lane is there for a reason you dumb s@#t.  

Yes.  This happened to me tonight.

Carry on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Setting

• Two lane road
  • Stoplight
  • No left turn
  • Left-hand lane is straight only
  • Right hand lane can be straight or a right turn

Pet Peeve:  The dumbass at the front of the line in the right-hand lane at the stoplight who is going straight, and is blocking the 9 cars behind him that want to turn right.  That left hand lane is there for a reason you dumb s@#t.  

Yes.  This happened to me tonight.

Carry on.

There is an intersection in Jasper where this happens all the time. 

Also, when a road is split by a crossing road, drivers not understanding right of way. For example, side street split by highway.  I'm in right lane turning right onto highway, opposite lane turning left.  Jackass turns as I'm turning but I have to stop to avoid an accident.  Ugh. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

There is an intersection in Jasper where this happens all the time. 

Also, when a road is split by a crossing road, drivers not understanding right of way. For example, side street split by highway.  I'm in right lane turning right onto highway, opposite lane turning left.  Jackass turns as I'm turning but I have to stop to avoid an accident.  Ugh. 

In downtown Louisville, there is a F'ed up intersection that I go through twice a day.  The street going East/West (Liberty Street) is one way headed East.  3rd Street intersects with Liberty.  The quirk is that North of Liberty, 3rd Street is one way headed South.  However, South of Liberty traffic is two-way. 

My parking garage is on the block just South of Liberty.  So, in the morning, when I'm headed to the garage, it usually is not a problem   However, when I leave the garage at the end of the day, it gets a little weird.  I turn left out of the garage and go North.  Half a block later, I have to turn right onto Liberty and use it to catch 2nd Street to keep going North.  Shouldn't be that big of deal.  The problem is 75% of the cars going South on 3rd Street that also want to turn onto Liberty don't realize I have the right-of-way.  Yes, they are on a one-way street turning onto another one-way street, but I am the one turning right.  They are turning left.  It's my right-of-way.    

• Like 1

If someone were to compile a list of the top 10 scourges in society, people that blatantly ignore the item limit in the self-checkout lanes at the grocery are near the top.  Was in my second grocery of the night to buy TWO items (because the first grocery is unable to stock properly, but that's another story).

Six self checkout lanes were distributed as such

• One was not operational
  • One was in use by a person who apparently never used self-checkout before based on the number of times they had to call the attendant over.
  • One was occupied by a person paying with cash that fed about $30 worth of singles into the machine
  • Another was occupied by a person that moved with the speed of a three toed sloth.  I take that back, she was slower than a sloth.
  • And TWO lanes were filled with people who apparently did not think the big sign that says (Limit 20) did not apply to them.  Both of these carts were north of 50 items, and one may have been pushing 80.

I sarcastically commented to the attendant that maybe they should make the # of items signs a little bigger.  She responded that it would not make a difference.  She didn't seem to pick up on the fact that I was 'encouraging' her to enforce their own rule.

But, the store enforcing the rule is beside the point.  What get me is people thinking they are entitled to ignore things like that.  Common courtesy means nothing to them.  As a result, you have a half-dozen people with 5 or less items standing there for 5-10 minutes waiting for a lane too open up.  

I used to get frustrated with people that would get through the regular grocery lane waiting for the cashier to finish ringing up a thousand items and then suddenly realize they need to pull their wallet out or get in their purse to find a means to pay.  You had an eternity to do that while your $300s worth of groceries were being rung up.

But, I now think the entitled donkeys that grossly exceed the item limit are even worse.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If someone were to compile a list of the top 10 scourges in society, people that blatantly ignore the item limit in the self-checkout lanes at the grocery are near the.  Was in my second grocery of the night to buy TWO items (because the first grocery is unable to stock properly, but that's another story).

Six self checkout lanes were distributed as such

• One was not operational
  • One was in use by a person who apparently never used self-checkout before based on the number of times they had to call the attendant over.
  • One was occupied by a person paying with cash that fed about $30 worth of singles into the machine
  • Another was occupied by a person that moved with the speed of a three toed sloth.  I take that back, she was slower than a sloth.
  • And TWO lanes were filled with people who apparently did not think the big sign that says (Limit 20) did not apply to them.  Both of these carts were north of 50 items, and one may have been pushing 80.

I sarcastically commented to the attendant that maybe they should make the # of items signs a little bigger.  She responded that it would not make a difference.  She didn't seem to pick up on the fact that I was 'encouraging' her to enforce their own rule.

But, the store enforcing the rule is beside the point.  What get me is people thinking they are entitled to ignore things like that.  Common courtesy means nothing to them.  As a result, you have a half-dozen people with 5 or less items standing there for 5-10 minutes waiting for a lane too open up.  

I used to get frustrated with people that would get through the regular grocery lane waiting for the cashier to finish ringing up a thousand items and then suddenly realize they need to pull their wallet out or get in their purse to find a means to pay.  You had an eternity to do that while your $300s worth of groceries were being rung up.

But, I now think the entitled donkeys that grossly exceed the item limit are even worse.

You missed the biggest pet peeve in all this.  

The grocery stores themselves.  They force people into self checkout with a lack of human cashiers.  There is a game plan being rolled out to condition society into accepting self check out as the norm(not a conspiracy, there are grocery marketers online in interviews that explain the whole thing).  You replace the employee and save the company money, which raises their profits and stocks.  

Kroger is the most loathsome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

You missed the biggest pet peeve in all this.  

The grocery stores themselves.  They force people into self checkout with a lack of human cashiers.  There is a game plan being rolled out to condition society into accepting self check out as the norm(not a conspiracy, there are grocery marketers online in interviews that explain the whole thing).  You replace the employee and save the company money, which raises their profits and stocks.  

Kroger is the most loathsome.

I found a way around that. Car side service. Order online and pay online.  They shop for you and bring your shit to the car. Win win. 

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I found a way around that. Car side service. Order online and pay online.  They shop for you and bring your shit to the car. Win win. 

I actually like shopping.  I know where all the clearance stuff is stashed in my stores.  Last week I got about 7 lbs of grass fed strip steaks for 4.99 a lb.  

There are plenty of times I'm irate at the obvious and purposeful lack of staffing.  

Speaking of, i went to Penn station Sunday night.  Placed our order and waited for our name to be called.  After 17 mins and about 5 people came and went, i thought, ok, ill at least refill this lemonade and see whats up.  They must have known they screwed up because the 3 people working ignored me for 6 mins straight.  It was so weird.  Finally this kid that looked about 17 1/3 of the way apologized about lack of staffing.  Never asked what I wanted.  My wife comes up and was like what is going on.  Finally, i said, i have to go to work, what's going on with our food.  The kid said its coming.  There were no cordon Bleu being made.  Then I APOLOGIZED and said, im not trying to be rude but i need a refund, I have to go to work, its been 23 minutes and you still haven't started my food.  Right about then the kid whimpers Katie and it sorta sounded like my wife's name.  He had given our good to someone else that walked out the door about 10 mins ago named Katie.  I got the refund with a very weak apology.  Dont go to penn station Noblesville off of 37.  2nd time its been a hot mess.  

I guess Ill stick with chick fila.  We would have gotten 3 free meals and some stock options after being disregarded like that.  

• Like 1

I don't like the videos that automatically open when you are reading a story online.  But, what really irritates me is when the video has absolutely nothing to do with the story you are reading.  Normally, it's the 2nd video that loads after the first is done when the printed story takes a while to read.  But, here's a hint to these websites.  YOU DON"T NEED TO LOAD A SECOND VIDEO!  IF THE FIRST VIDEO AND THE PRINTED TEXT TELL THE INTENDED STORY, THAT"S ALL WE NEED!

Reading a story on ESPN this morning about the Bengals/Chiefs matchup.  Kind of a long story from a text standpoint. The first, related video, runs its course.  Here's the second video that loaded.  WTF?  Does someone reading a story about the Bengals/Chiefs matchup care about what Joel Embiid has to say after an NBA game?  If you must have a second video (and there is no need to have one), at least make it football related, preferably about the teams the story is about.

image.png.35bcba9cde7537837d84b699fdd4df0f.png

• Like 1

Another pet peeve:  When at an ATM machine and the car behind you just has to pull right up on your bumper during your transaction and plenty of space for them to stay back.  Hope it's nobody on here but I do take my sweet time organizing my wallet and whatever else I feel like doing to make them wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1